Quantcast

Pictures of old and obscure suspension bikes

meatboot

Monkey
Jul 28, 2004
Chapel Hell
bballe336 said:
wow. that yeti is so cool. where chainrings like that ever popular?
That bike was set up for speed record riding, you know charging down a ski slope at mach 11. Although back in the day chainrings with tooth counts in the mid sixties were not uncommon.

Jimmy Deaton ran some big rings.

I've always liked that last picture. I remember when it first came out, even though I was a full on XC head back then. I guess Jimmy was ahead of his time, check out the knee gaskets and skate helmet.

I think this bike was also for a special event, either Kamikaze or maybe a speed record -- is that snow on the rear tire?

Edited b/c I forgot the tags.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
if any collector freak is interested, I still have a few HUGE paragon rings here and custom MRP for up to 65t ring...once my riders found out you dont need bigger than a 50t to go fast down Kami, that stuff began collecting dust.

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
Orvan said:
My request is for someone to post a pic of a Foes Slammer one-off where it was leaf-sprung. If you have a copy of the flick Bragging Rights, it's shown on several clips of the leaf sprung Slammer in action (Deer Valley and Mount Snow). That thing looked so cool..

the time when canadians were still trying to figure frame outs.

Ionic Ion6. Actually it was built by Kinesis USA and still manufactured for Dagger.
I had one through a friend and it actually rode real nice for a very flexy bike.

Jan's VRS...

find that Foes Slammer leaf sprung pic.....

Finally! a pic of the Karpiel VRS. I was trying to find the brochure with my bike in it.
That bike changed my life.Adjustable rising rate linkage,and BB height-independently.

Notice the clamp on style bars a'la road race motorcycles-this was still the Kamakazi days,where aerodynamics were thought to be important.

Had 2 of those bikes in 96 and 97 before the Disco came about.

Best thread ever. Krispy

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
peter6061 said:
Not that old, but I hoped at the time (1999), this bike would see production,.... or at least I could get a one sided rear end for mine.

Notice the custom made 'green machine' in the background of the second and third pictures. I don't know where my pics of that bad boy went. Too bad, it was sweet.

They had that GT in the window at Sids bike shop on 34st in NYC. Looks great but to me it was more a Cannondale can do single front and we can do single rear response from GT.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
that bow ti is very cool :thumb: . possibly the only URT i truly lusted over...

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
peter6061 said:
Not that old, but I hoped at the time (1999), this bike would see production,.... or at least I could get a one sided rear end for mine.

Notice the custom made 'green machine' in the background of the second and third pictures. I don't know where my pics of that bad boy went. Too bad, it was sweet.
damn i always wondered how a single sided swing arm would work. i want that.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
side note. i don't think the front der actually worked on this thing... i know the small ring is locked out but the middle still looks like it wouldn't work

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
peter6061 said:

seems that would belong nicely (well in theory) on their new IT bike

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
DHS said:
side note. i don't think the front der actually worked on this thing... i know the small ring is locked out but the middle still looks like it wouldn't work.
No it wouldn't work to much of a jump. The Der is the chainguide. Love this old school stuff.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
1000-Oaks said:
What's this Cortina, maybe a '99 or 2000 model? It's got old-school 24" wheels front and rear, Bender-style.

The funny thing is it's for sale for $1,000 in the buy/sell section. Umm, sorry guy but that's about $800 more than it's worth, LOL.
:D

THAT THING WAS CUSTOM MADE FOR A LITTLE KID NOT "BENDER STYLE"

say 10

Chimp
Jul 30, 2004
NH
I have a couple that I haven't seen posted yet

'00 KHS FXT LT3 is it's full glory. Seat tower is as far back as possible for a 21.75 top tube, that 100 mm stem really helped out. I couldn't find an older one of these.

No Barracudas? My friend Mike's first fully, HS22's and the fork that stopped working after one week. URT baby!

Some bikes in action from Mt Snow '01
Lahar

Cannondale- Mr. Chase

Anne C.- practice run, cleaned yard sale with just a rear rim!

BCD

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Anne C.- practice run, cleaned yard sale with just a rear rim!

Hahahaha, i was at that race. That happened during her race run and she borrowed my friend's knife to cut the tire off.......We still have the tire somewhere.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
BuddhaRoadkill said:
I didn't think it was old enough to post ['99], but since you requested some Trek Madness ...

... and the best part? I will be riding it THIS weekend at whistler. :dancing:
How many years did they make that for? I own a Med 1998 frame.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
jell-oe said:
Im still riding my trek frame. Im just wondering what year that frame is? cuase it the front end looks totaly weird :eek:

its the same year as the others only its a small, really rare and probably the best of the breed because it lacks the signature ball crushing top tube

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
RhinofromWA said:
Holy crap! I am not sure what that is.....or what to even say about it. Found it on a general search of DH bikes on MSN.com

:eek:

http://www.crazypages.de/bilder/bikes/outlaw-bike.jpg

rhino

those are pacific generic bikes, that one is particularly nasty because it has some weird linkages going on that have the habit of collapsing.

the zenith is from the same page that brodie shops from.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
legend_killer said:
Legend killer, you are the best!

I remember when that frame was on sale......Ebay or MTBR I can't remember...I wanted it soooooo bad.

Where did you find the picture? Or did you have it already?
Edit: Never mind ....different computer gave me a better look at the website I linked to before....it is off the same site. :o:

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
AR_ said:

Posting on Behalf of tmx. If they were posted earlier i apologise, but i can't be bothered searching, im far too busy wondering where my bikes gone from my garage.
Isn't that a 9" Ti rotor in front? Or maybe a different size. Can't remember.