Quantcast

Paris Mt DH Race Update Info Oct 16th and 17th

brado1

Monkey
Jan 2, 2008
G'Vegas SC
Brad's got some awesome pics from the race:

This guy thinks I'm awesome. I think he's saying "Yeee! Hawwwwww!"

i had to ask that guy to stop picking rocks off the course and throwing them into the woods. seriously his response was "i don't want to see anyone get hurt" .... thanks pops!

i'll get some more Shots Posted soon.... I'm getting a lot of emails about Pro Photographers and photo links.....Most of the area pro photographers were up in Brevard shooting Todd Branham's Pisgah Stage Race (same weekend)

we had a volunteer out shooting. she said she would have a cdrom to me by the end of the week, but not holding my breath.... She had a nice cam setup, but never seen her work... I wanted to get Robert Seth (kinetic) again but it was too far a drive for him, he didn't make any money off Last year's race, i don't blame him either, it is just too easy on the internet to snag pix for free.

This year we received way more product then money from our sponsors, so there was no $$$ in our budget for a photographer....

i'll post links on the website and on RM as soon as i get'em but it may be a couple of days.

some shots i took are Paris Mt. DH 2009 - a set on Flickr

Last edited:

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
i had to ask that guy to stop picking rocks off the course and throwing them into the woods. seriously his response was "i don't want to see anyone get hurt" .... thanks pops!

There was this little kid right at the top that moved a nice sized rock 2 riders before my run. It wasn't really in the way of anything, but it was funny the way he did it Ninja like.

Dammit, no pics of plate #64 in Brado's gallery.

brado1

Monkey
Jan 2, 2008
G'Vegas SC
SO....to those that came down for the event What worked and what didn't work right this time? what would you change ? how would you change it? i'm putting together a lessons learned before starting to plan next year's event. what would you like to see? longer? shorter. different trail all together?

you wont hurt any feelings, please tell it like it is. thanks

brado

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
-Tape the track wide. Tapping a narrow course to force us over features takes away from the challenge of picking the fast lines or falling victim to sucker lines

-One race run. Again it takes away from the challenge of putting it all together when it matters. If you insist on a two run format, then use the first as a seeding run.

Racing is a complex arrangement of a lot of things and the challenge of the above two were missing from the Paris race.

Oh yeah, please try and get the party moved to after the race. It was a lot of fun, but I turned in early because I wanted to to do well in the race the next day.

Other than these to of my opinions, I really enjoyed the race and the party. Thanks for the hard work!

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
SO....to those that came down for the event What worked and what didn't work right this time? what would you change ? how would you change it? i'm putting together a lessons learned before starting to plan next year's event. what would you like to see? longer? shorter. different trail all together?

brado
First off, very nicely run event... Now onto my analysis

-At the shuttle pick up point, tape off a Disney world style "Enter line here" typ of deal. It will help with 2 things
1) keeping folks out of the way of the shuttle trucks trying to make that turn
2) keeping some over anxious (mostly groms) from cutting the line every time during practice

- Post up the run order at the bottom once registration is closed.
Not just the class order, but the actual racer order.
- Announce when racers by class should be getting on the shuttle vehicle.
IE instead of over anxious racers jumping on the first shuttle truck announce something along the lines of...
Pro Men, you should be on the truck
AM Men, you are up next and so on....
-For spectators it might help to have some suggested viewing areas and how to best get to them.
IE.. take the shuttle vehicle to the top, middle etc then enter the trail and walk left on the trail, right on the trail etc.
-Last but not least and Cecil you know I think you did a great job but...
The organizer should not be "running things" while trying to be the MC. Either run the show or run the mic.

oh and more pictures of me :thumb:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering

brado
I agree with Doug. The taping was over kill in a few places.
Kinda liked the 2 run format. Local race on a short track makes for lots of mistakes and allows you to make up for mechanicals or idiocy. I didn't see 2 people with identical runs. Heck, in a 1 run format I'd have been 7th and I still will take 2 runs at glory and 10th.

