Quantcast

pic of my girl pinning a road gap.

Megan Black

I rocked whistler in a mini skirt and f$@* me boot
Jul 28, 2004
Beaver-town, OR
grizgal said:
I just got these pics taken by Sterling Lorence from my trip to Whistler this August. Wow, that place is fun. :D
AWESOME ridin' grizgal!

where is that bridge (teeter?) in the first pic? and is that the A-line rock drop in the last one? that's a knarly drop, ahhhh...the pain of my sprained ankle/broke thumb/split lip after washing out in the berm after my first attemp on that beast is all coming back to me!

grizgal

Chimp
Dec 5, 2003
somerville
Megan Black said:
AWESOME ridin' grizgal!

where is that bridge (teeter?) in the first pic? and is that the A-line rock drop in the last one? that's a knarly drop, ahhhh...the pain of my sprained ankle/broke thumb/split lip after washing out in the berm after my first attemp on that beast is all coming back to me!

Thanks! (although the pics are nothing compared to riding in high boots and a skirt :)) Yeah, I think that's on the bottom of A-Line. There's a berm right after where 2 parts of the trail meet. The teeter is from A River Runs Through It. We were out there for 2 days - 1.5 days of riding the park and half day at the RRTI trail. I could have spent months there. I fell in love with "freeriding." Definitely need to head back next year. Your crash sounds gnarly. Hope you've recovered.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
grizgal said:
Thanks! (although the pics are nothing compared to riding in high boots and a skirt :)) Yeah, I think that's on the bottom of A-Line. There's a berm right after where 2 parts of the trail meet. The teeter is from A River Runs Through It. We were out there for 2 days - 1.5 days of riding the park and half day at the RRTI trail. I could have spent months there. I fell in love with "freeriding." Definitely need to head back next year. Your crash sounds gnarly. Hope you've recovered.

Awesome pics!!! Let me know if you head back to Whistler next year and maybe a group of us gals can get together and ride :D

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Man, I had a huge response written to this thread, but that part of it has sort of died. Let it suffice for me to say this "what happened to modesty?" I have my response saved if you want to read it :)

goodtobeIrie

Monkey
Aug 25, 2004
nor cal
erikkellison said:
Man, I had a huge response written to this thread, but that part of it has sort of died. Let it suffice for me to say this "what happened to modesty?" I have my response saved if you want to read it :)
Let's hear it... :)

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
This thread is reminding me of the Marzocchi models. If they aren’t a shameless attempt to get buyers through selling sex in their ads that have nothing to do with product quality or rider endorsement, then I don’t know what is. It really makes me sad that girls feel that they do have to show off their bodies to get attention. And it also disturbs me that guys encourage it. For me personally, showing more skin is a turn off – it’s like screaming “look at me, my best quality is my body, I want everyone to want it.” Why girls, why?? Is the concept of self-respect really so lost that it’s perfectly normal and even admirable to show most of your skin in public? What happened to modesty? Put your RIDING GEAR back on and GO RIDE.
PS
The reason the girls show themselves more than guys is because guys are more responsive to visual stimulation, hence, companies advertise what will get their buyers’ attention. Remember that issue of Flow Mag. a while back? That was disgusting and shameless… the Marz. girls fit right in on the pages of that ish…
PPS
I thought mini-skirts were phased out with the early 90’s?

Megan Black

Jul 28, 2004
Beaver-town, OR
erikkellison said:
This thread is reminding me of the Marzocchi models. If they aren’t a shameless attempt to get buyers through selling sex in their ads that have nothing to do with product quality or rider endorsement, then I don’t know what is. It really makes me sad that girls feel that they do have to show off their bodies to get attention. And it also disturbs me that guys encourage it. For me personally, showing more skin is a turn off – it’s like screaming “look at me, my best quality is my body, I want everyone to want it.” Why girls, why?? Is the concept of self-respect really so lost that it’s perfectly normal and even admirable to show most of your skin in public? What happened to modesty? Put your RIDING GEAR back on and GO RIDE.
PS
The reason the girls show themselves more than guys is because guys are more responsive to visual stimulation, hence, companies advertise what will get their buyers’ attention. Remember that issue of Flow Mag. a while back? That was disgusting and shameless… the Marz. girls fit right in on the pages of that ish…
PPS
bwahahahah!!! it's great to hear a man tout off about a subject/person he knows nothing about.

