Quantcast

Paris Mt DH Race Update Info Oct 16th and 17th

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up on what’s going on for the St. Francis Sports Medicine Paris Mountain DH race. Its only 16 days away!!!:thumb:

Friday the 16th:
Riders can practice during the normal Park hours. There may be a shuttle after 3pm, but all riders are asked to shuttle themselves that day.
Pre-Race Party at Barley’s Tap Room downtown Greenville will start at 6pm. Anyone racing and entered at that time will get an arm band for Beer (Must be 21 years or older) and a raffle ticket for that nights drawings. Red Bull will be hosting a Premier of the NWD 10 Dust to Bones video around 6:30 at the party. People attending the event that are not racing and want to drink from our Beer Sponsors Kegs are asked to make a $5 donation. They will also get a ticket to that nights Raffle drawings. All proceeds to this Raffle go to UpstateSORBA to help with trail building at Paris Mt State Park. This year’s grand prize will be a Mountain Board from Ground Industries.

Saturday the 17th Race Day: Note changes in Red!!!
  • 8:30am Registration opens and Practice starts with first shuttle going up the hill.
  • 10:00am Registration & Check-in Closes! Show up late = No racing for you. No Exceptions.
    [*]Practice will close at 10:50am with a Rider meeting at 11am around the Registration/Staging Area
    [*]Racing will start at 11:30 with a 30min break between race runs
  • Awards will follow 30mins after last racer is down the hill at Registration/Staging Area.

Pro payouts at this time are:
  • Men 1st $500, 2nd $300, and 3rd $150
  • Women 1st $300, 2nd $150, and 3rd $100
    If we have a strong rider turn out like last years race we will pay out more, maybe to top 5!!!!!
  • All other classes will be prizes 3+ deep
    If you were at last years race you will understand the amount of cool prizes we had to give away to all our winners. Well that will happen again this year!!!

We are asking that you Pre-Register Race to save us time on race day and yourself $10.
You can do that at or the night of the Pre Race Party or at Active.com:
http://www.active.com/page/Event_Details.htm?event_id=1774461&assetId=49bc4d4f-a007-4fd2-8662-c24510352d0a

Race Web Site:
http://parismountaindownhill.com/

We would like to thank all of this year’s sponsors for helping us make this event happen:

Thanks to all that is helping us put this event on and hope to see all you racers there this year,

Cecil:cheers:

Last edited:

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Wait, so it costs $50/$60 for about 2 hours of non lift-assisted practice and a race run? :think:
As for Race day time frames, they are not set in stone. I opened up practice another hour till around 10:50am to 11am from what it says on the site. We are open to an extra hour more, but it will be based off how many racers show up. We need to be wrapped up by 6pm that day. Logistics of the race running on time and crowd control are very important to the future of this race growing……

As for cost, understand you all walk away with stuff!!!! About $15 to $20 worth of stuff. You get free Beer the night before and a raffle ticket in that night’s drawing. Just think a racer walked away with a sweet Frame at last year’s Pre Race Party by just racing.

For the amount of fun you will have and all the fun things we are putting together for you $50 to $60 is not asking much. Plus all the $$$ are going back to help the Trail system there. No one makes any $$ on this race. If you knew the true plans for what myself and UpState SORBA is trying to do you would be super happy to help out by spending that much.

I am thinking after the race during the time its over till Awards, maybe having a Bunny Hop contest!!!! What do you guys think? We should have some cool prizes for that.

