Quantcast

Pads

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Originally posted by Repack
My PPT and an ortho I talked to this weekend said that all the knee brace mfg's- Sport Inovation (maker of CTi2), Donjoy and others- are all using the same hinge design. But that could be like saying all wheel use the same design b/c they are all round. Still nice to know that its a quality design.
I WANT A SET!!!

And the knee warmer+shorts idea is sweet. I was just going to buy my gf some moto pants, but now have an excuse to be cheap!
the guys who make asterisk are owned by CTi. It is the exact same brace, with no customization and a different fitting system!

crashing_sux

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Vancouver, WA
Originally posted by Acadian
maybe we should get a group buy going? maybe they would cut us a deal?
I heard someone did a group by (on one of the motorcycle forums) a few months back, they got 4 sets for $450 a set. Not much cheaper than you can get them from the guy on the KTM Talk forums (it's a business, just a deal you get if you mention you saw it on KTM Talk).

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Originally posted by Acadian
maybe we should get a group buy going? maybe they would cut us a deal?
That could be an idea ya, then we can all look like bionic men! Once i get a few checks in this week i think i can afford a pair at about $450 or so. I will try calling them today and see whats up.

crashing_sux

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Vancouver, WA
Originally posted by Transcend
the guys who make asterisk are owned by CTi. It is the exact same brace, with no customization and a different fitting system!
It's close, there are a couple differences though, the Asterisk has a small amount of side to side play in the hinge since they have to deal with people who have varying angles between their tibia and femur (as it's not a custom fit). The Asterisks also use a lace up system of holding it on your leg which most people feel works better than the velcro straps of the CTI and other braces and the Asterisk also has a much better integrated knee cup.

They aren't very bulky at all as they are designed specifically for MX where you need to be constantly grabbing the bike with your knees.

Here is a link where you can read a review and see a picture of it actually on someone's leg. http://www.dirtrider.net/drn_tested/kneebraces/a_cell.html

crashing_sux

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Vancouver, WA
And his knee, after only one day. He said by the next day his whole leg was black and blue from halfway down his thigh to halfway down his shin but he was able to walk fine with just pain from the bruising.

He had it checked out by his doc and was told without his brace he would definitely have had torn ligaments. You can see even a few hours after the crash how much sideways force was on the knee against the brace pad (where the main bruise is). The brace broke, but absorbed the impact and re-distributed it throughout the whole leg instead of just letting the leg bend sideways and tear ligaments. Looks like a job well done to me.

Attachments

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Originally posted by crashing_sux
.........they have to deal with people who have varying angles between their tibia and femur (as it's not a custom fit). The Asterisks also use a lace up system of holding it on your leg which most people feel works better than the velcro straps of the CTI and other braces and the Asterisk also has a much better integrated knee cup............
I like the looks of the lace-up. I wish that the top strap on my CTi2 was solid. I've seen a lot of football players with the solid 'straps'. The CTi2's get shipped with the velcro straps so that they can be adjusted to compensate for swelling/atrophy asociated w/ surgery, but now that I am 5.5 months post-op, I wish I could clamp it down and not have to worry about the straps moving.

RE: Cracked Asterisk: What is the warranty on those things? I am pretty sure that the CTi2 comes with a 3 month for the straps, 1-3 years on the frame (can't temember which), and lifetime on the hinge. Does that sound right? Is it the same for the Asterisk?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I don't know what the warranty is but I doubt anyone would consider a huge crash a warranty issue. Normally warranty is for workmanship, not abuse.
I'd day at that point (casing a 60' dub) I'd just be happy to have my knees.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Originally posted by Transcend
I'd day at that point (casing a 60' dub) I'd just be happy to have my knees.
No sh!t. $500 for a knee brace replacement is better than $5000 for a knee replacement. I've had miniscus surgery on both knees, acl reconstruction on one and a bone compression on the other. I'm likin' this thread now.:D Some good info.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
I don't know what the warranty is but I doubt anyone would consider a huge crash a warranty issue. Normally warranty is for workmanship, not abuse.
True. I wasn't thinking of anything beyond "Broken part not good".