Quantcast

Pike: Converting from solo air to dual position?

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
So long story short I am currently riding a 160mm 26" Pike dual position...I broke my frame and the bike Im getting is available in either 26 or 27.5

Im having a real hard time buying a 26" bike in 2014 even though I just bought the Pike and some new 26" hoops

At this point Im not prepared to lose 400$ on a fork I rode for 2months..the dual position forks are considerably more expensive than the solo airs..

Was thinking of picking up a near new 27.5 solo air and dropping in my 26" dual position air spring..I could sell the 26" now converted to solo air and not really lose any $ and I would have an all black dual position fork (I hate the white lowers and crown)

Does anybody know if they are compatible?? I would think they would keep the internals the same between different chassis to keep production costs down..

Thanks- I know kinda an oddball question but I figured it doesn't hurt to ask

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
They're compatible. I stuck a 160 dual into a 150 solo fork.

You need the lowers and (maybe) crowns though so your idea doesn't sound too off.
same wheel size though??

yea i was thinking that the difference between a 26 and 27.5 was either the crown or lowers...had the lbs call sram and both are unique to each wheelsize...

Just going to buy a lightly used 27.5 solo air and do the spring swap..

I was going to stick with 26 but my riding buddy who is extremely fast just switched to 27.5 yesterday and was even faster on his first run, with the biggest difference being more traction..Both him and I were skeptical on the advantages but he was a believer as soon as he rode it..that and the fact that my after work ride involves some gnarly uphill square edge climbs..

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
same wheel size though??

yea i was thinking that the difference between a 26 and 27.5 was either the crown or lowers...had the lbs call sram and both are unique to each wheelsize...

Just going to buy a lightly used 27.5 solo air and do the spring swap..

I was going to stick with 26 but my riding buddy who is extremely fast just switched to 27.5 yesterday and was even faster on his first run, with the biggest difference being more traction..Both him and I were skeptical on the advantages but he was a believer as soon as he rode it..that and the fact that my after work ride involves some gnarly uphill square edge climbs..
Same fork, I just swapped the air spring only. For what it's worth, it is a 27.5 spring in a 26 fork. That's all RS had for sale when I did it.

Timespace opened up a vortex and dragons needed slaying because of the mismatch but whatever, it works.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
sweet! thanks for the info..stoked to have a black dual position!

Same fork, I just swapped the air spring only. For what it's worth, it is a 27.5 spring in a 26 fork. That's all RS had for sale when I did it.

Timespace opened up a vortex and dragons needed slaying because of the mismatch but whatever, it works.