hmm...shall we all just start covering our faces in public as well?? you are as sexist as they come...

that is all i have to say about your opinions other than when i run into you on the trails sometime here, i'm gonna strip down to my bra and panties and do a little dance just for you!

zachdank

Chimp
Jan 22, 2004
NORCALhellathrowdown
erikkellison said:
PPS
Nope they're still popular...you didn't notice every single girl wearing flirty skirts this summer...it's PLEATHER that was phased out...more like kicked out.... :blah:

I keep doing this...this was goodtobeirie...can't log onto my account without changing the music...and that ain't happening... :nope:

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
erikkellison said:
PS
PPS
I don't think it's really a good idea to lump all WOMAN in one group.

Maybe Megan rode Whistler in boots and a mini because she can. :cool:

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Megan Black said:
bwahahahah!!! it's great to hear a man tout off about a subject/person he knows nothing about.
hmm...shall we all just start covering our faces in public as well?? you are as sexist as they come...
that is all i have to say about your opinions other than when i run into you on the trails sometime here, i'm gonna strip down to my bra and panties and do a little dance just for you!
Okay, I'm all for rational discussion, but when you start making assumptions and assertions that are either questionable or downright false, that's when I have to say something. What makes you think I know nothing about the subject at hand? I thought my post indicated a thorough understanding of the situation, even if our opinions disagree on it. I think women should respect themselves more than they do if they dress in clothes made to advertise their bodies in a sexual way. You don't think that women should respect themselves in that way. That just means that we disagree, not that I know nothing about the subjet at hand.
Now, last time I checked, sexist meant believing in or promoting inequality between the sexes. Never once did I say it was okay for men to do the same as women, such as dress in such a way that the appreciation they get is primarily for how they look unclothed/less clothed. Just because I appreciate modesty doesn't mean I'm sexist. That certainly doesn't follow. And for the record, if you want to attempt to disassemble and discredit my opinions, feel free to, but be forewarned. I am very rational, and what you've said about my opinions so far is simply illogical.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Snacks said:
I don't think it's really a good idea to lump all WOMAN in one group.
Maybe Megan rode Whistler in boots and a mini because she can. :cool:
Now, I am sorry you thought I was referring to all women at once. I am only talking about those women who've lost modesty and think that public-half-nudity (especially in a sport such as mountain biking where it's simply impractical) is actually making people respect them more. I'm sorry that you thought I was criticizing all women by stating that every one has lost modesty, but clearly that is neither my opinion or the case. Thanks for the clarification.

Megan Black

Jul 28, 2004
Beaver-town, OR
erikkellison said:
but when you start making assumptions and assertions that are either questionable or downright false, that's when I have to say something
funny, that's what i thought of your little statement about how women who dress that way are not respecting themselves.

so good, now we're even. let's leave it alone

this issue of sexism could go on forever. believe me, i am so very tempted to disassemble and discredit your opinions here, i've got much more to say to you about this, but i don't think the other audience of this forum would appreciate it and honestly, i don't like you well enough to give you my mind.

besides, i'm not the kind of person to go flaming people just because i don't agree with what they do or think. you attacked me personally and i defended myself, i don't see a need to drag it into a battle. if you don't like what you see/hear here, go somewheres else to get into a debate about it. try the political forum.....

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
First of all, I never attacked you personally. If you choose to fall into my category of "someone who doesn't respect themself through how they dress," then that's your choice, but I wouldn't know anything about it (at least that's what I'm guessing you're referring to). You on the other hand have directly attacked me: "I don't like you well enough to give you my mind."
Now, I'd appreciate at least a PM of you attempting to disassemble and discredit my opinions, but I don't think you will because really, your argument has little substance (or what I'm assuming your argument will be). Only recently have some women thought that dressing in such ways is somehow respectful. Ever chance the thought that it might be an incorrect and unsupported thought? Or have women throughout history held a distorted feminine ideal, and only now we're getting it right with nudes and half nudes in bike magazine ads? Give me a break, you're better than that.
And for the record, the coolest thing about a girl on a bike is that she's on a bike. If I saw one dressed in something other than riding clothes, I would just laugh to myself and ride on (because you know she's trying for something, and I for one am not going to give it to her because it's not really what she needs).