Thanks,
Cecil:thumb:

brado1

Monkey
Jan 2, 2008
G'Vegas SC
Wait, so it costs $50/$60 for about 2 hours of non lift-assisted practice and a race run? :think:

Haro i'm sorry this seems steep, but what money if any made is going back into the trails, the plan is to have enough to bring in a pro trail builder in and get a trail that eliminates having to ride the road to the top.

all racers get a 1 T-shirt, 1 pint glass and free beer , sh!tload of swag,

ride the course all day the day before..(last year we couldn't do that) we had to do it all in 1 day...

this year day of? 3 hours of shuttled pre runs and 2 race runs

we're not going to have the shuttle delays we had with a truck/trailer/bus combo we experienced last year.

we have a 26ft flat bed stake truck to carry riders and bike, and two 13 seat buses for spectators... and we can use 1 of the buses for hauling riders if we need it... so it wont be the long waits like last year.

man all i gotta say is, "try putting a race together" we're not getting rich by doing this it's all volunteer work.
insurance for the event so your mom/dad doesn't sue our asses off, or the park or sponsors...
park fees and permits to hold this in a state park almost
Truck rentals
cash pay outs
printing costs, shirts, pints
food & drinks for volunteers shirts for them.

Last edited:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Just rode it tonight on the DH bike for the first time. Awesome trail. Worth $50.00 to drive less than 1 hour. If you spend $30.00 and have to drive 2+ hours back and forth to an event, it would cost more.

Oh..and the Chris Warren rock garden is lame. The other 99.9% of it rocks it and socks it. Lets do this.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Brado - complaining is part of the game here on RM. Don't worry about it.

Last year's Paris Mtn race was one of the best run races I have ever attended. It's totally worth the $$$ - which isn't any more expensive than most other races I've attended this year.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
all racers get a 1 T-shirt, 1 pint glass and free beer , sh!tload of swag,

3 hours of shuttled pre runs and 2 race runs

Just my opinion but,

-you can take out the money for the thsirt out of my entry fee. If I wanted one I would by one.

-pint glass is okay

-free beer is okay, but the night before a race? No thanks.

-Swag, not thanks. If I wanted something I will just buy it.

I didn't race last year because of the entry fee and I'm on the fence for this year. But it just doesn't seem like a good deal for me. :think:

Also do away with the 2 run format. Its much more of a challenge to get it all right with only 1 run. :thumb:

brado1

Monkey
Jan 2, 2008
G'Vegas SC
Although I do have to agree with Doug about the t-shirt and one run format, I'm excited about the swag.

i appreciate the input, something to think about for next year's for sure.... Yeah having the party after the race would be sweet, no doubt. but after the races is over we've got an obligation to the park to have no trace of the race before we split... being a State Park we can't have alcohol there... so the party has to be somewhere else.. sucks

but 2 weeks out, it is what it is....

Last edited:

steve owens

Chimp
May 22, 2008
Hendersonville,N.C.
Hopefully I will be able to make it to the race this year. But, to me, $60 seems like a small amount to be able to have a good time and hang out with your bros,with the possibility of picking up some goodies as well. I'm not a big drinker, but the mug alone would cost you at least 10 bucks. Factor in the shirt, free beer, additional swag, and also getting to ride downhill without having to pedal all day to do so. I know 60 bucks seems like a lot, but I can't take my family out for a movie and a cheap dinner for less than 100 bucks. There is always the alternative. Don't go and save the money. Or, spend the bucks, have a good time, and feel good knowing that part of your money will actually go back into a really nice place to ride. :thumb:

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Hopefully I will be able to make it to the race this year. But, to me, $60 seems like a small amount to be able to have a good time and hang out with your bros,with the possibility of picking up some goodies as well. I'm not a big drinker, but the mug alone would cost you at least 10 bucks. Factor in the shirt, free beer, additional swag, and also getting to ride downhill without having to pedal all day to do so. I know 60 bucks seems like a lot, but I can't take my family out for a movie and a cheap dinner for less than 100 bucks. There is always the alternative. Don't go and save the money. Or, spend the bucks, have a good time, and feel good knowing that part of your money will actually go back into a really nice place to ride. :thumb:
Thanks!!!!!!:thumb:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I'll give my 2 cents on it:
Simply put, the course rocks now. Its actually a place that I like to go to and do Dh runs which is something I was not saying last year. The berms that were built, and the places where the track was opened up to carry more speed simply add a lot of fun and flow to the course. With a couple of more small things to finish before the race to make it even better, I can say that course this year is really going to kick ass.
The event will be ran well, and the park itself is a great place to hold an event and bring your family as well.

