Quantcast

Playriding

macmx

Monkey
Dec 28, 2003
We are all riders. We can agree on that.
But people seem to want to belong to different riding niches. I am a downhiller. I am a street rider. I am a freerider etc.

But what is freeriding? It can be anything from an XC rider who enjoys the ride down, to a hucker who just jumps of cliffs and buildings.

But when it comes down to it - we all do a little of everything. Most of us have more than one bike, and do more than one type of riding. Most of us enjoy all kinds of riding. Very few people devote themselves to one type, thus the different riding-descriptions are meaningless to most riders.

I, for one, devote myself to having fun on my bike. Any riding that is fun is good. it can be anything from big jumps, fast downhills to sliding the back end out and popping wheelies. Therefor I have come up with the term "Playriding". Playriding is everything you can think of. Anything that is fun. When using this term and thinking about it, biking actually seems even more fun. "I am going to go playride!". Can you feel the smile rising from your stomach all the way up to you lips?

I have come to realize, that I don't need to belong to a certain group of riders. I don't belong in any of those.

I am a playrider. I invite everyone to come join the club. :)

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I only do black diamond, black diamond is way cooler than playriding, it's almost equivalent to erbon assult and slightly above freeriding. You need to send that to MBA so we can have another stupid name for the same old thing.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Hmm.. Nobody has figured out that giving it a specific name is still categorizing and will eventually grow to need a rigid definition by the anal retentive masses.

How about just saying, "I'm going riding"? That brings a big smile to my face..

kidwoo.. You're a cynical bastard :p :D

macmx

Monkey
Dec 28, 2003
Good thing.

PS: I am not trying to imply that you should actually use the term in daily speech.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Sort of a collective consciousness thing then..........

The playriders secret handshake.............

The ride that dare not speak it's name..................

Actually I'm a peerider. I try to leave the longest stream in the dirt while I'm flying overhead in the air.

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
macmx said:
We are all riders. We can agree on that.
But people seem to want to belong to different riding niches. I am a downhiller. I am a street rider. I am a freerider etc.

But what is freeriding? It can be anything from an XC rider who enjoys the ride down, to a hucker who just jumps of cliffs and buildings.

But when it comes down to it - we all do a little of everything. Most of us have more than one bike, and do more than one type of riding. Most of us enjoy all kinds of riding. Very few people devote themselves to one type, thus the different riding-descriptions are meaningless to most riders.

I, for one, devote myself to having fun on my bike. Any riding that is fun is good. it can be anything from big jumps, fast downhills to sliding the back end out and popping wheelies. Therefor I have come up with the term "Playriding". Playriding is everything you can think of. Anything that is fun. When using this term and thinking about it, biking actually seems even more fun. "I am going to go playride!". Can you feel the smile rising from your stomach all the way up to you lips?

I have come to realize, that I don't need to belong to a certain group of riders. I don't belong in any of those.

I am a playrider. I invite everyone to come join the club. :)
have you just read the most recent "grimy handshake" in bike magazine?

(payriding)

edit: i agree with you on the playriding thing and i guess i could be called a playrider :think:

Prechrysler

Chimp
Aug 6, 2004
binary visions said:
How about just saying, "I'm going riding"? That brings a big smile to my face..
Then you would be calling it Imgoingriding..riding. How 'bout we call it, "

.". There problem solved.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Once again I agree with Binary.

I agree that attempts to categorize are pretty stupid. But your solution is to create another (broad) category. How does that help?

Just call it riding. Or better yet, don't call it anything, just go do it and let others worry about what to call it.

macmx

Monkey
Dec 28, 2003
People in bike forums dissapoint me once again. I can see this thread, and possibly my playriding theori was a dud. Let's finish it off.

Now you can all go back to your favorite threads like "Benders new bike" and "How high can you drop?"...

Later skater...

macmx

Monkey
Dec 28, 2003
PS: I can see that my beginning text, which was written at 2 am, didn't come out the way I wanted. I, with my halfwitt Danish brain, wrote some misleading things that weren't supossed to be there. Too late to change that now.

Still - just go have fun.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
macmx said:
People in bike forums dissapoint me once again. I can see this thread, and possibly my playriding theori was a dud. Let's finish it off.

Now you can all go back to your favorite threads like "Benders new bike" and "How high can you drop?"...

Later skater...
Sorry we didn't live up to your expectations. You didn't live up to some of ours by being able to take some ribbing and have a sense of humor. Don't take it so personally. Nobody dislikes you or anything.

macmx

Monkey
Dec 28, 2003
I didn't think that either. It's just hard trying to get a serious thread started were you actually want to disguss something.

But it was probably naive of me to think I could disguss such a thing on a biking forum. That fault lies completely with me.

It's fine poking fun at people. I have done it to many people as well, and I haven't been offended by your replys, nor will you find me writing that I think your stupid. In fact, I actually laughed out loud when I read the first couple of replies (which I think have been deleted now? :think: ). I could see how one could easily make my thread look completely stupid. Which was fun. Self-irony is normally fun.

My intentions were actually to hear different peoples view of riding, and how they portray themselves as riders.

Shortbus

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
Stuck in the 80s
I think it's the whole loose attitude of hte original "freeriding" movement that attracted me the most of anything. When people started doing stupid crap on their bikes without wearing lycra and having a sub-20 pound bikes. The fact that it kinda took a different turn from the "norm" back then (lycra and sub20pounders), and no one gave a rats behinds and just did what they thought was cool and fun on the bike THEY thought was appropriate for THEM (not for other's opinions) and didn't worry about who can climb the longest hill in the least amount of time and who's thighs had the largest circumference.

Today, I dunno, things have kinda changed but you still find some real cool people every once in a while. Only once in a while though. I myself still ride to let anger out. Beats letting that anger out on the highway that's for sure.

I guess i'm an angry-rider then :) Although i'm usually happy when i ride.

There i tried to be somewhat serious :)

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
kidwoo said:
I'm still holding on to my self imposed classification as the stankiest peerider ever.
I think we need to see some photographic evidence before you can go claiming that title. Otherwise, how are we to know that you're not simply a poorider posing as a peerider?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
binary visions said:
I think we need to see some photographic evidence before you can go claiming that title. Otherwise, how are we to know that you're not simply a poorider posing as a peerider?
As a poorider, I quickly hit the ceiling with current textile restaints. (see pic)

Peeriding on the otherhand is so fresh and new within my repertoire, photographic technology has yet to evolve to the point where it is capable of recording the spectacular aura of my true flowiness.