Quantcast

Pain in Upper Chest?

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
I have had this nagging pain in my high chest area after a hard work out (ride, or cardio at the gym) for the past week. It kinda hurts to take a deep breath. Like some one is pressing on me......

Anyone else? Thanks.

nikwho

Monkey
Jun 16, 2006
Flagstaff, Az
well, as long as your discription is nagging and not pinching or excrutiating, i would say that you might just be sore from your workout! is it recurring or just from a week ago?

Boomer-61

Chimp
Jul 17, 2002
Atlanta, GA
Just saw your post. I don't know your age of fitness level but anytime I hear the words "chest pain" I worry. There are different types; the ones that are benign are nothing to worry about but the ones that are not can kill you. It would be worth a trip to your family doc to have this checked out. You want to know for certain if this pain is just muscle or if it's heart related. Once you know for certain you can hammer to your hearts content.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Snacks said:
I have had this nagging pain in my high chest area after a hard work out (ride, or cardio at the gym) for the past week. It kinda hurts to take a deep breath. Like some one is pressing on me......

Anyone else? Thanks.
it changes when you breathe? does it feel like the breathing/expansion of the lungs is causing it?

where exactly is this pain? does it radiate or spread anywhere? back, neck, face, arm, other side of chest?

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Is it Heartburn or a Heart Attack?

Chest pain is one of the most common reasons a person goes to the emergency room. While many of these patients are suffering from a heart attack, some actually may be experiencing severe heartburn.

Often, the pain caused by a heart attack and during a severe heartburn episode is so difficult to distinguish that sophisticated medical testing is needed to determine whether or not you are having a heart attack. To complicate matters even more, the two problems have many of the same symptoms and occur in similar types of people (For example, older age and overweight people.)

Possible signs of heartburn that could be mistaken for a heart attack include:

*A sharp, burning sensation just below the breastbone or ribs.
*Pain generally does not radiate to the shoulders, neck, or arms, but it can.
*Pain usually comes after meals, when lying on the back, when exercising or when experiencing anxiety.
*Symptoms usually respond quickly to antacids.
*Rarely accompanied by a cold sweat.

Possible signs of angina (severe pain in chest area) or heart attack:

*A feeling of fullness, tightness, or dull pressure or pain generally in the center of the chest.
*The feeling of a belt being tightened around your chest.
*Sudden chest pain or pressure that worsens.
*Dizziness.
*Pain may spread to the shoulders, neck, jaw or arms.
*Pain often responds quickly to nitroglycerin.
*Shortness of breath.
*Often accompanied by a cold sweat.
*Possible lightheadedness.

If you have any pain that lasts for more than a few minutes or any warning signs of a heart attack, seek immediate medical attention.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Go to a DR. My dad had a few chest pains last week while we were hiking. 3 days later he had a heart attack. Seriously. He is fine now but they had to insert a stent in one of his arteries. Chest pains are SERIOUS.