And yes, honestly I think the entry fee is high. But at the same time, I have a dog in this hunt. I know what trail they want to build with the money earned from this race, and it is VERY much needed. This trail will do 2 things.
1) It will cut out a long paved climb that you have to do in the middle of your trail ride and 2) and most importantly, this trail will mean that Billy Brake Dragger will ride down a trail to get back to his car instead of riding Mach 40 down a paved road in a Tour of France tuck on knobby tires all while narrowly missing big trucks driving up the hill. Somebody is going to get killed soon on that road.
So, come out and race. Save a life. Do it for Billy. :D

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Thanks to Jeremy, Dave, and Matt, Richard, Pat from Ground Industries we got 5 new Berms cut in today. It is Flow haven!!!!! Jeremy was laughing like a giddy school girl and was not even on his bike!!!! Will get some pictures up soon.

Thanks guys.

Last trail work day is going to be the 10th of Oct. Plans are to finish the rest of the new flow section and clean up a few turns some. Need about 15+ workers that day.

Cecil :thumb:

Last edited:

So-EastMatt

Chimp
Oct 24, 2003
The track is definately more fun than it has ever been at this point and it's going to be a really good race. It looks like I'm going to have to miss the event this year because my wife and I are going to be arriving home from the hospital with the first addition to our family the day before the race. I really hope turn out is good though, I know nobody will be let down and I REALLY hope it goes off next year so I can finally do my hometown race!

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Alright, last night we did trail work at Paris from after work until dark.
And I can honestly say that I have never seen so much trailwork done is such a short amount of time.
3 guys from Ground Industries showed up which is a Mountain Board shop.
These are the same guys who are responsible for the work that was done on the Mountain Board park at Beech Mtn., so you know these boys can throw around a shovel. Its also sick to see these guys sponsoring and helping out with our sport.
Anyway, we built 3 huge deep new berms, that were very much needed, and then rebuilt two more old ones. cleaned out some stumps, and filled in some ruts to open things up a little.
IMO, the track is now prime and ready to race.
The course just has a great mix of rough, bumpy and tech, combined with really good flow.
Ha, you guys know that I like to race on any course, but in all honestly, I think this track is one that everyone will enjoy from all skill levels.
I hope everyone gets a chance to come out.

steve owens

Chimp
May 22, 2008
Hendersonville,N.C.
The track is definately more fun than it has ever been at this point and it's going to be a really good race. It looks like I'm going to have to miss the event this year because my wife and I are going to be arriving home from the hospital with the first addition to our family the day before the race. I really hope turn out is good though, I know nobody will be let down and I REALLY hope it goes off next year so I can finally do my hometown race!
Early congratulations on the new baby.You've got a really good reason for missing the race. Many blessings, Steve

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
I have to say a very big thanks to Matt Griffin AKA So-EastMatt for all the Trail work he has help us with. He was at almost every trail work day. I am sorry once again he can't make his home town race this year. "Matt you know I pushed hard for a Sat race this year for you man!!!!" But its reality, having a child for the first time Trumps the race and everything else in life by 100 folds.... Congrats to Matt for joining all the proud Fathers out there.... Matt it&#8217;s a great feeling man!!!!

We will all have a Beer for you bro!!!!

Cecil:cheers:

roperacer

Monkey
Aug 17, 2009
chattanooga tn
after the ttc race this weekend, if i dont slide down a mud shoot and hit a tree, i am thinking about trying out the paris mtn. race, can i get any info on the run? lenth? big gaps? classes? videos?and where exactly is it? i am going to try to go to most of the southern races to help us plan out our races at the ttc

brado1

Monkey
Jan 2, 2008
G'Vegas SC
after the ttc race this weekend, if i dont slide down a mud shoot and hit a tree, i am thinking about trying out the paris mtn. race, can i get any info on the run? lenth? big gaps? classes? videos?and where exactly is it? i am going to try to go to most of the southern races to help us plan out our races at the ttc
all the info you need >>> www.parismountaindownhill.com

Course is less than a Mile... drops about 650-700ft elevation... couple of drops, no gaps, lots of roots and rock, bunch of eroded fall line trail, a dozen or so nice berms... one short pedal section in the last third of the course.

video from last year

brad

Last edited:

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
90% natral DH course..... No Gaps. 15 pedal strokes on the course after the start. About 7 man made berms and one man made rock garden. You will have a super fun time if you come. You will be able to get lots of runs in too before your 2 race runs. Just ask anyone that was here last year how much fun they had. The funny thing is I know the race course is better now with the new sections we put in.

