Quantcast

painting a frame

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
First off... I did a search. If I decide to strip it down and re-paint it, I know exactly what to do.

But I'm wondering if I need to strip it down. Can I just clean it up real good, sand it real lightly, then rattle can it and clear coat it?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
stosh said:
dude painting that mongoose will not make it a good bike
lol... but it won't be as ugly.

Actually... it's a pretty decent bike - I just never knew how to keep it tuned up, and I was too cheap to pay the LBS to do it. I'm thinking about swapping out the rear shock and putting some lighter parts on it and using it as more of a true XC ride. There are a couple of local trails where my 575 is overkill (still fun, but overkill), and a tuned Mongoose could be just the ticket. The trick will be finding a decent used shock. I think Cane Creek is the only one who makes replacement shocks that would be an upgrade... and I'm betting used ones are few and far between.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
MMcG said:
Get a cheap hardtail frame and put the Mongoose parts on it. :)
I've been talking with Victor about that lately... looking at a Kona frame, but it's going to end up being a bit more expensive than I was hoping... mostly because I;d have to buy disk brakes.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
jacksonpt said:
lol... but it won't be as ugly.

Actually... it's a pretty decent bike - I just never knew how to keep it tuned up, and I was too cheap to pay the LBS to do it. I'm thinking about swapping out the rear shock and putting some lighter parts on it and using it as more of a true XC ride. There are a couple of local trails where my 575 is overkill (still fun, but overkill), and a tuned Mongoose could be just the ticket. The trick will be finding a decent used shock. I think Cane Creek is the only one who makes replacement shocks that would be an upgrade... and I'm betting used ones are few and far between.
I knew you were having a love affair with that 70lb XC bike.

J

JRB

stosh said:
I knew you were having a love affair with that 70lb XC bike.

Quit making fun of him. At least he rides a bike. :nuts: with a little kung fu.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
loco-gringo said:
Quit making fun of him. At least he rides a bike. :nuts: with a little kung fu.
He's just mad because me and my $500 mongoose can ride circles around his training-wheeled Ironhorse.

J

JRB

jacksonpt said:
He's just mad because me and my $500 mongoose can ride circles around his training-wheeled Ironhorse.

yup - uh huh - I know - he can't help being a hater. :stosh:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
jacksonpt said:
I've been talking with Victor about that lately... looking at a Kona frame, but it's going to end up being a bit more expensive than I was hoping... mostly because I;d have to buy disk brakes.
EBAY! :)

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
jacksonpt said:
I saw an add in the latest MBA - Avid mechs for < $40. I keep forgetting who advertised that price though.
I meant get a frame via ebay - but you could get the brakes there too - or right here in the RM buy and sell. Saw a few adds recently for Avid Mech setups.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
jacksonpt said:
I saw an add in the latest MBA - Avid mechs for < $40. I keep forgetting who advertised that price though.
ebay

*message to short*

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I think we lost jackson, I told him he needed to find the fit kit size for his 1975 mongoose frame.
I bet he's off scouring the net for this info.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
ok... back - sorry... had to go get my truck from the dealer.

I'm looking for various things... brakes, shocks, etc. - I'm shocked at how little support there is for Mongoose Frames... almost like no one makes parts for them. What gives? :help:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
jacksonpt said:
ok... back - sorry... had to go get my truck from the dealer.

I'm looking for various things... brakes, shocks, etc. - I'm shocked at how little support there is for Mongoose Frames... almost like no one makes parts for them. What gives? :help:
wanna trade for my iron horse?