Quantcast

padded cycling shorts

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Who wears them? I never have... I just deal with a brused/calliased (sp?) butt. When I ride regularly, it doesn't bother me, but last night was a rough ride and I'm sore this morning.

So what's the general consensus on padded shorts?
- A little slice of heaven and I don't know what I'm missing?
- Nice, but not necessary?
- Only for wusses?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I never used to wear them, I just suffered happily. Then I tried them, thought it was nice but no biggie until I went back to regular shorts, pure torture. Now I wont ride with out them

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
jacksonpt said:
Who wears them? I never have... I just deal with a brused/calliased (sp?) butt. When I ride regularly, it doesn't bother me, but last night was a rough ride and I'm sore this morning.

So what's the general consensus on padded shorts?
- A little slice of heaven and I don't know what I'm missing?
- Nice, but not necessary?
- Only for wusses?
How can you NOT wear them? They MUCH more comfortable for anything over a 2 minute pedal to get your mail. In addition they are much more durable than any pair of underwear (boxers or boxer briefs) you will ever buy.

Not sure, just buy a cheap $19 pair on-line and throw them on under a pair of regular shorts and go for a long ride. You will feel the difference. Then you can start finding ones you like best.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Won't ride without them. They are way cooler when riding in the heat here in Texas.

I like the fieldsensor(more cottony feel) type as opposed to the slick/lycra type.

V

Vermont

yep wear em under my AXO shorts...its more about getting the sweat/bactearia out of there and having a seamless spot to sit on than padding. take a look at regular shorts/underware...they all have a bit knot where all the seams come together...you are sitting on that when you ride...ouch.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I always wear them. I am a freak, I LOVE them. I just buy the Voler ones - about $45 and they are awesome.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Acadian said:
nuts?? then you're saddle tilt probably isn't adjusted right!

for me it's inside the thighs...
No, my saddles are set correctly - that does not seem to matter though, they still bang around from one side to the other as I pedal. Occasionally I will hop on the bike for a quick trip to the store in my regular clothes... never a good idea for much past that though.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Serial Midget said:
No, my saddles are set correctly - that does not seem to matter though, they still bang around from one side to the other as I pedal. Occasionally I will hop on the bike for a quick trip to the store in my regular clothes... never a good idea for much past that though.
you probably have lower hangin' fruits than mine then! :rolleyes: :p

Another good thing about lycra...keeps then nicely packed! ;) :thumb:

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Who wears them?
Can't speak to road riding, but for anything over an hour on tech XC they are a requirement. Just make sure you get some with a good thick chamois. Most of the cheaper shorts aren't padded as well and it definitely makes a difference. I have had good luck with Fox Shorts. You can get 'em fairly cheap from Supergo. They seem to sell them for less $$$ than most.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Hmmm...I like the chamois, but i still tend to get sore between the bag and the butt...Is there any really good chamois? I've got some Fox Mid-Rangers that are midpriced but its just got basic chamois.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
xbluethunderx said:
Hmmm...I like the chamois, but i still tend to get sore between the bag and the butt...Is there any really good chamois? I've got some Fox Mid-Rangers that are midpriced but its just got basic chamois.

You may want to look in to chamois cream.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
MtnbikeMike said:
You may want to look in to chamois cream.
The cheapest most widely availble option I'd reccomend would be Udder Cream. Bagbalm is also nice, but if you have a leather saddle it will "recondition" it in an unfortunate way. Noxema also works in a pinch, but it is a little to thin and slick for my tastes.

Chamois cream is a necessity for me, especially for xc races or any time I will really be grinding my 'taint.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Heidi said:
I always wear them. I am a freak, I LOVE them. I just buy the Voler ones - about $45 and they are awesome.
I'll second the Voler bibs. Of course, I have different plumbing than Heidi, but they work well for me too, and the price is right.

rockracing

Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Cape Town, South Africa
gotta have fresh bibs, just bought 2 new pairs the other day, could never imagaine riding a bike without them (and some chafe cream)

I remember seeing a mate of mine after the cape epic (8 days off road, 5-8hrs a day)wearing 2 pairs of shorts, think he was chaffed in a BAD way !!

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
You cannot beat a pair of quality bib shorts for any rides where you're in the saddle long particularly if its hot. The chamois will absorb sweat and sort of stick to your skin so you don't chafe as badly. If you wear an over short to protect the lycra short or because your a bit modest or shy about girls seeing your pee pee, you might sweat more and it can be more uncomfortable. Bag balm and the like can be added to mitigate potential problems. We did an epic ride on a trail called Comfortably Numb a couple weeks ago. It wasn't hot but its a 5:45 ride for us with plenty of stops. Nearly all of us had sore butts from a long sweaty climb. Probably 4 hours of uphill.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Well, I took advantage of a sale at EMS this weekend and bought a pair. Not sure when I'll have a chance to try them out, but I'll let ya all know.

Thanks for the input everyone.