Quantcast

Platform/clipless hybrid pedals?

mtnluvn

Monkey
May 14, 2005
Squamish/Whistler
Does anyone have any suggestions? Right now I have the factory installed shimano clipless pedals on my ride, but the flipside flat is far too small. I want to find a pedal that has a decent flat with good grip for playing around on, but also has the option of clipless for those longer XC trails. I've been without a bike for a while (too long!) so my techy knowledge is lacking a bit. Does such a thing even exist or do I have to go with one or the other? If so, which way should I go? Honestly I've never ridden with clipless, and the whole idea of being locked in is kinda scary, which is why I like the idea of having the option of both on one pedal. What do most of you ride with? Are there any major advantages to clipless - I've heard yes and no, that once you have your stroke down it doesn't make much of a difference. Feedback would be great:) Thanks!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Hey there! I started out riding with Shimano clipless pedals and hated them! They packed up with mud and I couldn't get in or out of them. So, I switched to flats and didn't like that too much either....I lost a lot of climbing power and I wouldn't commit to lines as much as when I was running clipless. So, last summer I went to TIME Atac Z pedals (with a cage) for playing around and TIME Atac pedals (no cage) for XC racing. I absolutely :love: them. They shed mud very well and are quite easy to get into and out of.

For me, the major advantages to clipless over flats is in power. I find that I can climb a lot better and I also commit to more challenging lines without that lingering "I can just put my foot down", but maybe that's just me :D I also like the ATAC Z's (with the platform) for really sketchy terrain when I will leave one foot clipped in and unclip one just for peace of mind. The platform is sturdy and gives my unclipped foot something to rest on without sliding right off. Trust me, I still forget to unclip or don't unclip quite fast enough sometimes and crash, but that's just part of riding.

My Time ATAC Z's

Time ATAC Alium

mtnluvn

Monkey
May 14, 2005
Squamish/Whistler
That's what I'm looking for too. While I don't mind the idea of have 2 sets of pedals and changing them depending the ride I'm doing, I would rather have one pair that does both. I'm happy to see that they do exist:) Does anyone else make something similar? Which side do you tend to use the most? I'm thinking that I might be able to live without the clipless for a while, at least until my ability level improves and I'm actually doing some more difficult stuff - mind you I'm hoping it won't take me long to get there ;)

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
I suggest that you just get two specific pairs. One clipless and one flat.

Reason for that is....

Flats benefit from non clipless shoes for best results and the same with clipless.

It takes minutes to swap and will give you what you desire for what each pedal style offers.

Clipless keeps my feet on when I need them and I can easily remove them when situation requires. I run SHimano DH pedals (old school red/black DX ones) and love them. I have a cheaper pair of shimano clipless for XC stuff....so I can use any shoe of mine on either bike. I have a cheap pair of flats (decent style) but I still don't feal comfortable riding in them....

If you are fealing akward in clips run flats for now....and try clips on some easy rec rides to see if you want to give them up.

Rhino

Apr 12, 2005
I switch my pedals out (between BMX flats and clipless) also. I was definitely more comfortable riding w/flat BMX pedals and skateboard shoes :) as well (for about 1-1/2 yrs). I'm just now giving my clipless pedals a fair trial. They've been on my bike for about 2 weeks now...I'm taking it slow, and so far so good! I've even done some jumping w/them on...nothing big. I can't tell you how many times I've just kind of "fallen over" (did it today, looked REALLY stupid :) since I've gone clipless. But it's getting better! I am determined to leave them on, because as was mentioned above, I believe that they will help me with climbs, more power when it's needed, etc. Good luck!

PamMTB

Chimp
Jul 26, 2004
TreeSaw said:
Hey there! I started out riding with Shimano clipless pedals and hated them! They packed up with mud and I couldn't get in or out of them. So, I switched to flats and didn't like that too much either....I lost a lot of climbing power and I wouldn't commit to lines as much as when I was running clipless. So, last summer I went to TIME Atac Z pedals (with a cage) for playing around and TIME Atac pedals (no cage) for XC racing. I absolutely :love: them. They shed mud very well and are quite easy to get into and out of.

For me, the major advantages to clipless over flats is in power. I find that I can climb a lot better and I also commit to more challenging lines without that lingering "I can just put my foot down", but maybe that's just me :D I also like the ATAC Z's (with the platform) for really sketchy terrain when I will leave one foot clipped in and unclip one just for peace of mind. The platform is sturdy and gives my unclipped foot something to rest on without sliding right off. Trust me, I still forget to unclip or don't unclip quite fast enough sometimes and crash, but that's just part of riding.
TreeSaw said:
I am relatively new to MTB and am still learning to clip in. I also have that girly fear of going too fast and not being able to clip out. But my boyfriend got me the ATAC Z's and I love them. Maybe it is not the best way to learn to ride clipless, since you always have the option to not clip in, but I have found over time that I am clipping in more and more. Essentially learning to clip in at my own pace.

And I'm getting much better at losing that girly fear of going too fast :-)

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
PamMTB said:
I am relatively new to MTB and am still learning to clip in. I also have that girly fear of going too fast and not being able to clip out. But my boyfriend got me the ATAC Z's and I love them. Maybe it is not the best way to learn to ride clipless, since you always have the option to not clip in, but I have found over time that I am clipping in more and more. Essentially learning to clip in at my own pace.

And I'm getting much better at losing that girly fear of going too fast :-)
Hi PamMTB!!! Welcome to da :monkey: Are you from the Rochester area? I belive we may have exchanged a message or 2 earlier in the year. Glad to see you're out there riding :thumb:

altagirl

Monkey
Aug 27, 2002
Utah
I'd go with one set of each. Try the clipless pedals on snoother, easier XC type trails where you're more focused on getting a workout, and use flats on trails with technical trails until you're confident clipping out - which really won't take you much time at all.

I'd avoid the schizophrenic half and half pedals because you then have to find the right side to clip back in. Clipless with a platform around them work well though as a long term solution, especially if you like riding techy trails where you'll be clipping in and out a lot. Unless you're heading the XC racing route, where you want to save weight. I love my Crank Bros Mallet C's, but I often still use flats for racing DH, depending on the course.