Quantcast

Pictures of old and obscure suspension bikes

Banga

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
"Only second frame than the Be One to use 100mm xtr BB"

Foes also used a 100mm XTR bb for a couple of their team bikes,
but I think they just made up custom axles with the standard adjustable cups for theres.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
MikeD said:
Yep, a Cortina.
The year was the part in question, The bike had a custom linkage and front triangle to work with the 11.25X3 stroke shock. Pretty crazy at the time. Heavy but it rode butter smooth.

BrayDownhill

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Bray, Ireland
scottishmark said:
Oldest (the world cup winner):

I still have one of those, was such a fun bike to ride,would love to build it into a trail bike but the back end is bent like crazy. Won my first race on one of them, they were perfect for the not so steep Irish tracks.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
dw said:
The year was the part in question, The bike had a custom linkage and front triangle to work with the 11.25X3 stroke shock. Pretty crazy at the time. Heavy but it rode butter smooth.
I dunno if it qualify's as a weird or old suspension bike as I think they still make them. Basicly unchanged but maybe some bearing upgrades. Here in Santa Barbara they use to be the frames to get. Great family and good frames........but I think when other California based frame builders went mainstream (Intense, Turner, Santa Cruz etc....) it sorta knocked them off the local map for good. If only they could chime in on this thread I bet they have some old and obscure pics of bikes. I remember as a kid Dan always would be riding a different one down the street etc..... with those old XYZ Bullet Bro's forks. Some good times for sure!

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
That old Japanese bike that DW posted scares me bad....I've never been a big fan of exposed shocks...especially right there.... :eek: One rock and you can kiss 300+ bucks goodbye!!

This is an awesome thread!!! I luv seeing all the old and eclectic stuff!!! I think I still want some of those bikes to ride around on just to kick it old-skool style!!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA

Leave it to the Japanese

Looks a little like the first Turner Highline Proto

This was discussed on RM this past winter I believe.

Is Hot Chili still around?

An interesting dh bike from Italy

Old Scott

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
ill pay one buck more than orven for that sunn frame, just in case a euro monkey finds one.

orven: a friend of mine has one of the latest scott octane dh thats broken in the head tube area where that wacky head angle adjustment thing is.
im trying to get a replacement, but its going to be tough, anyways let me know if you have any interest in it as it is or if it gets replaced.

heres a storm dressed up in 99 fashion

Attachments

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV

whoa, thats cool.

where was that discussed?

Always been intrigued by linkage forks...

edit: OK disregard, seems to be an art project, a cool one though.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
dw said:

whoa, thats cool.

where was that discussed?

Always been intrigued by linkage forks...

edit: OK disregard, seems to be an art project, a cool one though.
we were trying to figure out how the damn thing worked. Seems to be modelled after BMWs linkage forks. Think it was a little more than an 'art' project

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
dw said:
I think it was '99-2000 era. I remember Adrian riding one with the original C-cycle fork (later called Avalanche I believe). It was an absolute tank in the mid 50's but could ride over anything.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
zedro said:
we were trying to figure out how the damn thing worked. Seems to be modelled after BMWs linkage forks. Think it was a little more than an 'art' project
it looks to work exactly like the BMW forks. Did you check out the other stuff on the link? Its part of an exhibition of class projects from an art school. The industrial designers at my school were very creative with foam and everything else they could get their hands on in the same way. One guy made a whole jet ski prototype. You would have never known it wasnt real if you didnt help move it...

Didint take away from its coolness though.

Dave

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
oly said:
I think my all time favorite product in the mag was the suspension fork that used 2 bungee chords and a reversed rigid fork.

The other thing thats always funny to me is that 1992 isnt that long ago... but man doesnt it seem like the dark ages for some stuff??
Could it be the long lost pictures of a

Creastone Peak SAS full suspension bike. :drool: Don't ask me how I remember that....:o::D

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
OGRipper said:
I can never find a pic of that Alex Pong Cannondale when I want one. It's like it was made by aliens and all the pics are in Area 54 or something. Cool thread. How about this one:
(Warning: Name dropping to commence)

Saw Mr Pong last Memorial Day weekend. He was riding a KTM 250 4 stroke. :D If you liked his MTB creation you should have seen his modified Cagiva 125cc MX bike. One sided fork (2 forkes mounted on one side) and a single sided rear swing arm where the sproket also doubled as a rear disk....all home made on his CNC machine. He was working on an engine (more like a rotory airplane engine) before he cut back on inventing.

:D

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Spitfired said:
What ever happened to Sunn? Those older Radical frames are awesome.
They are still around www.sunnbicycle.com, but I'm not sure of they are the same company they once were (think schwinn and gt).

My first full suspension bike was actually a Sunn XCHOX that they were selling at airbomb for ultra cheap. It was the same year as this one.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Avanti Moto pro, used an ohlins moto shock. This is one of Nathan Rennies old bikes (thats why he is so fast, imagine DH'ing this thing, what a tank!)

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
My request is for someone to post a pic of a Foes Slammer one-off where it was leaf-sprung. If you have a copy of the flick Bragging Rights, it's shown on several clips of the leaf sprung Slammer in action (Deer Valley and Mount Snow). That thing looked so cool..

the time when canadians were still trying to figure frame outs.

Ionic Ion6. Actually it was built by Kinesis USA and still manufactured for Dagger.
I had one through a friend and it actually rode real nice for a very flexy bike.

Jan's VRS...

find that Foes Slammer leaf sprung pic.....

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
Spunger said:
I dunno if it qualify's as a weird or old suspension bike as I think they still make them. Basicly unchanged but maybe some bearing upgrades. Here in Santa Barbara they use to be the frames to get. Great family and good frames........but I think when other California based frame builders went mainstream (Intense, Turner, Santa Cruz etc....) it sorta knocked them off the local map for good. If only they could chime in on this thread I bet they have some old and obscure pics of bikes. I remember as a kid Dan always would be riding a different one down the street etc..... with those old XYZ Bullet Bro's forks. Some good times for sure!
dude they have a stack of old frames from the 90's ...some really old ones with rise elastomer shocks...mabye adrian will snap a few pics and post em ill ask him today

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
No, this is sadly not a joke. Less humorous is the fact that this dude dresses like this every day of the years and smells it. He was the victim of some sort of head trauma although there is debate over exactly what kind. The leading two exaplanations are that he had a nervous breakdown during Air Force basic training and a motorcycle accident of some sort. He hates Irish people b/c an Irish cop took his guns away. This pic was taken at the Cycle Loft in Burlington, MA. Enjoy.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Not that old, but I hoped at the time (1999), this bike would see production,.... or at least I could get a one sided rear end for mine.

Notice the custom made 'green machine' in the background of the second and third pictures. I don't know where my pics of that bad boy went. Too bad, it was sweet.

Attachments

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
/\/\att said:
i though i would post up some pics of my old frame i found i still have it

click it to make it big
Did that thing have Answer Pro forx for the rear suspension?