Quantcast

Phat bike?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
The "ride" lasted all of 1km before I said fuck that and aborted back to the car.

:rofl:

Went for a hike a drank beer instead.

The "ride" lasted all of 1km before I said fuck that and aborted back to the car.

:rofl:

Went for a hike a drank beer instead.
I "rode" I dunno how long, met a few people and dogs, did a little trail work and a little scoping of some possible new stuff. Got going downhill pretty good followed by a front wheel washout and headplant, with bars winding up at 45 degrees to the front wheel. Readjusted and continued. I don't know, twelve miles, maybe?
2017-12-16-144907-fer-web.jpg

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Side benefit; fat bikes are great for family gatherings. Everyone assumes they'll make the snow easy to ride through.

Here's one of my brothers moments before eating shit...:rofl:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Yesterday wife and I had first tracks, trying to maintain a straight line with 4" of powder on top of whatever old snow was left while doing a 1700ft downhill was great fun. Thankfully hikers had been up the other trail that we had to pedal back to the top on.

Today the trail was well packed in and great speeds with moments of sideways action were attained :D

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I have two things that I need input on;

1. How do you keep your asshole warm? Seriously. The one thing that always gets cold is my ass, while sitting on the seat. Am I doing it wrong? Do I need some sort of seat cover?
  2. Anyone have input on how to keep my beer from freezing? Do not want to carry a bag..

1. How do you keep your asshole warm? Seriously. The one thing that always gets cold is my ass, while sitting on the seat. Am I doing it wrong? Do I need some sort of seat cover?
  2. Anyone have input on how to keep my beer from freezing? Do not want to carry a bag..

When it gets really cold I have a pair of boarding pants that Hilarie got in a thrift store, which seem to suffice. Beer goes in your pocket.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

1. Usually never have that problem, but private bits do get damn cold in wind when below the teens (like today). I ride with a base layer of 8-panel roadie shorts and then my XC ski pants and that works like a charm. It was between +10 and zero or so just now on my ride. I actually ride with undies when fat riding in the winter, rather than going without like you are supposed to in the summer, again, warmth factor. Ideal would be wind-blocker underwear, then I'd be able to forgo the 8-panels much of the time.

2. ? It's cold outside.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I had my usual wind/water blocker outer shell pants on, long pajama pants, boxers and thermal long johns under that. Still my asshole froze. When we stop for breaks, I can see ice/moisture on my seat. Do I just sweat too much (always been a problem, fuck)?

Yeah its definitely cold outside. I guess I should just SIUP and drink the beer before going out? If only @jdcamb had his taco/coffee truck going, all would be good. :D

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
i have windblocker fleece underwear for xc skiing. when it's really cold, I'll wear thick fleece pants, and a hardshell pant. when it's moderately cold, its the fleece pants and softshell pants, and above that it's micro-fleece bib-tights and softshell pants.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I had my usual wind/water blocker outer shell pants on, long pajama pants, boxers and thermal long johns under that. Still my asshole froze. When we stop for breaks, I can see ice/moisture on my seat. Do I just sweat too much (always been a problem, fuck)?

Yeah its definitely cold outside. I guess I should just SIUP and drink the beer before going out? If only @jdcamb had his taco/coffee truck going, all would be good. :D
I wouldn't open a taco or coffee shop in Toronto. I would open a Sandwich shop. Not a sub shop but a sandwich shop. It is shameful what gets called a sandwich in Toronto. Chicken Parm or a Steak sandwich is almost impossible to get. No ketchup would ever be served....

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Holy f***, is it like -60°?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Normal bib shorts
Pearl Izumi AmFib tights
Baggies
Under Armour Coldgear Mock baselayer
Long sleeve jersey
Windproof jacket
UA balaclava
couple of different thickness gloves changed as required to suit temperature inside cheap $10 ATV pogies

Good in the single freedom units this week, longest ride was 3 hours. Haven't been able to get out for longer due to house guests.

But the best thing I got recently was winter boots to go with the composite oneup pedals I put on the new fatbike, I normally clip in except my DH bike, but my Lake 303's aren't enough below mid-20's. So I got these:
http://www.merrell.com/CA/en_CA/thermo-vortex-8-inch-waterproof/29516M.html

I'll use them with my snow shoes instead of my normal hiking boots too.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Normal 30 to 10°F riding:

Underwear
Craft XC ski pants
OR snow gaiters

If it's really cold (like less than 10 to around to around -10):

Underwear
8-panel roadie shorts
Craft XC ski pants
OR snow gaiters

And if it's really really cold (less than -10):

Underwear
Craft XC ski pants
Nylon running pants (mesh inside)
OR snow gaiters

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Under Armour long underwear. I buy them at Sears. The craftsman version are very well built and work well for everyday use. I have not found them on my latest visit before Christmas.
Normal spring/fall weight windproof Endura Riding pants. I have 2 pairs. Very expensive and not worth the $$. But I got them for free as a gift. One pair fell apart. The other pair is going strong. Works well however.
Normal riding shorts.
If it snows I wear OR gaiters. They really seal off my shoes and If I dab in the deep stuff I can clip back in.
LLBean cheapo gortex socks
Lake winter shoes. 20 years old bought at Nashbar in Newton Ma when it was still open.