Don't forget about the pre race party on Friday the 16th down town Greenville. If you haven't ever been downtown Greenville, you should come. It's a great place and the Falls area is dope!!!! O'Yah lots of Bars too....

Hope to see you there,
Cecil

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Well we have just bumped up the Mens Pro Payout to:

1st $600, 2nd $400, 3rd $200, 4th $100, and 5th $75

Rider count is at 32 online right now and feel we will have about the same amount of racers as last year or more. We maybe able to tap out the 100 rider cap!!!!

I will be taping up some of the race course Thursday night and finishing it up early Friady for practice.

Cecil:thumb:

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
How about a $10.00 same day cash add on to be able to race hardtail?
Ok, we will do an add on for $20 on top of your Normal Entrey if you want to race both classes. The Hard Tail class is open to all racers and will be one class. The extra $20 must be payed the night of the party or race day from 8:30am to 10am.

Also we will be having a Bunny Hop contest between last racer down and Awards. The level will start at 1ft and go up every 2 ins from there. You get one shot to make it over to get into the top 5, then each rider will get 2 trys. It will be open to all and will start 10mins after the last rider is down the hill. There will be awards for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

Cecil

Last edited:

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
rideout, if it's your first race feel free to race beginner. No one can drill you for that. I raced Sport/Am at my first race back in 2007. I won and was called a sand bagger because I would have gotten 2 in the Ex/Pro class. I didn't know I would do well or not, because it was my first race. If you feel like you&#8217;re just as fast as as most you&#8217;re riding buddies and they race AM, then race AM.

Good luck man,
Cecil

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Well guys and girls the trail work is all done and ready to be Race on!!!!! Big thanks to the crew that came out for the last trail work day!!! I want to also give thanks to the guys that made almost every work day and most of all the work done happen: Jeremy R, David P, Matt G, Brad A, Jay, Pat F, the Ground Industries Crew, and the UpState SORBA group. The trail is Prime!!!! Below are some pictures I took today of all the new sections and work done.
Friday expect the shuttle vehicle to show up around 2pm. We will try to run it for 2 hrs before the Pre- Race party. Please feel free to shuttle yourself before then. &#8220;Just look out for any hikers and yield to them. Saturday will be open for full on fast race runs!!!!&#8221;

Saturday we are talking about extending practice another 30 mins to 1 hour. This means racing will start around 12ish now. We are doing this by running 30sec intervals on start times. On a 2+ min race course that is more than enough.
I really think everyone attending this year will be super happy they came.

Cecil :thumb:

1st Berm up top

2nd Berm up top

Exit out of last berm up top

New Small Rock drop up top

New work on the mid way 1st berm and the start to the new flow section

2nd berm in the new flow section

3rd berm in the new flow section

Exit of 4th berm in the new flow section

5th berm in the new flow section

Exit of 6th and last berm in the new flow section

Last years mid way berm built up more

New Turn cut in just above the Hair Ball Section

Just newly Named Butchs Rock Section

Top of the Hair Ball Section looking down. Pic gives no justice!!!!

A look up, once again no justice!!!! Yah anyone one say WC style?

The improved Wall Berm at the bottom of the Hair Ball Section

Another new berm was cut just before the new finish line. Sorry no pic.

New Race times for top Pros should be 2:15+ now.

See you there.

Last edited:

noobinacan

Chimp
Aug 26, 2009
Charlotte NC
I'm sitting here..eatin ice cream and giggling to myself.
anyone doing any practice runs tomorrow ?

I'll definitely be there for Friday Practice runs...