Quantcast

Pedal assist bike-new trend?

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
Soft, girly stalked weeds are fine, it's the gnarly tobacco brush and manzanita I'm trying to kill :D

I've taken out some poison oak vines as thick as my arm with it before....... Worked pretty well there.
Different continent, common names for plants, about zero chance of me commenting.

Back to e-bikes - are we all agreed that Motos are awesome, mountain bikes are awesome, e-bikes are a weird middle ground that has an application for a few people and are mostly stupid?

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
I fill garbage bags with it, then throw that in another garbage bag with butane, then run a fuse to it.

Is that bad?
You put salt and water in a garbage bag, a salt that is only active when it's wet, then blow it up. Sounds brilliant.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I see how you read it that way. Enduro setup and weed control are two different things. I have been involved in the local club and running races for a long time, my work is mostly environmental weed control.

I doubt this is the place to discuss the ways herbicide can be used correctly and how it can be used incorrectly in trail maintenance, but the short version is I have customers who want it. Done correctly I can select out various annual weeds, promote native grass growth and do what a brushcutter would do at less than 1/3 the cost.
Like anything, herbicide use has a bad reputation from poor use, poor chemical choice and a tobacco industry style manipulation of data by some of the big companies.

The point I was trying to make is there are work based applications for these e-bikes, you would choose something else if you could, but land managers are weird.
Told you guys he was spraying weed killa

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Real quick version - Mother Nature doesn't do empty spaces. Roundup is non selective, it takes out what you want to keep as well as what you want to remove. The following season that empty space will grow something (99% of the time), usually that is a fast growing, invasive species. You end up with a bigger problem than you started with. Add that to the fact that it's been the most used chemical for 40 years and we are seeing resistance issues and you can easily create a clusterfrick.
It has its place - but it's over used, and too frequently used poorly.
Cool, good to know. My mom always had us pulling weeds... many many hours spent pulling weeds and perfecting my root-getting technique, because if I didn't get the root, that thing would grow back faster and I'd be puling it a few weeks down the road once more.

If I ever have a large swath of land, I'll just get some goats or sheep ... or just let it go back to its natural state.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I would rally the living shit out of that thing on a DH trail and it would be awesome. Screw these E-pedal bikes, that's where it's at.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
I would rally the living shit out of that thing on a DH trail and it would be awesome. Screw these E-pedal bikes, that's where it's at.
Yeah the ALTA is $15K right now funny thing is there are MTB's that are $10K and that goes a hell of a lot faster. I would own all the climbing KOM's around......