Quantcast

Painting...

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Or rather priming. The swing arm on my Altitude 70 is looking rough...and besides, it is time for new bearings and I have always hated the color. Want to take the color off and shoot a coat of primer on it, seal it and forget it. Whats the best legal way to remove the paint from an aluminium swing arm?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
the BEST way would be to blast it.

the aircraft stripper works great but you'll need to wire brush nooks and crannies, welds etc and probably have a bit of a mess afterwards.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
If you're just going to prime/seal it, why not just sand to rough it appropriately to prime over the old paint? Then you'll basically just have an extra layer of paint protection, and wont have to deal with nasty strippers!

Last edited:

ronnyg801

Chimp
May 27, 2009
If you have the time and a few bucks getting it media blasted is a great idea, drop it off, pick it up voila, done!

I have a paint back ground and have always used 80 grit media, no issue. but to not get into the debate of whether or not you will harm your bike, look for some place who can do soda or walnut shells.

Chemical stripping is the cheapest method but not the easiest or cleanest (for you) it is simple though and needs to be done in a well ventilated space (outside) I would still use a respirator and GLOVES no matter what. it may take a few sessions of stripper.

I am also not opposed to the idea of just scuffing and recoating the existing paint if it is in good shape, there really isn't anything wrong with it,