Quantcast

photography

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
I have never "post processed" my pictures before. I just throw them on photoshop put on a watermark layer and upload. I have read some stuff online about doing the post processed and this is what I have to show. What do you guys think about it?

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
PSP, I'm no professional but I think these do look better than some of your previous photos. It seems to me that you're listening to some of the advice that's been given to you regarding the composition and technique of your shots. I can't tell how much post processing you did but I think you're getting the hang of it. Keep it up. :thumb:

r464

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Earth
Spend a few $$$ and pick up the latest version of "Photoshop for Photographers". It focuses on post processing (as opposed to graphic design, etc.) and is a great place to start.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
are you shooting RAW or JPG? if the latter, the camera is doing the PP for you.

i tend to use PP for tonal adjustments in contrast and exposure, and of course white balance. i don't find my self doing localized adjustment in layers using photoshop much...if i can get away w/ doing all the adjustments i need to in ACR, it's easier and saves time.

the 2nd and 3rd pictures look like you've done a good job w/ contrast adjustments.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
well if all you were doing was converting RAW to JPG w/o making any changes in a RAW editing program, why the hell were you shooting RAW in the first place?

PP also serves a function to put yr personal style stamp on the photos.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
As far as PP goes, one of the best things you can do is get yourself a monitor calibration system. Then you will really know what you are looking at. I would suggest staying away from the Pantone Huey Pro, as they have had SERIOUS quality control issues as of late.

Also, check out photography-on-the.net. Its mostly a Canon forum as far as equipment questions go, but they have a lot of forums for posting pictures and getting feedback from professionals and ametures alike. I highly recommend it!

Good luck, and keep shooting!

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
The first one has too much sky, but I'm really liking the second one.

Do you have Capture NX by any chance? It's got some really neat stuff for messing around with landscapes...

erastusboy

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
I dig the thorn photo. I'm all about depth of field. One thing though is please change your typeface on your watermark. Its pretty distracting, maybe reduce the opacity on that layer.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Its mostly a Canon forum as far as equipment questions go, but they have a lot of forums for posting pictures and getting feedback from ametures. I highly recommend it!

Good luck, and keep shooting!
Fixed. There are a few gems of info on POTN, but for the most part it's like asking for tips on MTBing on Pinkbike. I wouldn't go there looking for advice.

Personally I think you should start with a program like Lightroom/Aperture when you're first learning PP...PS is useful, but is a very raw tool that can take quite a bit of time to use for post (not to mention learning to use it). I typically run things through LR, and then if I intend to use them on the web, batch resize/border/watermark in PS (unless there's something really specific I want to do that I only can in PS).

I molested teh sky a little. Your watermark is awful. Make it a neutral color, decent typeface, with maybe half opacity. Right now it's like a giant zit on all of your images.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Fixed. There are a few gems of info on POTN, but for the most part it's like asking for tips on MTBing on Pinkbike. I wouldn't go there looking for advice.

Yeah, Jason Cole is definitely an amerture. :brow: There are a lot of novices on there, but it is NOTHING like StinkBike!