Quantcast

Plasma VS LCD

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
Is it worth spending the extra money for an LCD?

When I'm at the store it the quality between a Plasma and LCD is nominal.

The price difference however is huge. 100 to 200 more for LCD the same size as a comparable Plasma.

I can afford a LCD, but why? Is there a good reason to spend the bones?

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
no, buy a plasma

the only time id recommend a LCD is if you have a lot of glare in the room and you want a LED lit LCD

theres tons of threads on this already too

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
last i checked, when you live at altitude, and plasmas are assembled as sea level, you're asking for trouble.

don't believe china has a fab in denver.

might be relevant: http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatv/plasmatv-altitude.html
its not really a issue anymore.

even that article states it:
At 5295 feet, Denver lies well under our new recommended limit of around 6500 feet. Pioneer states maximum altitude of 7500 feet. Panasonic now states maximum altitude at 7800 feet. NEC's plasma TVs are rated to a maximum of 9180 feet.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
right, but it's not a step function, and parts of this town (COS, assuming this is where he still lives) & outlying areas go to around 8k, and most are around the limit of 6500', even if chamber of commerce claims 6018' as the official elevation (monument creek parallels I-25).

just seems end-of-life would come sooner w/ a plasma, all things being =

ed: also, all elevations aren't barometrically similar; another consideration

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
even if at 8000ft, that site says Pana's are good to 7800'. should be no issue, but before purchase, id recommend getting the info right from the mfg, not some site.

when did LCDs get more expensive than plasma sets?
price are up and down in both categories. you can get a cheap 720p LCD for $400+ or a cheap 720p plasma for just a bit more. a cheap 1080p LCD around around the same price as a 720p plasma.

a high end plasma is more money typically then a high end LCD, but when you get to the larger screen sizes above 50", then LCD's get super pricey.