Quantcast

Palmer Comeback

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Palmer is going to start a new trend at world cups......being slow and drunk is the real way to win. I can see myself getting a full ride in 2010:cheers:

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
"Shaun Palmer will race select World Cups aboard a Santa Cruz for 2009."

Not unless USAC enters him as a national selection or the UCI grants him an exception based on results from 10 years ago. No way he is going to get 20 uci points without some serious globe trotting.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.

Not unless USAC enters him as a national selection or the UCI grants him an exception based on results from 10 years ago. No way he is going to get 20 uci points without some serious globe trotting.
1 race with UCI cat 1 status in any not so competitive south american country over the winter. Mission accomplished.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
1 race with UCI cat 1 status in any not so competitive south american country over the winter. Mission accomplished.
hence why i said globe trotting. though you know first hand just how many fast local riders can show up in obscure places in south america and surprise a few people. no doubt palmer is talented, but its been 10 years. if he wants it bad enough i'm sure he will find a way to make it happen. the real test will be if he can qualify for a WC final.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Didn't work so hot for Nico, so I can't see Palmer being able to do it.

That said, hes not quite the average person either....
Not winning while THERE IS LITTLE INPUT ON RESTULTS yeah no wonder it wont be glorious and that is why they said palm will only be on a few races. Still it wasn't as bad with Nico for sb who isn't really determined at winning to qualify 5th at such difficult track as Champery before many great riders is quite good.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008

Isn't the SC Syndicate a trade team? So no UCI points required, or? :lighten:

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Didn't work so hot for Nico, so I can't see Palmer being able to do it.

That said, hes not quite the average person either....

after 5 years off he shows up in Champery and qualifies 5th after passing the 2 guys in front of him, beating all but four of the who's-who of modern WC racing on one of the toughest tracks ever. Then he gets caught out by the weather (and Hill) just like everyone else. that's pretty impressive!

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
Palmer was interviewed last weekend during the Jeep 48 straight race from Utah. He said he tried to qualify for that race but did not make the cut. So he was going home to train for the California Jeep 48 straight race.

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
more like faster than all of north america, and faster than all but 3 people in the northern hemisphere. didn't work out too well for him at all, eh dropmachine?
after 10 years and the age difference between nico and palmer...i would be impressed if he qualified for a WC final. given the age of Peat..i know I shouldn't take that into account, but Peat has been on it since Palmer left. though, I wouldn't put it past palm to somehow get 20 UCI points (do they carry over from previous...10 years ago?) in order to compete..he has been known to put his own money where his mouth is in the past. He is a great athlete and if he wants enough, there's no doubt he can get it done. But....so much has changed since he left, better bikes, faster riders...can he hack it? should be interesting.

SinatorJ

Monkey
Jul 9, 2002
AZ
it does not really matter if he can hack it or not. He still will get more press than all of us on here combined. Probably one of the most influencial racers to ever get on a DH bike and he has been on vacation for a decade.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Palmer was interviewed last weekend during the Jeep 48 straight race from Utah. He said he tried to qualify for that race but did not make the cut. So he was going home to train for the California Jeep 48 straight race.
Sweet will try and get some shots of him there!. BTW for the above poster NICO was faster than everyone for 10 years!

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
I know Nico was faster. No doubt one of the best riders to ever live. But doing well in qualifying ain't the same as a successful come back. Using the weather as an excuse doesn't cut it. I mean, I know the guy is human, of course, but I would think that were he "back", he would have managed to get down the hill the same as the rest of the top guys.

In any case, should he continue, and palmer comes back too....wow. All we need is Myles coming back, and we're all set. :)

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
DH racing should have a masters race, like BMX always use to for the older guys. Even though they can probably keep up with today's kids it would at least give them a venue to race at without having to get all the fancy UCI points.

I wouldn't expect much out of any athlete that has been away from racing for as long as Palmer has to be in the top 5. For him to be in the top 25 would be a good feat, but some people who are good at sports are good no matter what the age. I'm sure he could embarrass some pro riders at any given track; I just don't think you're going to see him pass riders like Hill/Smith/Rennie etc....

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Now that the UCI banned skinsuits he better comes back! After all, he started that MX-gear-gangsta-sh!t!!! :imstupid:

primo661

Monkey
Jun 16, 2008
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
not sure why you lumped rennie in there....he hasn't had a result in a while and has gotten a ways off track.....heard him and his beer muscles got a little lippy with roskopp in vegas and lost his job by the way.......:brow:
to be honest, he is less likely to pass Rennie as opposed to smith.

rant on. you guys cant say "o no if it was dry at champery he would have got a top 5" because thats the same arguement as if Greg Minnaar didnt slash his tire at the south american world cup race in 06 he would have been world champion or if his shoulder hadn't dislocated and caused him to fall at the 07 world champs he woulda won or most recently Sam Hill at worlds this year. yes, if those things hadnt happened, they would have won their respective titles but they didnt. rant off.

palmer? back? i hope so. i wasnt riding back when he was ripping it up and although the uys have stepped it up in the last few years and i cant imagine him doing well, it could be interesting:cheers:

LittleBIGjumP

Monkey
Jul 15, 2006
Gold Coast OZ
Next year will be supa interesting, riders on new teams, new bikes and Palm back to top it off.

Bring on 2009 season. Looking forward to Freecaster parties.

LBJ

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
not sure why you lumped rennie in there....he hasn't had a result in a while and has gotten a ways off track.....heard him and his beer muscles got a little lippy with roskopp in vegas and lost his job by the way.......:brow:
You mean like the 4th at Fort William and the 2nd at Mt Stromlo that he didn't get? :lighten:

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
One of the most influential people in the history of our sport.
Even at 40 years of age, he's going to be fun to watch.
So what if he doesn't win?