Quantcast

Pay for Play: the GOP Motto

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
bought and paid for and shamelessly out in the open

Speaker of the House Paul Ryan received nearly $500,000 in contributions from one of the billionaire Koch brothers and his wife 13 days after after the House passed its version of the Republican tax bill, according to a campaign finance report released last week.

The International Business Times and other publications reported Charles and Elizabeth Koch each donated $247,000 to Team Ryan, the joint fundraising committee that raises money for Ryan's campaign committee, the National Republican Congressional Committee and a separate political action committee that Ryan runs called Prosperity Action.

"Republicans never hid the fact that this tax bill was about pleasing their big donors," Adam Smith, communications director at campaign finance reform nonprofit Every Voice, told International Business Times. "And it looks like House Speaker Ryan is quickly being rewarded for passing this legislation that overwhelmingly benefits the Kochs and billionaires like them."

The day after the Koch donations, Ryan transferred close to $1 million from Team Ryan to the NRCC; $488,000 to Prosperity Action; and $219,000 to his campaign. Ryan has been noncommittal about a report that he will leave
Congress after this year.

Three pillars of the tax bill — big tax breaks for businesses and the wealthy, a special deduction for oil and gas investors (Koch Industries' petrochemical-based empire is the second largest privately owned company in the nation), and the repeal of the estate tax — all figure to pay off handsomely for the Kochs.

According to the Tax Policy Center, the top 1 percent wealthiest Americans will received 34 percent of the total benefits of the $1.5 trillion Tax Cuts and Jobs Act.

http://www.sfgate.com/politics/article/Billionaire-Koch-wife-gave-Ryan-500-000-after-12516024.php

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
This seems like its getting close (but not yet there) to a similar time, such as when the French peasentry brought a new type of game to the Kings court. No bread, and the cake is getting pretty thin....

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Senior engineer in our department went on an epic rant yesterday, it started with complaining about senior executives who are so disconnected with the reality of the business they have no means of making good decisions. It ended with him talking about taking up arms and murdering the Koch brothers. Not the kind of talk I would condone, but I certainly didn't discourage him.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Senior engineer in our department went on an epic rant yesterday, it started with complaining about senior executives who are so disconnected with the reality of the business they have no means of making good decisions. It ended with him talking about taking up arms and murdering the Koch brothers. Not the kind of talk I would condone, but I certainly didn't discourage him.

Gofundme link?

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I would like to hear him drunk and coked up.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I would like to hear him drunk and coked up.
Brilliant guy, he just has a problem with not communicating his strong opinions. Has been kicked off several projects for basically telling leadership they were idiots. Has now been hidden away on a low visibility project, probably until he retires. Kind of a shame, he is almost always right, but always an asshole about it.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My boss is always right (so much so that it is exasperating). He doesn't suffer fools gladly, which can be amusing when he is dealing with the public.
I have been accused of that quite a few times.

Not the being right part.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
If he needs ammo, I know a guy...

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pay for play you say? Politics for profit you say?

https://www.buzzfeed.com/tariniparti/trump-allies-are-profiting-from-multiple-trump-groups?utm_term=.ohxX7ON11#.bx7xVaPMM