Quantcast

Pivot Mach 5.7c in comparison to Mojo and TRc

dbozman

Monkey
May 11, 2008
Scottsdale, AZ
I have to agree with (some of) the above. Although the Mach 5.7 and I didn't get along, Ken and everyone I've ever met associated with Pivot have been awesome people and I have a ton of respect for the company

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
So I figured I'd add just a touch more info here as I've gotten quite a bit more ride time on it.
I've changed the rear derailleur to a Short cage Zee, swapped the front ring to a E13 guide ring vs. the Race Face for a more climbing oriented gear range. New rims will go one when they arrive in February. I'm switching out the tires from Trail Kings to Rocket Ron 2.4 front and 2.35 Noby Nick or HansDampf I havent totally decided yet.

Anyway... The bike is stiff. You can really feel it when cornering and off camber situations. With our PNW trails we have a lot of rooty, wet, off camber side-hilling so you're leaning the bike to force the up-hill knobs to dig in and keep traction. My previous Reign, Trance, Fuel, and TRc all had a noticeable amount of give and flex when rocking over the roots. Most of our trails have a a lot of flow built in without being boring that comes with trails that are asphalt smooth. However, alot of the corner are sharp and I tend to ride by just slamming into them and squaring them off. The 5.7 takes it in like it was nothing and then rockets back out.
Switching lines mid-trail is really nice. It's easy to just load the suspension and pop elsewhere or just unweight and drift where you want to be. I feel like the bike has a more poppy and nimble attitude while being especially stable. In sections with rollers and roots together the bike soaks up the trail but not in a full-plow dh bike sense. You can feel the tire rolling through everything but not getting hung up. It's pretty spectacular feeling.
I was given a Garmin Edge 800 as my Christmas bonus and have been using the hell out of it. Riding the "typical" weekend route which is a "climb to the top, blast to the bottom" includes 1800ft of climbing and of course and equal amount of descending in 6.1-6.6 miles depending on which gate we start at. With 1600ft of elevation gain in the first 3 miles our trails certainly aren't flat. The 67.5 head angle is spot on for comfort climbing and descending.

The only problems I have with the bike are...
1. A derailleur hanger alignment tool doesn't fit on the hanger. I just wanted to check everything was square and that if an emergency arose I wouldn't be SOL but the hanger is pretty stout and I have a spare so not a huge deal.
2. I'm getting the urge to sell every other bike I own. For me, I like having a bike for every situation. My garage is full of "niche" style bikes that only work in three or four spots. However the more time I spend on the 5.7c, the more I see those other bikes being useless.

frgeoff

Chimp
Feb 3, 2009
2. I'm getting the urge to sell every other bike I own. For me, I like having a bike for every situation. My garage is full of "niche" style bikes that only work in three or four spots. However the more time I spend on the 5.7c, the more I see those other bikes being useless.
is there anything you miss about your 6point, any trails that the 6point handled better?

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
The 6point rides more like a downhill bike. It's more plush over roots rocks but it takes more work to change lines and transfer from one line to another. The 6point doesn't jump quite as well either. I swapped the shock for a RP23 Adaptive Logic Boost Valve and run it in pro-pedal 1. My Mach 5.7c I run completely open.
The Mach 5.7c definitely feels like it's designed to hammer the living S*** out of climbs and blast the downhills. The 6point feels like it climbs well without the "race bike sprinting" feel of the 5.7 and soaks up more of the small stuff but bottoms easier. The 5.7c skips over some of the small stuff but takes bigger hits better. I will say the 6point climbs better than the TRc I came off of to give a frame of reference to how good both the 6point is and how much better the 5.7c is.

The 6point has some heavy amount of time into making it what I want. Milled/honed the seattube to accept a 30.9mm Reverb, custom paint, XTR cranks modified for an 83mm bottom bracket, 30lbs with the dropper post, 780mm bars, and a coil sprung fork..and of course loads of miles logged.

We got in 3300ft of climbing this weekend and rallied pretty good. We had 2 new kids today so the pace was a bit slower. As the trails dry out a little and I get in better shape I'll try to hit 12,000 feet of elevation gain in a weekend. It took 4 hours last year in sub stellar shape to get 7k in a day on the Stumpy Evo.