Quantcast

...People Need To Mind Their Business

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
:rant on:

this summer i'm going on a trip and before i leave i'm planning on putting in my notice...i told a few people that i thought i could trust...guess not...and anther manager is planning on quiting too around the same time i'm leaving...so i just went into work to pick up my paycheck and i was talking to the other manager and he tells me our boss cornerd him and asked him about me not comming back after my trip and him quitting soon too...apparently he was hearing rumors...he told him that he's quitting in december and luckly played dumb about me....arrg that pisses me off when people dont mind their own ****ing business

:rant off:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
You discussed your business at your place of business, and you are surprised your personal business is now everyone's business?

Lesson learned: keep your personal business to yourself. When you quit, the first time everyone at your job should hear it is when you give notice.

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
That's gossip, man. I know, it sucks. The thing you need to realize, and I'm sure you now do, is that most people lead rather uninteresting lives and they tend to carry their conversations based on others. Eff them.

My climbing partner once told me:
Stupid people talk about other people.
The average person talks about current events.
Intelligent people talk about ideas.

That doesn't necessarily have anything to do with your topic, but it popped in my head and I've always thought it was a great anecdote.

BTW, didja ever get the replacement sticker?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
sanjuro said:
You discussed your business at your place of business, and you are surprised your personal business is now everyone's business?

Lesson learned: keep your personal business to yourself. When you quit, the first time everyone at your job should hear it is when you give notice.
:stupid:

Still sucks, but if you tell someone at work, it gets around.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
macko said:
That's gossip, man. I know, it sucks. The thing you need to realize, and I'm sure you now do, is that most people lead rather uninteresting lives and they tend to carry their conversations based on others. Eff them.

My climbing partner once told me:
Stupid people talk about other people.
The average person talks about current events.
Intelligent people talk about ideas.

That doesn't necessarily have anything to do with your topic, but it popped in my head and I've always thought it was a great anecdote.

BTW, didja ever get the replacement sticker?
I like to discuss my relationships with family and friends. Would my relationships improve if I discussed philosophy and metaphysics instead?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Sorry, macko, I always thought that quote was unbelievably overrated :p

cannondalejunky said:
this summer i'm going on a trip and before i leave i'm planning on putting in my notice...i told a few people that i thought i could trust...
Chalk it up to a life lesson. If you talk at work, everyone is going to know. Got something at work you want nobody to know? Don't tell anyone. It's the way offices work, and it's stupid and unfortunate, but unavoidable.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
cannondalejunky said:
:rant on:

:rant off:
You're young. Consider it a lesson learned. You can't tell anyone anything at work because people don't know how to keep their traps shut. I would never tell anyone I was quitting until I gave my official notice to my boss.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I had several months leading up to when I gave my notice, and the only people I had talked about it with were people who were also close personal friends outside of work... and even then, only those who I knew hated the gossip chain as much as I did.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Next time keep your fvcking mouth shut.

That way you won't have the sandy vagina syndrome on a internet board when your masterplan is revealed to the masses at work.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
hm, i spread the rumor at work that i don't like how i'm being treated and i'm getting a new job.

i get a raise 1 week later. and my own area to work in that others arn't allowed to come into. they can just call me through the phone.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I hated my co-workers in Ct, so I didn't tell them anything naturally that I was moving to Cali.

After I gave notice to my boss, we announced it the next day at the morning meeting.

Before I could get any glee, someone comments how there is supposed to be a major earthquake in Cali that year. My glee was disappeared immediately.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
DHS said:
hm, i spread the rumor at work that i don't like how i'm being treated and i'm getting a new job.

i get a raise 1 week later. and my own area to work in that others arn't allowed to come into. they can just call me through the phone.

steve, they were probably quarantining you so you don't infect your co-workers. :rofl:

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
I hated my last job, my boss knew I was looking but was as powerless as I was to do anything towards getting me to stay, we'd both tried for months to remedy the situation with out dept. head. When I got my current job I told my boss, he didn't tell anyone, then with two weeks to go before I started at this job I gave the dept. head one week notice and took a week long vacation. The dept. head was all :mumble: :redhot: :mumble: , I just :rofl: :nopity: cause he had more than one opportunity to keep me around.

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
sanjuro said:
I like to discuss my relationships with family and friends. Would my relationships improve if I discussed philosophy and metaphysics instead?
You're missing the point. By talking about "other people" I think we're insinuating gossip. As in, if you're talking to your co-workers the easiest conversation you can have is about someone else. The next easiest is talk about what's going on in the news or at the office. The most difficult and perhapse the most interesting conversation you can have is about your ideas.

I'm not saying it applies to everyone at everytime; but I think it's applicable to cdale junky's problem of co-workers talking about him behind his back. But hell, maybe your relationships would improve if you discussed philosophy and metaphysics instead. I dunno how boring you are in person...

uneasy_rider

Chimp
May 12, 2006
I can't stand when people arbitrarily don't mind their own business and like to tell everybody else how they should do things. THAT I can't stand. In this case, I think this says it all and is one of the best quotes I've ever seen

sanjuro said: