Quantcast

Pigboy runs a marathon (not a "ride" per se)

pigboy

in a galaxy far, far away
As some of you know I have been training for triathlons and marathons lately and have not really been riding much.

Today was the 26th running of the California International Marathon (aka CIM) in Sacramento, CA.

I've been training for this race since I got home from the summer NE MonkeyFest. My training regime is detailed here:
Hal Higdon Advanced II

Now I'm a slacker by nature and I live alone most of the time on a property 30 minutes outside of the closest decent sized town (Hilo, HI). I'm also kind of busy because I'm supposed to take care of the property I live on (10-30hrs/week), run my business (Wireless ISP, 20-60hrs/week), coach soccer (10hrs/week). So the amount of training I actually did vs. what is called for on Hal Higdon's Advanced II plan was sort of off kilter. I'd estimate that I did about 50% of the training runs called for on the plan.

Now that's sort of insane because I decided to run the CIM as a qualifying race for the Boston Marathon. The Boston Marathon qualifying time for my age bracket is 3hrs 15minutes. Which translates to about 7:27/mile. That's a pretty brisk pace. Especially if you need to hold it for 26.2 miles. But being as I am an optimist and a fool I was not going to ditch the CIM just because my actual training mileage was, at first glance, insufficient.

Last week my buddy Simon asked me what I thought my chances were for running a qualifying time. I said, "Hmm... I dunno. I mean I can run at race pace for 4 miles, but 26.2 seems a bit of a stretch."

Today dawned chilly and foggy in Folsom, CA. Approximately 36 degrees at race start. And there we all were. over 7000 lunatics wearing shorts, hats and shirts of various arm lengths. When I say "dawned" what I mean is that we were all awake and at the starting line. I think dawn happened shortly after the race started at 7AM. That or the fog and overcast was so thick that dawn might as well have slept in till they started the race. Shortly before the race start, and after I had tossed my bag of extra clothes into the back of the truck that takes your stuff to the finish line, I noticed that I was still wearing my sweatpants. STUPID STUPID STUPID! Oh well. Off they came and onto the side of the road they were tossed. Shortly after that I found the pace runner for the 3:15 group. The CIM is a big qualifying race for Boston and as a result the CIM organizers find volunteers to run various paces so that inexperienced fools like me (did I mention that this was my first ever marathon?) can have some hope of not going out too fast and blowing up.

BANG!

And we're off. The first several miles was wall to wall runners. Most of us cruising along at a nice clip and taking it easy. Lots of people along the course cheering and hollering. Lots of aid stations with water and electrolyte drinks. And every few miles a DJ. First DJ took the prize as he was playing AC/DC's Highway to Hell. ROCK OUT! Local high school cheer squads in most downtowns and major road crossings. Lots of smiles and hootin. And so far so good with regard to me being able to keep up with the 3:15 group.

One of the side benefits of running with a pace group is that many spectators cheer for your pace group. So if you're a lone wolf the act of joining a pace team turns many of the spectators into your cheer squad. I almost felt like they were cheering for me. It was pretty cool.

We cruised along, mile after mile. For some reason the race seemed to be mostly downhill, though there were certainly uphills in there too. In fact the overall course drops 400 feet from start to finish and that is very nice. But I think there was some sort of personal hallucination in there for me as I rarely noticed the uphill portions. In fact I can only think of three or four of them several hours after the race. Around mile 18 or 19 I started doing the thing that is often a sign of fatigue for me. I started counting down the miles. We passed the wall (a symbolic wall put up at to remind people that they may run into the crushing wall of fatigue, cramps and defeat) just before mile marker 21. At each side of the wall were people dressed up as the grim reaper. Nice touch.

I had been feeling pretty good so far. At the 20 mile marker I realized, "I really have a shot at this. I can pull this mother off!" All I had to do was keep it at the pace. One foot in front of the other. Unbelievable based upon this being my first marathon and my training having been approximately half of what it should have been. I smiled and thought of the condescending guy from yesterday at registration who had sort of sneered when I said I was planning to do a 3:15 and then run his mouth a bit about people who only run 30-40 miles per week and are out there for their first marathon who think they can do a 3:15. I said nothing to him while he did his low key mini-rant, but it had motivated me and it felt good to be close to proving him wrong.

Shortly after the 21 mile marker our pace guy picked it up. Or I slowed the heck down. ruh-roh. I had been tracking our pace and according to the folks at each mile marker we had been doing 7:29s or 7:28s so far. That's a few seconds shy of our 3:15 goal. Just after mile 21, on an uphill from an underpass onto a bridge a gap opened. Maybe Bob, our pace guy, had just re-figured his math and realized that we needed to pick it up. I grimly held on and sung "Cochise" to myself under my breath (awesome tune for motivating me). And they kept pulling away. Each mile saw them widen the gap by another 10 or 20 yards. Fu ken a.....

And I reached mile 24. And my watch told me something like 3:01. And I had about 14 minutes to complete 2.2 miles. I had already left a lot of my legs behind me. My calves were bitching and tight from lactic acid. It was time to get it in gear and drop two seven minute miles if I wanted to run Boston in 2009.

So as we entered the downtown area of Sacramento I dug for it. I put the pain to the side as much as I could and quickened my tempo. And I'll be damned if I didn't start passing people. At one of the corners our pace guy had stopped and was cheering for us stragglers. "Pain is temporary!" he yelled as he waved his 3:15 sign. So I kept digging for it. "Guts guts guts guts," I kept saying. And finally the palm trees appeared that line the property where the state capitol building is located and where the finish line was located. But what a long bloody line of palm trees. "Guts guts guts guts!" and I turned the 2nd to last corner and peeked at my watch, 3:14 and change. Pound pound pound. Huffing and chugging my way around the last turn into the final 50 yards. 3:14:28 on the clock as I turned that corner and "sprinted" to the line.