Brad23

Monkey
Jan 9, 2004
West Oakland
I have a new hero, her name is Megan Black!!!
I hate to say it, but you gots some balls girl....ripping that **** without pads, mini and boots. Don't ever do that around me (especially with a a plaid school skirt) I wouldn't be able to ride much;)
BTW I'd refer to those boot as Nancy's (Sinatra), F*ck me's were small white cowgirl boots in my High School, but that was a long time ago.

About the judgements, ya'll need to hold the mirror up and take a good look at why you feel the need to judge other's, it's usually something about yer self that is pissin you off. Trust me I know from personal experience;)
It's pretty summed up in my sig.

I'm lovn this thread except for the hatin, but it so easy just to scroll past the bullsh#t.

Cheers ya'll, I better ride a whole lot more so I can keep up if I meet any of you rippin ladies.

-Brad

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Brad,
If you're referring to me, I wouldn't call what I'm writing "hating." I'm simply encouraging some women to have more self-respect (and guys to admire the women who do have more self respect).
I love this thread to, that's why I'm contributing to it. I love to see more girls getting out to ride.

And brad, regarding your sig, I completely disagree. I'm actually laughing to myself when I think that someone actually might subscribe to such nonsense. Now that's borderline hating, I know, but come on, the only reason anyone would have to believe that is because they had ulterior motives. Besides, if nothing is true, then that statement surely isn't.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
erikkellison said:
PPS

uh no. the reason there are half naked girls all over magazine ads for bike parts is because women are sexualized in a media that is run by men. it has nothing to do with some made up biological condition that men respond more to visual stimuli. it is a totally cultural thing. if you don't like it i suggest you don't support the products. how about you write to the companies and complain about your distaste of the way they protray women in there advertisments. your distaste is in the wrong place.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
erikkellison said:
Only recently have some women thought that dressing in such ways is somehow respectful. Ever chance the thought that it might be an incorrect and unsupported thought? Or have women throughout history held a distorted feminine ideal, and only now we're getting it right with nudes and half nudes in bike magazine ads? Give me a break, you're better than that.
And for the record, the coolest thing about a girl on a bike is that she's on a bike. If I saw one dressed in something other than riding clothes, I would just laugh to myself and ride on (because you know she's trying for something, and I for one am not going to give it to her because it's not really what she needs).

don't be so patronizing, its rather disrespectful.
this may seem like a strange or new concept to you but SELF-respect is a inividual value judgement. for you to impose your values of what you think is self-respecting onto another individual is sexist at worst and belittling at best.

it is none of your business how anyone else shows respect towards him/herself. and it is certainly not your place to tell a woman, any woman how she could respect herself better.

any self respecting individual wouldn't give a rats ass what you think about them when they rock whistler in a mini and **** me boots, or when they make a good sum of money posing half naked for some stupid bike fork.

i am willing to bet that a lot less people care what you think about them than you would like to acknowledge. your opinions are not so important or as relevant as you would like to think.

Brad23

Monkey
Jan 9, 2004
West Oakland
erik, your trolling, not encouraging. Your too busy judging others instead of trying to understand (for) yourself. I wouldn't expect to understand my sig, but I would advise you to open up your mind a little bit, you might just find life a little more enjoyable. It's a very old quote from "the Old Man Of the Mountain" BTW you take as you will, but the fact you take it as threat is very telling to your experience in life. Now you can try and instigate a fight here to busy yourself or you could go out and live life to it's fullest. I'm not saying that's where I'm at, but I'm trying.

On another note, someone mentioned utilikilts, I have a funny, but painfull story about those, I'll have to dig up a pic to set the mood though.

Cheers, Brad

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
goodtobeIrie said:
because of one thread that people have differing opinions on, that makes me a regular Sh*t stirrer around here?? Seems to me you're trying to start **** with me for wanting to hear his opinion...because I think that wearing a skirt and mtbing isn't about "cuz I can" it's about the fact that you're trying to draw attention to yourself physically...that makes me a SH*t stirrer?? I just wanted to know what he had to say about the subject...and because my opinion differs from yours that's wrong?? Go ahead and wear a skirt sweetie...show off those legs you worked ALL that cellulite off of...feel free...no skin off me, but I bet you'll lose some...

