Quantcast

Paging SandraR

tammy

spyderzmom
Oct 10, 2001
lost
How are things going for that 24 hour solo race? Sorry I wasn't much help on the posting board for you. I'll try again here for you.

CLOTHING: Try to take 2-3 changes of clothes (more if the weather is bad or wet). Nothing's worse than damp cold clothes. If you have two helmets and two pair of gloves, great. Extra shoes and socks are a wonderful bonus, as is chamois butter.

BIKES: Two are great, but at least try to have extra parts available, i.e. seatposts, saddles, pedals, etc.

FOOD: Eat what you're used to. Metabol (especially chocolate) works well for me, plus it can be heated up like hot chocolate on those cold night laps. Make sure to maintain your salt intake. Drink plenty of water (you should be urinating roughly every 2-3 hours and it should be clear), in addition to sports drinks for the electrolytes. No really heavy meals, though. Light sandwiches are good.

SLEEP: Try not to rest for more than 20 minutes maximum at a time - it's very hard to get going again after a long nap break. 15 minute power naps work well (it's only 24 hours, after all, and the human body is amazingly resilient and adaptable).

SUPPORT PERSON: This should be someone who ideally has done endurance races before him or herself. They need to be the type of person who can push you, but can let it go when you get grumpy (and you will at some point, trust me!), and not take it personally. To help them out, try to let them know what you want/need food and drink wise as soon as possible so they have time to get it ready, and remember they're only human (and usually are doing this for free or very little compensation, so don't forget to thank them, A LOT)

LIGHTS: Make sure you have more lights than you think you need (aim for total of at least 8 hours burn time at minimum 15 watts), and that they are fully charged on race day. Many lighting companies will loan/rent systems.

PACING YOURSELF: Know what pace you canmaintain for roughly 3-4 hours. Talk to the other solo racers - most of them are very friendly. Enjoy the scenery. Don't get so caught up in the "gotta win no matter what scenario" that you miss out on some of the unique gifts 24 hour solo racing has to offer such as riding through sunrise (this is a MUST - there's nothing else on earth like it), the comraderie that comes only with completing one of these races solo, along with the other riders who stuck it out, too. You'll make friendships that will change your life. You'll also gain a new respect for yourself - but don't let that go to your head - rather let it give you a new respect for all those other folks who suffered out there with you. After doing this, even once, you will be a part of something that is so much more than its individual parts. Also, don't forget to thank the fans who will spend cold nights out on the course for the sole purpose of cheering and encouraging you - these, for me at least, are the true heroes of 24 hour racing - they keep me going when I truly feel like giving up.

Best of luck to you, and please do keep us informed on your progress. I hope solo endurance racing transforms your life the way it has mine, and look forward to maybe some day having the privilege of competing with you!

E-mail me if I can be of any further help to you.

All the best,

tammy

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Wow that's a lot of really good info thanks Tammy. Sandra’s been sick and i don’t think she's been logging in. if i can remember I’ll tell her. I was supposed to see her tonight but I’m sick and am going to skip the trainer class.
Later
T