Quantcast

Photo critique site?

Muerto

Chimp
Oct 30, 2009
Sweden
I hope this is in accordance with the forum rules...

Anyhow, I'm trying to up my game a bit photography wise, however most photo critique sites I've looked into seem to suffer from the "oh my god what a cute kitten"-syndrome. Hence my question: Does anyone know of a decent forum, or website, dedicated to photo criticism? Preferably with people knowing sports photography and not just aforementioned cute kittens.

I'm not into comparing MTF charts and that stuff, I just want some solid input on the pics I'm producing (and of course give critique back when I can).

I don't want to over burden my photography savvy professional or semi professional friends with questions all the time, allthough so far they've been helpful...

Thanks

Muerto

Chimp
Oct 30, 2009
Sweden
I do shoot Canon so I prefer Canon fanboys over the Nikon equivalents... :D

I'll go have a look at POTN now. Any other site I should check out?

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Join up with Action Sports Cartel.

I've found that most sites are 'pat-on-the-back-oh-my-god-thats-awesome' type critiques which is not what I want. ASCartel will tell you exactly why your photo will not be published and what you could do to improve it next time.

And POTN seems to be good as well. You'll get a hundred replies in a matter of hours and a few of them will be worth reading.

Muerto

Chimp
Oct 30, 2009
Sweden
Damo: Ah, looks like a good site. Not much activity though? But, rather quality than quantity I guess...

Might just pay the 5 bucks and join.

Posted two pics on POTN and then looked around a bit more, damn, it seems to suffer from the uninspired macro shot and garden shot disease just as much as any other site...

I have nothing against macros, but after looking through loads of macros of camera gear I gave up...

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Action Sports Cartel is pretty quiet, but is still a good source of information. The old site (Wheels & Wax) was hugely popular, but was shut down due to retarded kids posting **** and ruining the site. ASCartel has been up and running about a year now, but unfortunately a lot of the big name photographers have left after the W&W fiasco.

Post something up on ASCartel that you honestly think is magazine worthy. You'll get replies (honest ones at that) in a few days.

Muerto

Chimp
Oct 30, 2009
Sweden
Oh ****, I messed up, got som pats on the back on Swedish sites, "good job", very minor things, etc. Posted on ASCartel confident about the pic, holy crap... I was cut down quick.

Great critique though. I guess I'll take what I learned, take some pics over the coming months and then post up again if I get something worthy of it...

Damn I hate Swedes right now (not really). They're cowards when it comes to criticism leading me to make mistakes like this... Oh well. Lesson learned.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Yep, I see you got some good crits on there Marten (?).

I just posted a pic there for the first time in ages. Good info comes from the guys there.

Take your time and critique other's work. Make some links to your sites and perhaps use your full name. In the old W&W site it was mandatory to use full name (perhaps it kept people honest) and this new version is similar. We need more members who know what they are doing and we certainly need more traffic through there.