So next time YOU want to start Sh*t with me...make sure you have some proof to back it up...cuz one thread on a forum doesn't constitute for being a regular SH*T stirrer...So sit back and think about this one...and maybe you'll see that you're the one trying to start SH*T with me...
Just curious- as you already realize that it's good to be irie, why not live it? Nothing wrong at all with posting your opinion(whether popular or not), but some of your posts in this particular thread do not jive with the layed-back stereotype of one who gets or is irie. Again, not trying to kick a chick while she's down...just curious.

Freak

Aug 15, 2001
Redmond, Washington
Boy there sure is a lot of CATTINESS going on in here! Why don't we get some more photos going instead of bitching?

zachdank

Chimp
Jan 22, 2004
NORCALhellathrowdown
laura said:
you know, you've become a regular **** stirrer around here.
wouldn't want to stir up any $hit in your own personal forum. you have alot of posts, i guess that means no one should go against your opinion, or they might be banished from your club. :rolleyes:

J

JRB

Why would anyone come in here and consider bashing MB for riding in a skirt. Piss off. I only view it as disdain for your lack of efforts. If you can prove otherwise, post up some pics. Pads are ok, but until there is a pic of you rockin that drop, you should pipe down.

So is gtbi and zachdank the same person??? I am confused. I am also wondering why laura would be persecuted for trying to rationalize. If you can't say, good job to any of the ladies in any of these pics, you should spend some time thinking about yourself.

Erik - what did you think was going to happen? Nice job trolling though. I for one think you seem like an elitest, self absorbed pile of "ME". I hope that is what you wanted.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
zachdank said:
wouldn't want to stir up any $hit in your own personal forum. you have alot of posts, i guess that means no one should go against your opinion, or they might be banished from your club. :rolleyes:
Why does having a lot of posts have to do with anything stating a personal opinion? :confused:

I thought us women were supposed to state our opinions and be all that? Work, bare childern, clean the house, and be a supportive wife? :rolleyes: Insead when we do it's looked on as being b*tchy.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
This thread is really starting to irritate me. Hey Freak and Velocity Girl, Lets start up another Rippin Chix Pix thread, where the only posting rules are there is to be no "hatin." Just pix of chix riding.

Shyrmp

Nekkid Girl Gone Wild
Dec 31, 2002
The suburbs of Mexico.....
DH Diva said:
This thread is really starting to irritate me. Hey Freak and Velocity Girl, Lets start up another Rippin Chix Pix thread, where the only posting rules are there is to be no "hatin." Just pix of chix riding.
I'll second that...the Rippin Chix threads were fun...especially when DHRacer starts talking to himself.....:p

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
zachdank said:
i don't know what you are talking about.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Just gotta say this has been a great thread to read through, obviously some strong opinions on the subject. As a straight white male it's kinda hard to relate to what it's like to be a woman in a sport dominated by men, especially when there's a disproportionate amount of hormone-driven youngsters just figuring out how to act as they stumble through their lives. Personally I'm psyched to hear and see more and more women getting involved in something I really love. It's also pretty clear that it's silly to think that all women will come together in some united front of feminism. All of us (men and women) are entitled to our own opinions and our own approach, and it would be pretty boring if everyone did the same thing.

Some of you think wearing a mini while riding does harm to the "cause" or whatever, but I disagree. Putting aside, for the moment, the valid argument that wearing a mini is not that safe, I think getting out there in girlie clothing makes a statement that hey, you can ride the gnar AND still be feminine if you want. And props to you for that. Some of you who have taken issue with the mini would probably not ever wear a mini off the bike. And props to you for that.

One of the best things about riding is the opportunity to express your individuality. This is especially true with freeriding. So be girlie, be butch, whatever, just be on your bike and do what you want! That's liberation, no matter how you define it.

Anyway, it's gotta be tough, so much respect for all of you, whatever you're wearing. Hopefully there will come a day when being a girl that rides is just not that big a deal. See ya on the trails!