Quantcast

paging dr. woo...dr. woo to the er plz

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I rarely come here anymore, but I'll clarify because he's talking about me!!

I did destroy one previous Al frame, it was a GT DHI back when I lived in Whistler. They all used to crack. The GT pro team used to have heaps of rear triangles and kept changing them. Was a great bike apart from that.

Carbon wise, the frames that kept cracking were SC Blur TRCs. They all developed a circular crack (a known issue) around one of the lower pivots. It wasn't catastrophic by any means, but SC kept giving me new frames so that was that. After a while, they just told me to pick a new frame as they had discontinued the TRC. So I went with a 1st gen Bronson CC. Never had a problem with it and it's still running strong. I now have a 2017 2nd gen Bronson CC. No problem here also. I think they got their issues with carbon resolved with the older generations of frames.
Hah! The carbon apologist has arrived! GT DHI was indeed notorious for cracking...

Well, there you have it, nothing to add :)

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
much better.
Interesting. From what I've seen in the bike industry, that's the exception. why? Because in just about every case, whether I've been involved in frames, brakes, shifters, stems, wheels, whatever.....the typical Taiwan factory production engineer is not. I would say most of them are vocational type Solidworks students.

And they rely extremely heavily on anything they may have done before. To the point of absolutely resisting any new technique, even f it means changing things without telling the designer (me) always to bad effect. Not to say that I can't and haven't learned, but mostly that would be from some old plant or production manager. The production "engineers", not so much.

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
yup. brings a different perspective. I really wonder if any exist in cycling, but judging by what we see and hear, probably not.
Right. See my post above. In the cycling world, we all rely on our "production engineer" at the factory. And it's generally not a great thing. Just another thing to keep track off, where anything can and will go wrong.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Interesting. From what I've seen in the bike industry, that's the exception. why? Because in just about every case, whether I've been involved in frames, brakes, shifters, stems, wheels, whatever.....the typical Taiwan factory production engineer is not. I would say most of them are vocational type Solidworks students.

And they rely extremely heavily on anything they may have done before. To the point of absolutely resisting any new technique, even f it means changing things without telling the designer (me) always to bad effect. Not to say that I can't and haven't learned, but mostly that would be from some old plant or production manager. The production "engineers", not so much.
i work in a heavily regulated industry. HEAVILY.

Shizzon

Monkey
Jun 25, 2015
pretty funny. this stood out: " And none of that even matters, because everybody knows that the most important work necessary to build bikes all happens in the marketing department."

One thing is designing a bike, the other is developing the process and methods for manufacturing to ensure the idea becomes a true reality. Which seems to be the missing link with literally all of these companies. You need manufacturing engineers to make manufacturing process and methodology decisions, not mechanical engineers. I have yet to meet a mechanical engineer that truly understands this blind spot.
Hi there!

We do exist, I swear: BS Mechanical Eng., MS Manufacturing Eng. (Graduate work is technically still in process due to a delay in completing my thesis/project).

This combination of mechanical and manufacturing engineering has proven to be very valuable to me in my short carrier thus far. I am currently in a ME design position (opto-mechanical sensor and product design) but definitely pull heavily from my background in Manufacturing Eng. when I am designing components/assemblies.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Hi there!

We do exist, I swear: BS Mechanical Eng., MS Manufacturing Eng. (Graduate work is technically still in process due to a delay in completing my thesis/project).

This combination of mechanical and manufacturing engineering has proven to be very valuable to me in my short carrier thus far. I am currently in a ME design position (opto-mechanical sensor and product design) but definitely pull heavily from my background in Manufacturing Eng. when I am designing components/assemblies.
You're 23 and this is your first job out of college right?

;)

Shizzon

Monkey
Jun 25, 2015
I wish, I turn 30 in February. This is the second position that I have had since completing my coursework. I get it, the use of the term "background" is a bit unconvincing in light of my fairly recent release into the working world and away from the familiarities of academia.

I now feel the need to validate my aptitude and experience in engineering to prove a point to some random person on the internet. Behold:

Before I was recruited by my current employer I worked for 6-7 months at a local foundry, however, I was primarily pulled in to help with a new venture for the company; firearm manufacturing (starting with AR15 parts accessories and working our way up to potentially complete firearm manufacturing in house). I was the first engineer to work at this place, they were a family owned and operated outfit that has specialized in the casting (both centrifugal and static) and subsequent machining of cobalt and nickel alloys (turning/milling 55-58 Rockwell C is no fun). I did a little bit of work on this side of things such as mold design/machining but not much.

While employed with them I designed two different AR15 lowers and one upper. Designed is a bit of an exageration; I adhered to published Mil. Spec drawing tolerances for critical dimensions and functional features while making the outside shape something different and marketable in a CAD environment; though I will confess to liking the look of the final designs.

I was, however, responsible for using/operating the CAM software (GinnsCam) to develop the NC programs for the 4-axis 30k spindle Kitatura Mill's we were using for production; well actually, I first had to design/develop the work holding for the three setups that the lower went through and two setups the the upper required. Then you create the programs that cut the work holding that you designed, that then are used to hold the actual parts that we are trying to machine, now your ready to make the programs for the actual parts; speeds, feeds, endmill/tooling selection and optimization....check. Okay let's cut some parts. I also worked with crusty old NC operators with a crap load of experience and fine tuned programs that Indeveloped; inspected parts along the way for critical dimentions, and became familiar with methods of measurement and general machine shop practices.

I am by no means an NC programmer or machinist in terms of skills/knowledge, but I can tell you that this experience helped me in a big way to become a more proficient designer of things that can actually be produced with the processes and capabilities that our volumes of production and product market costs allow for. My design process for a part/component now incorporates how I would like to see features achieved as a NC programmer or machinist (if conventional turning/milling are to be used for instance) instead of just some guy that can make cool solid model designs in CAD...

At my current position I am fulfilling ME design role in which I am not directly involved in the production of the milled/turned parts I design, our machine shop handles that. I do decide what materials to utilize and throughout the design phase I am thinking about the methods and processes that will be used to ultimately produce the part/s. Generally speaking I get very few calls from the shop about a design feature that they can't achieve; the occasional drawing error for sure, but they like receiving drawing packages from me;)

Clearly I should spend my time outside of work doing more productive activities such as riding my bike.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Hi there!

And you my friend, are a rarity. With that experience, I'm certain you understand my point :)

Shizzon

Monkey
Jun 25, 2015
I have a good amount of runway at my current employer luckily, but I suppose that you may be right for my current location of Southern Oregon if I were to try and find another position.

Involvement in the cycling industry would be awesome and truly a dream come true, and I do have a couple industry contacts on the 'old linked-in account from my years as a part time bike wrench; but I am also finding my current position to be exciting due to the shear variety work that I get to be involved in.

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
I have a good amount of runway at my current employer luckily, but I suppose that you may be right for my current location of Southern Oregon if I were to try and find another position.

Involvement in the cycling industry would be awesome and truly a dream come true, and I do have a couple industry contacts on the 'old linked-in account from my years as a part time bike wrench; but I am also finding my current position to be exciting due to the shear variety work that I get to be involved in.
Involvement in the industry is both good and bad. Some people claim it's the end of their riding. i think they are the wrong people to be in the industry. I am a professional mountain biker and have to ride to do my job. Which is great, because i am a sick fuck and unemployable in normal industry.

Also, I find the pay scale quite low compared to professional motor racing. This probably applies as a comparison to most industries.This is one reason why we get hack carbon parts and pretty components that never work. I think the bike company hiring model is to hire young people for cheap and burn them out before you have to pay them more. I hope I'm a little wrong. But I see a lot of people put a few years in and then go to a real job where they can get money and benefits, instead of just cheap bikes.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Also, I find the pay scale quite low compared to professional motor racing. This probably applies as a comparison to most industries.This is one reason why we get hack carbon parts and pretty components that never work. I think the bike company hiring model is to hire young people for cheap and burn them out before you have to pay them more. I hope I'm a little wrong. But I see a lot of people put a few years in and then go to a real job where they can get money and benefits, instead of just cheap bikes.
so then all the dentist bike money is going straight to mike sinyards bank account?

Shizzon

Monkey
Jun 25, 2015
Involvement in the industry is both good and bad. Some people claim it's the end of their riding. i think they are the wrong people to be in the industry. I am a professional mountain biker and have to ride to do my job. Which is great, because i am a sick fuck and unemployable in normal industry.

I managed to maintain the "cheap bikes" deal for a decent amount of time while working as a full time engineer by keeping a part time position at the bike shop that I worked at since high school. Working a handful of days a year in order to keep EP pricing was definitely worth it to keep my costs low; then shop ownership changed and I was being asked to work 2-3 Saturdays a month on top of my 50+ hours a week at my primary job (not to mention working on my thesis on the side).

It wasn't worth not having time to actually ride the bike so I decided to part ways.

Working in the industry has always been a goal but as you stated it is not exactly an area where Engineers can expect to earn a competitive wage for their skill set. My current best route to that end I think is actually at my current employer; the VP is way into MTB (just purchase an new Pivot 5.5) and we end up talking "bikes" a few times a week. Lets just say that the topic of "we should make our own bikes" has come up a few times....Also, I am friends with Cesar Rojo of Cero Designs on Linked-In, so my fallback is to learn Spanish and move to Spain :)

Shizzon

Monkey
Jun 25, 2015
Not sure if you are referring to me or my employer. I can assure you that I am not up to the dentist pay grade yet, not to mention the only carbonz currently on my Megatrail are the ENVE DH bars.

It was my previous employer that dabbled in firearm manufacturing and pulled me in to lead the charge. I currently work for a company that produces instrumentation for contamination monitoring (primary gas/liquid particle counters and the software to integrate/collate data from respective sensors/locations into a easily view-able/actionable format).

Just want to make sure that I give you to proper ammunition for subsequent attempts at humor.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Not sure if you are referring to me or my employer. I can assure you that I am not up to the dentist pay grade yet, not to mention the only carbonz currently on my Megatrail are the ENVE DH bars.

It was my previous employer that dabbled in firearm manufacturing and pulled me in to lead the charge. I currently work for a company that produces instrumentation for contamination monitoring (primary gas/liquid particle counters and the software to integrate/collate data from respective sensors/locations into a easily view-able/actionable format).

Just want to make sure that I give you to proper ammunition for subsequent attempts at humor.
Gotcha... definitely not a dentist then.

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
So are weapons-makers the new doctor/dentists?
when I was in school, all of the recruiters were from defense industry. Partly because UNM Alb was close to Los Alamos, but apparently it had developed a reputation as defense industry spot. So, I made fun of all my classmates (and vice versa). I mcked them for taking all the high paying jobs making guns, tanks and bombs, while bragging that was using my education for something with no redeeming social value whatsoever. I was goin racin.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Do you have an engineering degree?
Engineering is for rookies.

I studied Physics. The mother of all engineering!

As soon as you guys give me a sphericaal rider/bicycle system, with close to zero friction, I can give you a generic solution with a couple of adjustable constants.

Edit: Perfect gearboxes with zero energy loss are still valid in this model.

Last edited:

Shizzon

Monkey
Jun 25, 2015
Might work if done in pitch black darkness.
The application of the product or the torquing of said fasteners?

In regards to my carbon handlebars use; Kidwoo is already aware of my desire to risk all by riding an identical set of enve DH bars for something like 4-5 years. In my defense I'm heavy and crash a lot.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
The application of the product or the torquing of said fasteners?
Hey, I just used to model shit up for an ideal universe with zero singularities. Real world application is your field.

In regards to my carbon handlebars use; Kidwoo is already aware of my desire to risk all by riding an identical set of enve DH bars for something like 4-5 years. In my defense I'm heavy and crash a lot.
You're clearly not crashing the proper way.

Last edited:

Shizzon

Monkey
Jun 25, 2015
If by that you mean I haven't crashed due to handlebar failure during an otherwise fairly common occurrence like casing a jump/drop then you are correct. My modes of failure generally include speed, obstacles and/or terrain, and the loss of skin.

Do I get any e-creds for breaking carbon cranks? 1x previous gen six-c with cracks in the carbon spider and two of the latest generation Cinch six-c's (drive and non-drive side)....