As for organization:
Start list posted at the bottom assigned by minute:
Minute 00, then :30, then 1:00 and so on.
Post a set start time. Make it 30 minutes later than you think you'll be ready to begin. With a 2 run format, it works great. If a person doesn't show for their set start time...they just make their second start. Call it the Ethan factor. Posting it takes a ton of pressure off the Bradites to do other things. Just point to the paper and smile...or fart...whichever.

If people show up and are told "This is the schedule...here is your start time. Be there", most of your busy work is done. If you've got to push the start back up top, 10-20 minutes, your riders are already up top waiting and it still works out. You never have to announce anything about times this way.

I also agree with Rob. Let someone else MC. Specificly someone who doesn't use the words "Shut Up" while mic'ed. :rofl: If the coordinators need to make an announcement, they can notify the MC to do so.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Oh, and I agree that the party would be much better on Saturday night. Eddie and I rode down from Asheville and did some practice runs, hit up the raffle, cut our free drinkage short to get home and take a slumber. We could have been rowdier at an "after-party". Lord knows Doug and his crew are all about some after party!

BUT I GOTTA SAY I LOVED THE EVENT REGARDLESS!!!!! LOVED IT!!! LOVED IT!!! LOVEEEEEDDDDDDD ITTT!!! Keep having it!!!

Do you have an address for the park staff to send them a thank you letter?

brado1

Monkey
Jan 2, 2008
G'Vegas SC
Oh, and I agree that the party would be much better on Saturday night. Eddie and I rode down from Asheville and did some practice runs, hit up the raffle, cut our free drinkage short to get home and take a slumber. We could have been rowdier at an "after-party". Lord knows Doug and his crew are all about some after party!

BUT I GOTTA SAY I LOVED THE EVENT REGARDLESS!!!!! LOVED IT!!! LOVED IT!!! LOVEEEEEDDDDDDD ITTT!!! Keep having it!!!

Do you have an address for the park staff to send them a thank you letter?
Thanks B

Paris Mountain State ParK
2401 State Park Road
Greenville, SC 29609-6743

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
I only have 2 suggestions:

1. Move the rock garden up the trail about 20 feet (I know that's a lot of work but you asked). And if you keep it the same, I would suggest moving people thru there and/or making a go around so it doesn't get all bottlenecked.

2. While I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY appreciate the volunteer course marshals, some of them seemed to be on a serious power trip. I heard some serious "snippiness" at a few of the stations. It really hurt my little girl feelings.

All in all though I couldn't have had a better time at the race. Both years were INCREDIBLY well run and it will certainly be an event to look forward to in the future. :thumb:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I had to think about this one for a while.
I'm not exactly the guy who is always pointing out negatives. I have a blast at almost all races, and this one is really fun.
Anyway:

1) First off, I say keep the racer limit at 100 for future years. I just don't think there is enough space at the top or bottom to have anymore than that.
If you want to grow the event, make it a 2 day event with another discipline like super d or XC. The shuttle situation is always going to be tight because of the lack of space, but it worked well this year.

2) The course. I love the course. If I was going to change anything, it would be reroute the course from the rock garden to the top of the uphill. I am sure we could reroute this and keep it fast and straight and have riders shoot up and over that small hill with a better section of trail. The start and finish could be in the same place, but with a smoother transition up that hill would make the course flow better. I would leave the rest of it the same.
As far as the tape, I said all along that the steep rootball section should be opened up and pinned. There is a sick straight line through it that is closed off for the race. :confused: Honestly, this track hardly needs any taping. That could be improved for next year easily.

I don't care either way about 1 run or 2. I would ask Matt Adams how hard it was having to deal with 30 second intervals though. I could imagine that made his day a lot rougher.

But all in all I loved the event, and I hope it can continue year after year.
It is what it is. A really fun local DH race. Trying to make it more than that is really not necessary.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
grow the event, make it a 2 day event with another discipline like super d .....

The course. I love the course. If I was going to change anything, it would be reroute the course from the rock garden to the top of the uphill. I am sure we could reroute this and keep it fast and straight and have riders shoot up and over that small hill with a better section of trail. The start and finish could be in the same place, but with a smoother transition up that hill would make the course flow better. I would leave the rest of it the same.
Ok now this is becoming more of a "Wish List" but to expand on Jermey's idea(s) and keep this thread going until someone posts a good quality photo of ME!...

1) So change up the DH course to include Jeremy's suggestions
1a) Thinking back the course doesnt really have a "jump" anywhere on it. That would be a cool addition maybe a gap over over one of the ravines that the bridge(s) cross?
2) Have a Super D race down this year's course, but keep it going all the way to the Ampitheater!

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Finish at the bridge before the rooty climb! :D
I was looking and you can make that incline a piece of cake to transition to the next section with a little work. If I could have come down to help with trail work, it would have been my priority. :p
If my fata$$ can make the climb subsequent to that bridge on my pig of a bike no one should be complaining!

Besides that section of trail right after, including the last corner was probably one of the funnest sections

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Guys, thanks for all your input to what you would like to see changed. Brad and I will highly consider a lot of this for next year&#8217;s event. Do please understand a lot of what we did this year was to try and improve it from the years pass. As for 30sec start times, we did that so you would get 2 runs and we wouldn't be there till 6:30+pm. I think next year will be a 1 run format at 1min gaps. This would also open up practice longer too. We did plan to have start times listed below for everyone, but the computer wasn't working with the printer Matt had. Not his fault. This is also a reason on why we had to push the start back. We worked on it for almost 1hr before getting just using another Lap Top. Feel free to blame it on me for not being prepared as much as I thought I was. We once again thank you for your commits and do plan to grow this event to be the one that everyone plans to attend in the South every year.

The event will be covered in Dec's issue of Decline Magazine. Other publications are going to be the Greenville Journal and Go Magazine.

Also Brad and I would like to use this forum below to send out to our sponsors, so and feedback on the event would be greatly appreciated.

http://ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224764

Thanks again for attending the race,

Cecil:thumb:

Last edited:

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Just to reitterate the race was awesome

We did plan to have start times listed below for everyone, but the computer wasn't working with the printer Matt had. Not his fault. This is also a reason on why we had to push the start back. We worked on it for almost 1hr before getting just using another Lap Top. Feel free to blame it on me for not being prepared as much as I thought I was.
Then don't even worry about it.

I think next year will be a 1 run format at 1min gaps.
So this was my first DH race and I liked the 2 run format. Is a 1 run a lot easier to manage? Were there lots of folks passing other riders due to the 30 second intervals?

I am just curious?

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
So this was my first DH race and I liked the 2 run format. Is a 1 run a lot easier to manage? Were there lots of folks passing other riders due to the 30 second intervals?

I am just curious?
1 Run is easier to manage. Also 1min gaps are too. 2 Runs just takes longer to run the event and kills into practice times. The reason behind the 30sec this year was to open practice up longer because so many people were complaining that there was not enough practice time this year. Runs were going to start at 11:30 this year in the beginning and I pushed them back. This means practice would have shut down around 10:50. The Park didn't want things ending late again this year. We were doing our best to give everyone what they wanted. We can't do that for everyone. Everything was planed out on a time line. It's a DH race. They never go as planned. I hope this helps everyone understand everything we have to deal with by putting this event on before it even starts.

Cecil

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Big props to this guy for using Smugmug and NOT locking the pics. He's an awesome photog:

Here's Jeremy jumping into a pit of venomous vipers and punji sticks:

Sexy me and my downtube sticker that was eaten alive my Goodrich All-Terrain TA tire.

Eddie rocking the old school pink Dainese...that's OLD school:

Kenan....apparently farting mid-turn:

Ann. Don't cry!:

Tweek...I mean Drew. Note the t-shirt: