Quantcast

Part or frame anodization

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
Does anyone have any experience with or know of a reputable surface finishing outfit which can do color anodization for frames and or parts such as bolts/linkages? DIY kits cost about $500 and I don't really have the time to try and do this myself either. I have a couple old dh frames kicking around that I thought it would be fun to try and get anodized instead of paint/powdercoat. And if I can't find somebody with a tank big enough to do a frame-- a stripped, polished frame with ano links would still be cool... Does anyone know if maybe Guerrilla Gravity would do one-off jobs of a color they already have a tank for? Do they do their anodizing in-house?

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
There is likely to be a local anodizing shop near where you live if you are close to a city. I have used 3 shops here in Pittsburgh for anodizing of various parts for both work and myself over the years. It's not worth DIY'ing, the chemicals involved are nasty in addition to the startup cost.

Anodizing links or small parts is straightforward. Surface prep is very important. Since anodize is not an additive coating, imperfections in the base metal will show through in the end. I usually go for a brushed finish that you can get with scotchbrite pads. Cleaning in a parts tumbler or blasting with walnut shells also works well. It is possible to polish the parts first for an extra shiny finish, but this is most labor intensive.

Frames can be tricky to anodize. I know some years ago Turner had to scrap a whole batch of frames that got messed up during anodizing. If the frame was not built with anodizing in mind, it likely won't turn out super nice. Weld filler rod is typically a different grade of alloy than the tubes or machined parts, and different materials take the anodized finish and color dye differently so the finish can be inconsistent. However my two Banshee Spitfire frames have been anodized and both finishes were great.

In my experience cost is usually based on a minimum batch size and then upcharges for greater quantities or large items. So if you have 2 small parts or 20 small parts it might cost the same, say $50. A frame would likely be $100 or so.