Quantcast

Parking - It's NOT That Hard to Get It Right!!!

Old_Dude

Monkey
I have often thought of reciprocity for the people who park their vehicles poorly:

- fake tickets
- pre-printed notes "Lousiest parking award", "I thought Bush was a fool", et cetera

Several years ago I was looking for a place to park in our parking deck - it was raining heavy and the top floor seemed like the only thing available, but then, I found a spot - sort of. Somebody left their corvette about 6 inches over the line, taking up two spots and so, I did it!!! I pulled my VW bus right next to them - VERY CAREFULLY. I guess I was about 3 or four inches from their car (I was, unfortunately on their passenger side).

I don't know why, but it really irritates me to see vehicles parked so poorly. Especially the big SUV's taking up more than one spot.

Other than alerting the authorities (not an option) is there any "legal" retaliation I can take when I see an improperly parked vehicle?

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
At a small apartment complex I used to live at we had assigned parking spots. Some guys GF kept parkingin my spot so after 3 or so days of parking on the street (where she should park) I made up a letter informing her of the assigned parking. and that I had taken her car description and license plate number. I wrote the number on the page and at the bottom tore off a strip with the info on it for me. I let her know that the landlord said I could have it towed. She never parked in the assigned spots again.

:)

I was fumming at the time, but I am glad I didn't have it towed. She just needed to know the rules and I never really saw her park so I could talk to her. I put my apt # so she could discuss it with me if she had any questions.

I was serious and to the point and I thin the torn off bottom (little dotted line showing :-)o: yeah I made it look official ) got the messege across.

Rhino

I guess that didn't really answer your question......:think: I am not sure about action you can take. A nice door ding on his passenger door will remind him to park in the middle of the stall next time. :devil:

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
you should see the parking lot here at work. my car has been hit at least once. I had somebody get a police report written up, saying I hit their car (insurance company was contacted, the whole nine yards), it's just insane.

I actually saw a girl trying to park between two cars that were about five feet apart. she was going back and forth trying to line her car up to fit between them (this wasn't a parallel parking job, but in a lot with parking lines..).

it's insanity..

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Originally posted by RhinofromWA
but, but,

How else you going to park close to the baseball stadium? :rolleyes:

No excuses!!!

When I go to a mall or a mass parking situation I park as far away from the building as possible

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Originally posted by stosh
No excuses!!!

When I go to a mall or a mass parking situation I park as far away from the building as possible

whoa! me too.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I live on the corner of two rural streets. I always get the stupid garage sale signs and real estate signs posted on my yard. That never bothered me much. Then some jackas$ parked his car in my yard with a for sale sign on it. I got the number off of it and left a very angry message. I threatened to build a cinder block wall around his car and he would need a helicopter to get it out.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
Originally posted by Old_Dude
is there any "legal" retaliation I can take when I see an improperly parked vehicle?
Since you put "legal" in quotes - consider putting petrolleum jelly on their windows. It is a real PITA to get off, but does no real damage.

That, plus a polite note about the nature of their offence should discourage repeat offendors.

Only problem is when your friends notice the huge jar of Vaseline in your car, and wonder what it's for.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Originally posted by Westy
I live on the corner of two rural streets. I always get the stupid garage sale signs and real estate signs posted on my yard. That never bothered me much. Then some jackas$ parked his car in my yard with a for sale sign on it. I got the number off of it and left a very angry message. I threatened to build a cinder block wall around his car and he would need a helicopter to get it out.

Bwahhhhhhhhh helicopter!!!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Originally posted by Mackie
Since you put "legal" in quotes - consider putting petrolleum jelly on their windows. It is a real PITA to get off, but does no real damage.

That, plus a polite note about the nature of their offence should discourage repeat offendors.

Only problem is when your friends notice the huge jar of Vaseline in your car, and wonder what it's for.
Aha.........Mackie has a little evil side in him.........:devil: ........petroleum jelly! Nice!:thumb:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Originally posted by MMcG
Aha.........Mackie has a little evil side in him.........:devil: ........petroleum jelly! Nice!:thumb:
You know people would turn their windshield wipers on and smear it all over too.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I always get a kick out of the poor lazy saps who see someone loading their groceries into their car in a prime spot, so they sit there with their blinker on for 5 minutes to score the spot. I park way out in the lot, walk past them, and I'm in the store buying stuff while they are still sitting there. :confused:

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
You know people would turn their windshield wipers on and smear it all over too.
OR if you just glopped the vasoline all over the wipers. Then the next time they turned them on the windshield is covered...... probably while driving. :devil:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by Echo
I always get a kick out of the poor lazy saps who see someone loading their groceries into their car in a prime spot, so they sit there with their blinker on for 5 minutes to score the spot. I park way out in the lot, walk past them, and I'm in the store buying stuff while they are still sitting there. :confused:
At the grocery store where I shop, the entrance and exit are on opposite sides of the building. Almost everyone fights for a space near the entrance, and the exit area always has spots right near the building. It seems like nobody understands something very simple: when you go in, you're carrying nothing. When you come out, you're carrying heavy groceries. When would you want the shorter trip?

