Quantcast

)))Phuckitall Friday GMT(((

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
So my brother in law called me. The paramedics had just left the house with my dad code 3. Thick mucous in the lungs with difficulty breathing. My sister rode with him. At the hospital they gave him multiple breathing treatments and steroids. Could be pneumonia which can easily kill a 95 year old. He is now stable and being monitored while they wait for the lab results. I hate being 400 miles away right now.

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
So my brother in law called me. The paramedics had just left the house with my dad code 3. Thick mucous in the lungs with difficulty breathing. My sister rode with him. At the hospital they gave him multiple breathing treatments and steroids. Could be pneumonia which can easily kill a 95 year old. He is now stable and being monitored while they wait for the lab results. I hate being 400 miles away right now.
:(

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
hey mr clean....it is fuck it friday...go hang with pops...

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Best of luck to your dad, Eric. I lost my 92yo grandfather to pneumonia a few years ago.

FTS is maxed out today. I hate working for straight face lying cowards and there is no winning in my current situation.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Quit and move to the mountains!
Best wishes for your dad, Eric...
What is the least reasonable amount of savings needed to retire to the mountains and live a frugal life, regardless of current life style (that we get coerced into and that can kiss my ass)? I am actually considering quitting the rat race in this rat race country, fixing up my old house, selling it for profit and then moving somewhere nice back in Yurp.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Plane ticket.... There are more important things in life..... Like seeing your pops. Prayers going to ya and your pops

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
What is the least reasonable amount of savings needed to retire to the mountains and live a frugal life, regardless of current life style (that we get coerced into and that can kiss my ass)? I am actually considering quitting the rat race in this rat race country, fixing up my old house, selling it for profit and then moving somewhere nice back in Yurp.
25x expenses after debts retired

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
25x expenses after debts retired
Say you 25x annual expenses?

I am currently on track for annual retirement income a about 5% higher than my current salary. Who the hell knows what that will mean with inflation and what health care costs will be. If my mortgage was paid off I could easily get by today with a third of my current take home pay, assuming I was still on my current health plan.

Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Instead of unrealistic super early retirement, by not just acquire the frugal life in the mountains?
I know as many people who work remotely as do not these days. Create the life you want to live. :thumb:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
today was the last day of my holidays. it was also the first day I didn't have any symptoms of my cold/flu. I went for a cross country ski. 2.5 hours and I didn't see another soul. I don't think it had anything to do with the fact it's -8°F out, and really windy (-34°F windchill). made it out with all my limbs and appendages, though my phone battery froze a few minutes after snapping this photo...:
20180105_151252_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Well that was good. Just talked to my dad on the phone. The steroids seem to have done the trick. He is still coughing up crap but he is breathing ok. They are going to keep him in the hospital for a day so that he can be monitored and given more treatments. He is going to be fine. Both he and my sister said not to come down.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Say you 25x annual expenses?

I am currently on track for annual retirement income a about 5% higher than my current salary. Who the hell knows what that will mean with inflation and what health care costs will be. If my mortgage was paid off I could easily get by today with a third of my current take home pay, assuming I was still on my current health plan.
Yup, 25x annual via Trinity Study.

I’d like to be able to retire about age 55 with roughly 1/3rd current pay. With the way tax systems work it’ll feel like much more, not to mention without the huge debt service.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!

I’d like to be able to retire about age 55 with roughly 1/3rd current pay. With the way tax systems work it’ll feel like much more, not to mention without the huge debt service.
If I go back to my old country or some of the EU laggards like Spain or Portugal, the cost of living is *significantly* lower than here. Plus, free health care and no real estate taxes. :think:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

With an average 2% annual inflation that is exactly what I am on track for. However I can probably expect more than a 2% raise each year and most of that increase will go into saving so I should end up ahead of the game.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
If I go back to my old country or some of the EU laggards like Spain or Portugal, the cost of living is *significantly* lower than here. Plus, free health care and no real estate taxes. :think:
Cool. It's settled.
StiHacka settles in ... oh, Andorra-ish ... and paves the way for us dirty 'Murricans to emigrate with our dirty 'Murrican dollars.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Cool. It's settled.
StiHacka settles in ... oh, Andorra-ish ... and paves the way for us dirty 'Murricans to emigrate with our dirty 'Murrican dollars.

Doesn't StiHacka have a sister on RM? He could set up sham marriages for the rest of us to acquire appropriate citizenship.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Instead of unrealistic super early retirement, by not just acquire the frugal life in the mountains?
I know as many people who work remotely as do not these days. Create the life you want to live. :thumb:
vanlife?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
That was potentially my plan, then fucking brexit....