Quantcast

Paypal Question

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Some guy from Telluride seems pretty serious about buying the ///Motorcycle. Seems pretty legit, wants to come get it himself, no third parties/cashiers check/shippers/deposed royal relatives, etc.... The only thing that weirds me out is he seems pretty insistent on trying to pay me, even partially, via Paypal. I have an old paypal account, but it's not tied to my bank, or even my debit card in anyway, in fact the only card they have on file is an expired AmEx. I've only ever used it to buy, way back in the early days of interweb shopping. Am I overly paranoid in insisting on cash to avoiding financial chicanery or is receiving money via paypal a fairly safe bet?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I'd stay away from PayPal for this unless you sold it through eBay Motors.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Personally, I would still do cash. If he is willing to pick up in person, he has the cash.
Kind of what I was thinking, he'd asked earlier about paypal and I said I preferred cash and he agreed with that. But now he want's to send me a grand to "hold it". I don't know if he's just super stoked on the bike or if its "scammy". I told him I'd just hang on to the bike because I don't need to sell it.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Just got an email from the guy.

"My bank is out of state, and I can only pull $500/day out of ATM's"

I'm vaguely aware that that's a thing, so maybe explains the paypal push?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

If a credit union he can use a shared local credit union and get a cashier's check.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I suppose I wouldn't be entirely skeptical, he probably wants an assurance via PP deposit that you won't sell it out from under him if he's going to make the drive from Telluride. Just draw up a solid Bill of Sale noting that it is sold as-is.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I suppose I wouldn't be entirely skeptical, he probably wants an assurance via PP deposit that you won't sell it out from under him if he's going to make the drive from Telluride. Just draw up a solid Bill of Sale noting that it is sold as-is.
Don't draw up shit until cash is exchanged. If he wants buyers protection, tell him you'll list on ebay motors and add their fee to the px. Cash or you can go to his bank and have them draw a cashier's check.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
:stupid:

Take $50 deposit via PayPa if he wants to feel better about it.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

he can have the amount increased if he tried....i did once upon a time.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

Wells Fargo probably already created an account for him in his state, he should go ask them.

Cash or no deal, I wouldn't do Paypal for a sale like that.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head

In my line of work this is where we scream ALL STOO ALL STOP ALL STOP!!!!!!.....

This is exactly the scam sent to me when I was selling my bike. You can go inside ANY bank, pay your eifgt to didteen dollar transfer fee, and get your money........ If he has some shit hole bank that won't do this..... Tell him to start pulling 500 a day till he has it all then get back to you

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Don't draw up shit until cash is exchanged. If he wants buyers protection, tell him you'll list on ebay motors and add their fee to the px. Cash or you can go to his bank and have them draw a cashier's check.
Well yea, I'm not advocating having a bill of sale signed with just a deposit. When the rest of the money is in hand or in the bank, then exchange a signed bill of sale nothing that it is sold as-is with no warranty or guarantee of condition or operation.

Dude might also want to purchase the bike against a credit card instead of cash. PayPal would certainly be the easiest way to accomplish that.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
In my line of work this is where we scream ALL STOO ALL STOP ALL STOP!!!!!!.....

This is exactly the scam sent to me when I was selling my bike. You can go inside ANY bank, pay your eifgt to didteen dollar transfer fee, and get your money........ If he has some shit hole bank that won't do this..... Tell him to start pulling 500 a day till he has it all then get back to you
Only that he can pull 500 a day himself until he has all the money. He hasn't asked about making payments and I wouldn't take them, he just won't have all the cash until wednesday.

Seems to me like a fella could make arrangements, but whatever. He shows up cash in hand, his banks business practices are none of mine.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Will he want that grand back in cash when he doesn't like the bike?
That's exactly what made it seem odd to me. Some kind of updated Nigerian check cashing scam or some shit?

Dude might also want to purchase the bike against a credit card instead of cash. PayPal would certainly be the easiest way to accomplish that.
I'd thought about this too, but what's the recourse if the buyer claims fraud or something on the CC? Who does paypal go after? Me, the buyer, both? How long until I can get cash out of paypal and into my checking? Then I gotta deal with that shit? No thanks.

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Only that he can pull 500 a day himself until he has all the money. He hasn't asked about making payments and I wouldn't take them, he just won't have all the cash until wednesday.

Seems to me like a fella could make arrangements, but whatever. He shows up cash in hand, his banks business practices are none of mine.
Exactly...... If it's legit..... He will have it all.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Don't do it. Worst case he can get a personal loan, draw cash and then re-fi into a vehicle loan or figure out something else. I would be very wary of someone trying to sent a large amount of money via PayPal. Like others have said, if he wants to send a $100 or whatever as a deposit, that would be fine. I know people that have been personally hosed via this exact thing. If you dig around, one of the worst situations a seller can be in is to take money via PayPal and have the item picked up in person. All he has to do is file a claim and they can jack you.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I am sure he has a way to obtain a certified check from his out of state bank. He can make it out to himself and cash it and give you cash or you can accept the check if you wanted to go that route.