Quantcast

Pharrel Williams owns Brooklyn Machine Works?

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Well you are one of the lucky .005 % of us then. My point is still there for the rest of us.
Who made your car then?
Look it may all go to ****,I doubt it and I really don't think it's fair to slander them so you look cool and make it even harder for them,just wait and see. You've said enough now that you can say I told you so if they go belly up.
It is great to meet the guy who designed and made your frame,but to think that because you met them you then can judge their welding(or design) abilities is absurd. Also to pressume it will be a better built bike is also absurd. Yes it's nice to meet the guy who made your bike,especially if he's a rider,also to know your'e helping out the little guy or Boutique manufacturer and not the corprate giant that uses marketing over design to sell and builds design flaws to make there bikes have a shorter life. but at the end of the day,that's just an added bonus and to buy a bike for those reasons alone would be foolish. Design and quality craftsmanship make the bike yes,not being able to say oh a mate made it for me. I buy bikes that I either know or believe i can tell will work well. Reputation for quality also makes me decide but that's an unknown quantity at this point,and to speculate anything else is just speculation,to make it sound like fact is weak.

nervous_john

Chimp
May 31, 2004
Why slander a company to hear my own voice? Because I *cared* about the company and the product. Hell- why slander Bush, Cheney, Iran, the Taliban, greenhouse gases, rotten shellfish and underage drinking. Obviously it is for the express purpose of hearing my own voice or reading my own deluded self involved rantings. You have to stand for something my friend. I chose to stand for things made by people who care about what they do. I choose to discriminate where I spend my money. I've had absolutely enough of manufactured popstars, scripted reality TV, walmart, and politicians saying one thing for votes and doing the other. Brooklyn has decided to walk down this path. I can tell you that specialized, Iron horse, Nicolai or any other manufacturer on the face of the earth does not have downhill bike designers/engineers that don't ride downhill bikes. I'm sure that without anyone to do R&D on new designs everything is going to be absolutely awesome. We'll just weld this to this, put a bolt here, a few bearings... it looks great it's got to ride great right? How should we know since neither of us ride downhill bikes? Whatever- abathingape sticker will sell anything. At least Pharrell can whip up some fancy BMW t shirts for the Mtv awards. How about some rhinestones?
The sale of BMW was a branding decision. They want to walk down the path that Supreme skateshop has- sell a lot of t shirts, some fancy cruisers and track bikes. The racelink was their main source of income so they need people to continue to buy them. They do not care about downhill or aggressive mountain biking. They think that we sucker mountain bikers will buy anything with the Brooklyn Machine Works brand stamped to it and unfortunately it appears to be true. DHS, jonKranked thanks for the voices of reason. Skidmarks- I'll grant you a bit of leeway since your overseas rather than on the east coast but come on man. If I start proclaiming myself as Skidmarks on these forums instead of nervous_john do you think anyone is going to believe that nothing has changed? Do you think the browsers of these forums will be like "whatever. Same screen name different person so what". Why should it be any different for a company? I respect your loyalty to the racelink- it's a fantastic product made by a very clever man who cares about what he does. Be loyal to that- not to a name and a company that thinks you're a brand whore like everyone else on earth.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Yeah I am in Australia and can't see what you guys see. I just thought it was fair to give them half a chance. Pharrel rides and I'm sure he will have(or buy/sponser)mates that ride. I just don't think it's set in stone that it'll be a flop or that anyone should state that,and that's my main point. it quite possibly will just turn into a cool brand store,and yes I did buy a Brooklyn for most of the reasons you guys mentioned. i also have a Lahar for the same reasons we both stated.
We'll see.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
Actually, yes I do know who welded my frame, who designed it, who owns the company. I was actually there when they painted it. They're all my friends. Its the Draco Industries Vigilante (still technically in prototype stages). Here it is:

http://derpbrap.com/bike/DSC00201.JPG
Damn that's a big file! Hot bike though.

Sucks about Brooklyn, Pharrel might not ruin it, but it's not rider owned anymore. That says a lot about a company.

Jon stumbled on to a good point, there is always another little guy who could use your support and build you a kickass frame. Dobermann, Draco, Purgatory... I'm sure everyone on here can name five without thinking too hard. It's not the end of the world, just the end of an era.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
ok noskidmarks, now YOU'RE just making assumptions. go back and re-read my posts. at no point did i make judgements about anyone's welding abilities. and you said so yourself, "I think its one of the best designed bikes ever." I absolutely agree with that. But its because it was designed by Chris.
As far as me "speculating", every single thing I've said here IS factual information. Its all come directly from Chris or BMW riders very close to him (of which I know a few). I am not, repeat NOT speculating. I'm just trying to prevent a bunch of bullsh*t rumors from being spread regarding the current BMW/Pharrell situation. Actually, I know a lot more than I've stated, and its going to stay that way at the request (and respect for) those more directly involved than I with this situation. There may come a time when this information will be known, but that's not my decision nor will I be the one to tell it.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
I've got it built up to be tested by a couple of Aussie magazines. I've just had a knee reconstruction though so I can't ride for six months so had to get my girl to take the maiden voyage,and this Lahar will(has) be sold in a week or two,and I have another on order.I'll try put more pics up when I figure out how to resize them.