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Originally posted by binary visions
At the grocery store where I shop, the entrance and exit are on opposite sides of the building. Almost everyone fights for a space near the entrance, and the exit area always has spots right near the building. It seems like nobody understands something very simple: when you go in, you're carrying nothing. When you come out, you're carrying heavy groceries. When would you want the shorter trip?
those are the same people that think they can loose weight by ordering a giant DIET coke and taking the elevator....:rolleyes:

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
Where I used to work this lady parked her dumpy ass, smashed up dodge intrepid in the front line of spots at the office, always 6 inches over the line. One Friday I went out to lunch and had a couple of beers and started thinking. I went back to my desk and printed out a Hawkeye orginal poem and put it on her windshield.

"When we are young we try and color in between the lines, when we get older we try and park inside them."

"Thank you for trying to make the world a better place by following this little poem. If you can't tell that you are taking up 2 spots, GET SOME GLASSES!! JACKASS!!"

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Keep this in mind, though next time you see someone parked over the line:

Maybe the complete tool *before* that guy parked over the line next to him, so he was doing his best to stay in between. But later in the day it looks as if he's hogging part of another spot.

Just food for thought........

Although I think most of them are doing it because they're numbnuts. :D

-S.S.-

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
what annoys me is when ONE motorcycle takes up an entire spot. Come on! My friends and I can get three bikes in one spot.

I'm just annoyed cuz there's a guy in the condo parking lot who does that, then I have to take another spot for my bike... which is just stupid.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Originally posted by SkaredShtles
Keep this in mind, though next time you see someone parked over the line:

Maybe the complete tool *before* that guy parked over the line next to him, so he was doing his best to stay in between. But later in the day it looks as if he's hogging part of another spot.

Just food for thought........

Although I think most of them are doing it because they're numbnuts. :D

-S.S.-

true. good call.

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
Originally posted by LordOpie
what annoys me is when ONE motorcycle takes up an entire spot. Come on! My friends and I can get three bikes in one spot.

I'm just annoyed cuz there's a guy in the condo parking lot who does that, then I have to take another spot for my bike... which is just stupid.
Park in the same spot anyway.

J

JRB

Absolutely my biggest complaint. If you can't slowly put your ride in the lines, how the hell do you keep it in the lines at high speeds? That paint should be explosive. Park bad, you die.

J

JRB

Originally posted by Echo
When I am behind them, I sit there and honk and yell out of the window -

"what are you waiting for the friggin car to decompose?"

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
Originally posted by loco-gringo
Absolutely my biggest complaint. If you can't slowly put your ride in the lines, how the hell do you keep it in the lines at high speeds? That paint should be explosive. Park bad, you die.
Meh.. I think it's easier to drive on the freeway than it is too park. You actually don't have to be as careful because people will move out of your way if you screw up ;) But in all seriousness, I think the biggest problem is that it IS hard for certain people to get it right. Some of them take up two because they think they have a Porsche/Ferrari/whatever high end car so they own the world. Others, well this one girl at school is only about 5 feet tall. She drives an Expedition, and each time she manages to back into the spot, and for some reason it's always the one next to me. The question is, if you can't even handle a small car, why do you pick a big one? I think most drivers that can't park were just never taught to park correctly. First time I learned, my dad yelled in my ear SWING WIDE SON, and I've never had another problem :D

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I HATE people who park in Handicapped parking but aren't.
I see handicapped people parked in regular spots all the time, so I dont see what the big deal is if I turn the tables.

HippieKai

Pretty Boy....That's right, BOY!
Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
Originally posted by pnj
whoa! me too.
i just park in the first spot i see open....usualy WAY WAY far away from the door.
I mean CRAP your going to go WALK around a store how is the extra like 30feet going to hurt!:monkey:

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by dh girlie
It's not just suv's and big trucks that park sh ittily...I've seen plenty of tiny cars sh ittlily parked...I myself am a horrible parallel parker...course...I'm just an overall horrible parker, but I always correct myself as not to impose on other parkers space.
well you are a woman:devil:

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
Snow Hall, tweakin on math
I'm gonna make me some of those wheel boots, except mine are gonna be electrically charged so when they go to undo them, it shocks the piss out of them and a little speaker on the inside starts laughing and tells them to not be such a fooking idiot and learn to park

and then it shocks them again

just to drive the point home, since 98% of the population are ignorant no driving/parking assbags :angry:

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
Originally posted by MMcG
Mark, where I'm from parking is a serious issue - you don't f__k with peoples parking. One example - a car on my block was taking up 2 spots - and they left the car there for a week. I noticed someone left a "polite" note on it about being more considerate. The next week the car was in the same 2 spots, only this time 2 tires were slashed, and there was a note that read "You should have read the last note, F__ker".

Semi related - there's an apartment building - 6 or 7 stories - on my corner. Someone parks in front of the building and their car alarm starts going off at about 2 in the morning - goes on all night until the battery dies. It kept everyone up all night. The next morning I'm walking by, and the windshield is all red and smashed - somebody from the apartment building threw a 64 ounce glass "keg o' ketchup" out of their apartment window at the car!

Needless to say, before i got a parking spot, I was a very polite parker.....

So you see that vaseline doesn't make me :devil: :devil: :devil: , it means I'm a pretty nice guy on my block!

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Originally posted by HippieKai
i just park in the first spot i see open....usualy WAY WAY far away from the door.
I mean CRAP your going to go WALK around a store how is the extra like 30feet going to hurt!:monkey:
I like getting the closest spot I can at trailheads and smiling at my friends, who inevitably say, "we're biking/hiking for hours and you drove around to get the closest spot?" :devil:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Originally posted by HippieKai
Fat people wait for a closer parking spot. And that's why they're fat.

-S.S.-