Quantcast

paging dr. woo...dr. woo to the er plz

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
Hey, I just used to model shit up for an ideal universe with zero singularities. Real world application is your field.
that's kinda what I told the physics dept when they asked me if I wanted to switch majors. I said "physics is like the philosophy of engineering". Asking questions that have no answer.

If a tree falls in a black hole, does it disrupt the time/space continuum???

but i am fond of string theory, how can you not be?

back on topic, this thread isn't really encouraging me to rush into carbon frame construction....

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
that's kinda what I told the physics dept when they asked me if I wanted to switch majors. I said "physics is like the philosophy of engineering". Asking questions that have no answer.

back on topic, this thread isn't really encouraging me to rush into carbon frame construction....
My field was nonlinear dynamics. We used to model the wavefront progression of the electrical impulses which caused the heart muscles to contract. The objective was to identify possible causes for arritmia. I ended up using a similar model to study the propagation of stress failure in non-cristaline solids.

I despise string theory. It's like trying to hold a F35 with Band-Aids (not that they tried though).

But yeah, the core of our business is try to explain why stuff works in a certain way and pave the road for the engineers to apply those models to the real world. That was literally the first thing my Physics 101 professor told us on his inaugural class: "The moment you start trusting your model more than reality, you have basically screwed everything up".

Last edited:

Good.

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
My field was nonlinear dynamics. We used to model the wavefront progression of the electrical impulses which caused the heart muscles to contract. T
did you apply this to an inverted T-wave ekgs in endurance athletes?

Side note: don't go to the VA hospital after a bike crash. They are ready for old vets that are having heart attacks.

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
M

I despise string theory. It's like trying to hold a F35 with Band-Aids (not that they tried though).
C'mon, you have to love string theory. Everything made of vibrating strings (fits in with my musical connectedness theory) and up to 12 dimensions we can't see (fits into my Why I Crash theory)

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
Everyone breaks those, no e-cred for you!
If by that you mean I haven't crashed due to handlebar failure during an otherwise fairly common occurrence like casing a jump/drop then you are correct. My modes of failure generally include speed, obstacles and/or terrain, and the loss of skin.

Do I get any e-creds for breaking carbon cranks? 1x previous gen six-c with cracks in the carbon spider and two of the latest generation Cinch six-c's (drive and non-drive side)....

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
did you apply this to an inverted T-wave ekgs in endurance athletes?
No, mostly to chagas patients and smoking-induced arrhythmia ones, via 24-hour holter records. I still remember how learning the very first sip from a cigarette you take in the morning induces a lateral arrhythmia (i.e. the left side of your heart starts going out of phase with respect to right side) made me cringe back in the day.

The bottom line of all my time with that investigation group was if you had a stroke, it's highly probable you'd die from another one. The heart muscle becomes horribly scarred after having one, and that prevents the electric wavefront from progressing evenly across the muscle. That leads to intra-muscle arrhythmia -an anisotropic muscle contraction- and ultimately to another stroke, which leaves another scar, and so on until your heart collapses.

Last edited:

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Oh good you can tell me what happen to my head. Lattice free, that one.
That was almost 15 years ago. In order to process the ever increasing amount of data we were gathering, I had to dive deep into parallel computing, and that led me to be a very competent UNIX systems administrator.

I ended up having more fun as a SA than as doing physics, and I still do. But I still have a warm feeling for anything related to physics.

Last edited:

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Have you seen the vastly improved math math physics-y sciency stuff behind boost hubs? :brows:

Some truly amazing work being done in bikes these days. You know, if you need another move.
Fun fact: as many guys around here, I designed and built a dirt jumper frame, together with a friend who studied industrial design. We wanted to start on the safe (and cheap) side, which basically meant we got a too heavy, too solid frame. Riding it was basically akin to trying to manual a M1 Abrams tank.

Last edited:

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016

Fun fact: as many guys around here, I designed and built a dirt jumper frame, together with a friend who studied industrial design. We wanted to start on the safe (and cheap) side, which basically meant we got a too heavy, too solid frame. Riding it was basically akin to trying to manual a M1 Abrams tank.
That's the "safety factor" effect. One of the most frustrating things about mechanical engineering was when they introduced the "safety factor". It works like this: do tons and tons of tedious calculations, finite element analysis, you name it. Come up with your lightest, strongest design......then...for safety... because all your calculations are math equations based on assumptions.....multiply everything by a safety factor of 2-3!!!

I was stunned. What?? We can't get any closer than that???

Then we look at carbon handlebars with a wall thickness of, apparently, +/- 3 mm......hmmm, what was that safety factor??? save me baby jebus

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
What's next? A new seatpost clamping standard to allow you to actually tighten your dropper seatpost MORE than hand-tight, thereby fixing the issue of slipping and rotating seatposts + forcing you to buy a whole new $500 seatpost. You read it here first.

Last edited:

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
#overboost. i've said too much.
oh fuck. Yes you did. I was just on skype with a factory that asked about boost plus. I said WTF is that. The said either 150 or 157.....well, that's within normal tolerance, right??

Note: Not for my bikes. They are 148. that's enough

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
What's next? A new seatpost clamping standard to allow you to actually tighten your dropper seatpost MORE than hand-tight, thereby fixing the issue of slipping and rotating seatposts + forcing you to buy a whole new $500 seatpost. You read it here first.
Or you just can buy the right seatpost clamp: https://www.vecnum.com/en/products/tooloc/

Their Moveloc dropper post is pretty sensitive to high clamping forces, therefore they developed this new seatpost clamp. Works well (both post and clamp).

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Round seatposts make no sense.
See earlier in thread about manufacturability.

Round holes are the easiest holes to make. Also the easiest to seal.

Road bikes have been using aero shapes or a while, but that pretty much requires splody, death inducing, ocean killing, cancer causing, sun decomposing, dentite, lizardy crabon fibres.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
That's the "safety factor" effect. One of the most frustrating things about mechanical engineering was when they introduced the "safety factor". It works like this: do tons and tons of tedious calculations, finite element analysis, you name it. Come up with your lightest, strongest design......then...for safety... because all your calculations are math equations based on assumptions.....multiply everything by a safety factor of 2-3!!!

Then we look at carbon handlebars with a wall thickness of, apparently, +/- 3 mm......hmmm, what was that safety factor??? save me baby jebus
double it, then cut it in half

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
If I ever see anyone here involved with a patent for hexagonal steerer tubes/stems/upper headset bearing adapters, I'm gonna crowdfund a trip to your location to have Floyd Mayweather punch you in the nuts for 30 straight minutes.
Octagon? Pfffft. Spline all the things.

10 spline steerer, 12 for bars and 13 for seatposts. Different spline shapes for each.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Octagon? Pfffft.
Did you manage to misplace your reading glasses grampa?

If I ever see anyone here involved with a patent for hexagonal steerer tubes/stems/upper headset bearing adapters, I'm gonna crowdfund a trip to your location to have Floyd Mayweather punch you in the nuts for 30 straight minutes.
PS I'm calling dibs on that idea.

heavy metal

Monkey
Mar 31, 2011
HI

mechanical engineering is the art of performing precision guesswork based on unreliable information obtained from dubious sources

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
mechanical engineering is the art of performing precision guesswork based on unreliable information obtained from dubious sources
BUT, this is key.....Being absolutely certain that you are 100% correct, telling everybody you are, while being blind to fatal flaws. it's basic 101