And I did it! 3:14:40 plus or minus a few seconds!

Afterwards my legs locked up faster than I could believe and I started going hypothermic. Space blanket or no I had very little left in the way of heat generation. Luckily I didn't pass out or need medical, but it was one of those classic teeth chattering like a typewriter moments.

I'm really glad to have pulled off my goal. I still don't really believe it. My longest pace run in training was 10 miles and I could only hold 7:47 during that run. To have done 7:27 almost right on the nose for the full 26.2 blows my mind. Until I try and stand up and walk around. Then I remember what I had to go through to pull it off as I hobble around my friend's apartment like and old man.

sorry if this is long winded, rambling, full of awful spelling and grammar problems, ridiculous sentence structure, etc. I just barfed it all out and have done no editing or revisions, but wanted to share this awesome experience with my monkeys while it was still fresh in my mind.

Riding

Monkey
Dec 19, 2006
Millis, MA
Sweet I'll look for you if the timing is right with the sox game. Marathon Monday is a super fun day in Boston. Speaking of which I haven't received my email from the sox. I guess I lost the lottery and Ace Tickets won 1000 entires AGAIN!:disgust:

pigboy

Sweet I'll look for you if the timing is right with the sox game. Marathon Monday is a super fun day in Boston. Speaking of which I haven't received my email from the sox. I guess I lost the lottery and Ace Tickets won 1000 entires AGAIN!:disgust:
Marathon Monday was the first day I ever remember going to Fenway when I was a little squeaker. It was super fun.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
awesome writeup and accomplishment. :thumb: that's pretty badass that there are volunteers to pace you.

pigboy

awesome writeup and accomplishment. :thumb: that's pretty badass that there are volunteers to pace you.
yeah. i don't think i could have done it without our pace guy. it let me turn off the part of my brain that would have been burning energy worrying about whether or not I was keeping the correct pace.

I finally found official race results.

my time: 3:14:46
overall: 574th out of 6500

Last edited:

pigboy

Doh... I forgot having read that - qualifying times vary for age groups, 35 to 39 is 3:15 - I missed my effort by over 5 minutes when I was 37.
I'm 38.

I have woken up the past two mornings and wondered whether I really did it or if it was some sort of full blown psychotic fantasy.

SM: sounds like you are within striking distance of qualifying. GO FOR IT!!!

i'm not sure if CIM has posted the searchable age & gender results. I had to dig around on the Sacramento Bee website to find a PDF file that had the sequential listing of all finishers and then deduced that I was 574 by counting how many finishers there were on each page and then multiplying that number by my page # minus 1 + my spot on my page.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
yeah. i don't think i could have done it without our pace guy. it let me turn off the part of my brain that would have been burning energy worrying about whether or not I was keeping the correct pace.

I finally found official race results.

my time: 3:14:46
overall: 574th out of 6500
Frikin' awesome! I think I'll try the same training plan for my next marathon.

Running with a pacer is the best way to do it. I agree you can shut off your mind and just run.

Congrats on making the cut for the Boston! :banana:

pigboy

Ben If you want We should be able to put up the night before the marathon, we are about 5 miles form the start.
oooh... I might take you up on that offer.

though my Dad and Step-Mom are so excited by all of this that I'm figuring they will want to be my support crew (they live in Concord, MA)

i'm trying to get sponsored by Lizzy's Ice Cream. :)

Colonel Angus

Monkey
Feb 15, 2005
land of the green chiles
Nice work Pigboy!

Long, long ago (maybe 1995) I set my PR at the CIM. I think it was 3:23. Something about all those people cheering and the slightly downhill course brings out the best. Awesome that you made your goal with 20 seconds to spare.

matt2991

penishead
Jun 12, 2006
My dad ran to Marine Corps marathon in 3:45 early in October. My dad's pace guy who was ahead on him the last 2 miles fell over 500 yards from the finish line. He was so dehydrated and didn't eat enough. It was pretty scary to watch. You just seem him start wobbling and then just falls and passes out. The doctors said he didn't eat nearly enough, and that sense his body didn't have any carbs left, his muscles were relying on his tissue or something weird like that. What do you eat before a marathon so you don't bonk? My dad couldn't walk the next day and was so hungry that my brother drove him 3 blocks to the steakhouse for breakfast. My dad's trainer said that he proboly didn't take in proper nutrition since he was so sore for like a week.

My dad may do NYC or Boston next year if he can find a diet plan lol

pigboy

What do you eat before a marathon so you don't bonk? My dad couldn't walk the next day and was so hungry that my brother drove him 3 blocks to the steakhouse for breakfast. My dad's trainer said that he proboly didn't take in proper nutrition since he was so sore for like a week.

My dad may do NYC or Boston next year if he can find a diet plan lol
You eat a healthy diet during training (plenty of carbs, some fat and some protein). You can go heavy on the carbs during your final week before the race to ensure your muscles have plenty of glycogen during the race. And during the race you drink water and consume carbs. For me that meant slugging a Hammer Gel every three miles until I hit the 21 mile marker.

After the race open your mouth and pour in plenty of water and carbs and some protein. Mostly you just want to make sure that in the first two hours after the race you eat a meal. Then do it again 4-6 hours later. After the race your body is completely depleted. The first step towards a fast recovery is refilling your fuel tank.