Attachments

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Soooo coool! I would love to see some more pics/info and pick your brain about it (in an appropriate thread..sorry).

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Sucks about Brooklyn, Pharrel might not ruin it, but it's not rider owned anymore. That says a lot about a company.
What is there to NOT understand? Pharrel rides! Doesn't mean he'll be great for BMW but it also doesn't mean they're being bought out for monetary reasons either.

leDude

Chimp
Sep 2, 2004
What is there to NOT understand? Pharrel rides! Doesn't mean he'll be great for BMW but it also doesn't mean they're being bought out for monetary reasons either.
How the heck do you guys know that Pharell rides? I'l believe it when I see it!

spookydave

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Orange County, CA
The ringing at the other end of the phone will answer any questions you may currently have.
I just called there. The phone rang 4 times before Joe picked it up.
We talked for a bit about the part I need (rear hanger for a RL) and some other stuff. I even brought up that I hear some changes are taking place. He said yes there is and sounded kinda excited about some new things in the works. How it will all play out? I guess we will just have to kick back and watch.

RogerH

Monkey
Jan 22, 2004
Sweden
There is a little bit of bmx in the video for The Provider,
"I'm a rider, girl! gotta face the streets tonight..."

Good song. I really like the "In search of" live album.

I'm also curious what video stars the minilinks... :clue:

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
i like Pharrell's music. he's a rather good producer, in my opinion. "Neptune Present...The Clones" is one of my more listened to albums of late.
Pharrell's part of the Neptunes? They are sick producers, the Kelis productions have allways been something exeptional!

dickiesbike1

Monkey
Jun 17, 2002
NC
It is true that Pharrell owns a major part of Brooklyn Machine Works. My father owns a share as well and is consintently up there at 16 powers street helping out with business things and what not. Having Pharrell as an owner will not take away from any aspect of the company that has made them what they are. If anything you can expect big improvements and be seeing a lot more of Brooklyn in the near future. If anybody has any questions feel free to email me at dcm2286@uncw.edu

FYI the new site with an online shop will be up soon!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
seriously. you guys that are adamantly clinging to the notion that BMW is going to be changing for the better are probably the same people that think that Guns 'n Roses will get better without Slash.

nervous_john

Chimp
May 31, 2004
I'm kind of liking that quite a few very dedicated Brooklyn owners and former owners as well, have posted in this forum voicing their dissatisfication with the companies current "change of direction" and made it abundantly clear that they would have serious reservations doing business with the company again in its current state and everyone wants to argue that all is well. That's logical. I would wager that between all the "slanderers" we could probably count up ten or more Brooklyns- and that's just the owners posting in the thread. That's quite a few sales not going back to the company. Must be some absolutely revolutionary off road bicycles coming out if they have no need for repeat business.... I changed my mind- Pharrell in and Doc out is SUPER! The guy who designed, assembled, and tested the bikes is out? No problem. The guy who dealt with customer issues nine times out of ten is awol? What's the issue I say. Having no one participating in the company that rides downhill or is engaged in mountain biking in general is going to make for some cool and exciting improvements. My anticipation is high. High I tell you! Maybe they intend to revolutionize ground transportation. Maybe through the use of "computer technology" and "gyroscopic stabilization" they will devise a device so clever, so without precedent that it will define categorization. Wait, wait. Scratch that. I was thinking of those Segway scooters I see everyone riding around town on.

And jonKranked- slash's guitar added nothing to the band. They should just have Axle play guitar as well. He doesn't know how to play? No problem- no one will ever know the difference. F'in good riddance. I thought I would also add while on the subject of replacement "for the better" that I enjoy my favorite Cola products, desserts, coffee and tea with the refreshing, aftertaste free, zero calorie substitute NutraSweet. It's just as good as sugar and is an apt replacement for the thing which made all of my favorite dietary confections great in the first place. lets hear it for aspartame! Lets hear it for progress!

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
nervous_john could you hit the return key a few more times. then some of us might just get around to reading your posts. not to sound mean.

sure park frames are still made in the US, kinesis has US manufacturing plants there. so? i always thought it was a lot cooler with them being made by hand in brooklyn. to follow up the name itself...

Daman

Chimp
Nov 27, 2001
Mann...im sending a business offer to Britney Spears ASAP ! :bonk:

***no offence its was just to easy to make a quick joke from this Very interesting tread :biggrin: ***

Norman

Chimp
Mar 28, 2005
Hi everyone, one the subject of there not being many BMWs around for sale, my minilink is for sale on ebay at the moment, mint condition take a look, item 320049753999.
It ends in 3 days so check it out soon.

And before anyone asks, yes it pains me to sell it, but i am going away and it's a sacrifice i've had to make.

Cheers