Quantcast

Pedro's MTB Festival 2007 (long report, lots of pics)

clavin

Chimp
Jun 25, 2007
the festival was great.

and there were a ton of trails, from the photos i can see some of you made it to the condos, if you went a little further you would have been in another great section of singletrack, just past the construction site.

a little longer road ride (15/20 minutes) and the riding was great. alot of singletrack with many hills!

i did see a few of the intersections were hidden to prevent unwanted motorized use but that is the point of a ride leader, they can show you the good stuff!

mmcg,

there were carvers, vicious, kona and titus 29ers for the taking.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
the festival was great.

and there were a ton of trails, from the photos i can see some of you made it to the condos, if you went a little further you would have been in another great section of singletrack, just past the construction site.

a little longer road ride (15/20 minutes) and the riding was great. alot of singletrack with many hills!
I wish we would have known that. Maybe that could have been mentioned in the registration packet. :hmm:

My wife and I joined a group night ride and the ride leader and sweeper promptly dropped us.

tozovr

Monkey
Jan 16, 2006
When the guys showed up for the skid contest with 28" slicks, I knew it was time to strap on the Full Face and get ready to go for STYLE POINTS!!

splat

Nam I am
My wife and I joined a group night ride and the ride leader and sweeper promptly dropped us.
Yeah , a map of trail woul;d have been really really help ful

PLus I was on that Night ride , there were 4 leaders one at the fron one at the back and 1 in teh middle . I was with the the front group , and we turned one way and teh guy in the middle turned the other way. , then we got back to where we met IAB and MBC again. and some how we found the guy who was suppose to be sweepeing , and he said he would sweep , well some how we lost him again . Its really good , when your sweeper has no idea where he is going!! this has been my Experieance on all the ride ( past and present , the ride leaders are clue less, and they don't even lead a ride well. )

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Yeah , a map of trail woul;d have been really really help ful

PLus I was on that Night ride , there were 4 leaders one at the fron one at the back and 1 in teh middle . I was with the the front group , and we turned one way and teh guy in the middle turned the other way. , then we got back to where we met IAB and MBC again. and some how we found the guy who was suppose to be sweepeing , and he said he would sweep , well some how we lost him again . Its really good , when your sweeper has no idea where he is going!! this has been my Experieance on all the ride ( past and present , the ride leaders are clue less, and they don't even lead a ride well. )
We were annoyed at the ride leaders, but really had a fun ride on our own. MBC was bummed we had to leave Saturday afternoon because she would have done another night ride.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
It probably was hard for the ride leaders to lead since the trails themselves were newly cut - weren't they?

Still they should offer more trails when you pay that much money to get in to the event.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I agree with you MBC - they shoulda been sure that the ride leaders had a chance to ride those trails more often. but I bet the people leading the rides barely had much time on them themselves.

Seems like this is the third time in three years that the festival has been at a different site. Maybe they should think about relocating it to someplace other than the Berkshire region of Mass altogether.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
{snip}
Despite this horrible ride, we had a great time and look forward to next year. My wife had a such a great time in the clinic and ride with Allison Dunlop. She kept going on and on "Allison Dunlop said this", "Allison Dunlop told me to do this", and "Allison Dunlop is so nice".
Sweet...Alison really is great and we had such a large group of women...it was incredible!!!!!! I was helping out with Alison's ride & clinic. What was your wife riding?

J-Dubs

Monkey
Jul 10, 2006
Salem, MA
Definitely a great time, but the trails left a lot to be desired. They were too new, too few, not strung together well, and across the street was painful. A huge doubletrack climb through the mud got you to some fun & challenging switchbacks, but I ended up cracking my slider dropout torquing around some of those turns.

Splat - thanks for the Tranny pic. Mine's the grey Preston and I like taking cred for makeing the GFY sticker on my friend Greg's(slingblade-shower-guy) Bottlerocket. It's the perfect response for the pink-haters.

tozovr - Next year's no-handed skid will be made with my weight a little further back. My shoulder is still a little sore from the wreck.

Next time we'll have to organize a meeting time and place. I'd like to meet more of you.

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
IAB, glad to hear the good reviews of the Fuji Outland. There will be one in my garage soon. Racing road for Fuji has its advantages:biggrin: . As a company you can't ask for a nicer group of guys:cheers:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
The guys who were there were AWESOME!

They were the first ones to NOT try to get me to take out a short travel xc bike. GIMME THE BIG BOY!! LOL
That was great. "I've got the bike for you! You'll have to work a little harder than the guys, but you'll kick thier butts on the downhills."

:cheers:

Those Fuji guys were great.

J-Dubs

Monkey
Jul 10, 2006
Salem, MA
MTB Fixie!?

I LOVE the color of that bike. ;) :)
Hell yeah. A whole new adventure. It handles great in the woods, but the ride across the street was rough going up. Hike-a-bike styles.

Thanks, I love the color too. Its also got some cool pinstriping.

pinkshirtphotos - it's a 26" x 1.25" specialized fatboy slick for special occasions.

Here's a good pic of the no-hander.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Hell yeah. A whole new adventure. It handles great in the woods, but the ride across the street was rough going up. Hike-a-bike styles.

Thanks, I love the color too. Its also got some cool pinstriping.

pinkshirtphotos - it's a 26" x 1.25" specialized fatboy slick for special occasions.

Here's a good pic of the no-hander.

I've got the big brother to yours - but not crazy fixie-like

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Bad news, no more Pedro Fest

After thirteen years of good friends, good rides and plenty of Berkshire mud, the Pedro's Festival has come to an end.

The Pedro's Festival began in Randolph, Vermont in the fall of 1995 to celebrate the season and enjoy the spirit of the mountain bike.

"There were many good times had but, in the end, there just wasn't enough growth or interest to keep the lights on," said Chris Zigmont, Pedro's general manager and original Pedro's Festival participant. "It's sad after more than a dozen years of watching the cycling industry grow [but] the festival just couldn't keep up. We could only draw about 1600 attendees."

Pedro's marketing manager Jason Elhardt said shutting down the show was only partially due to attendance being down. Some of it also had to do with Pedro's marketing objectives changing.

"We have realized that our bread and butter are the shop guys," Elhardt said. "We were working with the organizers at Pedro's Fest to make it the 'year of the shop guy' but the execution was not what we hoped for."

Pedro's would like to extend its thanks to the family of attendees and sponsors who continued to support the festival for so many years. Although the festival may be gone, look for Pedro's at other events across the country and around the world, spreading the message of sustainability through cycling.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Not really a surprise. $40 for a day pass, crappy campsites, and group rides that have almost zero organization on unmarked trails. (Other than the small loops right at the festival). Two parents with two kids would cost over $100 just to get in. I'll bet they could have seriously increased attendance by offering a more reasonable day-pass. Lots of people can't swing a whole weekend and probably would have gone at a more reasonable price point.

It was a fun event, but the fun mostly came from hanging out with your friends and riding.

$.02

Goddy43

Monkey
Apr 21, 2005
I don't know how much stock to put in this but someone in a local forum posted that its not dead - its just being run by different people.

Edit - Silly me for not checking the lounge first. Thanks Tigg.

Not really a surprise. $40 for a day pass, crappy campsites, and group rides that have almost zero organization on unmarked trails. (Other than the small loops right at the festival). Two parents with two kids would cost over $100 just to get in. I'll bet they could have seriously increased attendance by offering a more reasonable day-pass. Lots of people can't swing a whole weekend and probably would have gone at a more reasonable price point.

It was a fun event, but the fun mostly came from hanging out with your friends and riding.

$.02
I'll bet most of the fee goes to insurance.