Quantcast

Please Help a Monkey in Need. Any INFO about Scott @ SL Bikes

Porkybmx

Chimp
Jun 14, 2002
Rancho Palos Verdes, CA
Guys, I don't have many options left, and I've been very patient with this guy. So here's the situation. I sold a Nicolai Helius frame to Scott LaPanne of SLbike.com in Massachusetts I intially sold it to him on 7/27/04 and he sent me the money on that date. I was a little late shipping it. He recieved it on 8/5/04. He emails me telling me there was some hardware missing (shock bolts and a headset race) and also tells me the avalanche shock needs servicing so he wants me to send him another shock. In that same email he gave me his phone number and told me to call him. When I called him he said he wanted his money back because he was unsatisfied with the frame. I said fine, and sent him a money order for the amount he paid for the frame. A few weeks passed and he said he had found a buyer for my frame, but needed me to send the shock and headset race. I said that was fine, but I admit I delayed about 3 week before I sent him a 5th element and the headset race. Once I sent the shock and headset race, which he recieved 10/5/04, he allegedly says he's sent my check to me. He even send me another email on 10/28/04 asking if I've received the check yet. I then call him after that date and he does not answer his phone. I pretty my much call him periodically wondering where he is and when my money is going to arrive. So I decide to email him and he responds with this on 11/9/04:

I've been avoididng you to give myself some time to get your money together. I had a check in your name for quite some time, I ended up re-depositing the funds in my account. I had every intention of sending you money when i said I would, but have run into some problems. i sold a bike to a guy who sent someone to my house to get the package. he had a check for 500 more than I was supposed to get for the bike. I got screwed...I had given the guy 400 dollars and the bike. the bank check was a fake and I was left with no bike and no 400 dollars. a few days later, I received notice that another bike i had sent out was damaged in shipping. the customer insisted that I rebate him the full ammount. I have just done so after 2 weeks. give me another week to come up with your money. this has been a trying time for me . I'll be posting a couple ads in which I will be selling a few of my personal bikes so i can come up with a payment for you. check out the ads, if there's anything in there you might want, let me know. I apologise for the way I have handled this. I figured I'd have paid you before it got to this point, I wasn't to worried with being a little late because you had taken so long with me. I will do everything to make this right as soon as I can.
my apologies,
scott

He no longer answers my phone calls. I gave him another call a few weeks later and finds out he apparently came down with pneumonia. That was nearly 3 weeks ago. It is now 12/16/04 and I have yet to hear from him. I do have his home address and his cell phone number. I need your help guys, he owes me $1540 and I need that money desperatly. If anyone knows him or lives close to his shop, please contact him for me. If anyone has some suggestions on what to do, please respond. Thanks.

Brad23

Monkey
Jan 9, 2004
West Oakland
He sold be an RFX, frame came in good condition, but a bunch of "extras" were kinda screwed, wrong BB, 1/2 CK headset, etc. Also after the Ebay sale ended, I saw the bike on his website for $100 less, he said it was a typo.
It was reasonable in the end though and I am happy.

All I can think of to do is file a small claim, first you might send (certified) an offical letter of this intent, keep all records if case it makes it to court. He is a small buisness owner and things might be tight, but he'll be paying what he feels he has to to survive and you want to make it to that list.

Cheers, Brad

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Yeah what Brad said.

Fill out the form for a small claims action, then send this dude a copy and tell him you will file it if you don't get paid in one week.

Then do it if he doesn't pay you.

dhmtbj

Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Boston
Scott is an interesting character, i sold him a BB7 last spring and overall the transaction went smoothly and I got what I was asking. This was in person however. I've never been a fan of the guy, seems like a decent guy in person but seems to pull some sketchy **** behind people's backs...

redical

Monkey
May 19, 2004
He tried to sell me a Turner Rail out of his shop, SL Bikes, as a NEW floor display model some months ago (he posted it here & in mtbr.com). I almost fell for it except I found a pic of him hucking it off a monstrous boulder onto another boulder. It was even on his shop's website! It was a series of pics that showed him casing the landing. So I called him on it & he finally admitted it was used & even had been dropped once. He dropped the price a couple of hundered bucks but I was turned off by his initial dishonesty. If I was Turner, I would be looking into this dealer. :rolleyes:

I hope you get your cash back. Maybe he really is sick (physically or mentally), but you don't leave people hanging with that kind of cash.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
redical said:
He tried to sell me a Turner Rail out of his shop, SL Bikes, as a NEW floor display model some months ago (he posted it here & in mtbr.com). I almost fell for it except I found a pic of him hucking it off a monstrous boulder onto another boulder. It was even on his shop's website! It was a series of pics that showed him casing the landing. So I called him on it & he finally admitted it was used & even had been dropped once. He dropped the price a couple of hundered bucks but I was turned off by his initial dishonesty. If I was Turner, I would be looking into this dealer. :rolleyes:

I hope you get your cash back. Maybe he really is sick (physically or mentally), but you don't leave people hanging with that kind of cash.

look familiar?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
There are plenty of monkeys in the Boston area, perhaps they can assist you - this sucks and that guy has seem somewhat shady to me through some email contact I had with him as well. I hope things work out for you in the end.

Bullitboyz

Monkey
Mar 12, 2003
CT. USA
that sux.

I bought a fork from Scott and he seemed like a real nice guy.
even rode with him as he showed myself and girlfriend around a riding area.
then he invited us back to his shop to see his setup and stuff.
I've seen him at DH races and skatepark events and he's super friendly.
sorry to hear you're having issues with him. I'm confident he'll make it right.. can't say when though :rolleyes: .
I'd offer you his phone # but it appears you've gone that route.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
That sucks, but you sent him your frame, then sent him a refund check, THEN sent him a 5th Element and a headset race?!

I really hope it all works out for you... Just seems like you put an awful lot of trust in someone you don't know.

J

JRB

I don't believe for one second he got scammed. It sounds to me like he is scamming. I would never do a big money deal on here because of people like him.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
buildyourown said:
Sounds like he got scammed and is having a hard time swallowing it. How can you run a shop and fall for the cashier's check/shipping agent scam?

I was thinking that myself this morning. If hes somewhat net savy then he has to have heard about that scam. Even if he hadnt, it should have sounded fishy. 500 bucks more? c'mon...... even my grandma knows thats a scam.

Porkybmx

Chimp
Jun 14, 2002
Rancho Palos Verdes, CA
binary visions said:
That sucks, but you sent him your frame, then sent him a refund check, THEN sent him a 5th Element and a headset race?!

I really hope it all works out for you... Just seems like you put an awful lot of trust in someone you don't know.

I trusted him partly because he is a bike shop owner...so I was pretty sure he'd be quite credible and all...but I suppose not. So, from what I've read on this thread, his shop is still up and running and he's doing fine. Scott is just choosing to ignore and not pay me?

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Porkybmx said:
i sold a bike to a guy who sent someone to my house to get the package. he had a check for 500 more than I was supposed to get for the bike. I got screwed...I had given the guy 400 dollars and the bike. the bank check was a fake and I was left with no bike and no 400 dollars.
This is a very common. Everyone who puts an ad online for their bike gets this line. Cashier's check, shipping agent, check for more than amount, sketchy english. They send you a bogus check and scam you out of your bike and your cash.
He got taken and therefore doesn't have your money anymore.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
buildyourown said:
He got taken and therefore doesn't have your money anymore.
Taken or not he set up this BS and has an obligation to pay. Sell the shop, the car, the left nut. Whatever it takes, make it right.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Ridemonkey said:
Taken or not he set up this BS and has an obligation to pay. Sell the shop, the car, the left nut. Whatever it takes, make it right.
Oh, know doubt, Scott is completely in the wrong. He admitted in his email that he got taken.

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Ive dealt with this guy before. He isn't trustable. His "shop" is in his garage. Download some of the vids on his website, the entrance is a garage door.

I emailed scott about a year ago looking to ride for his team, it seemed legit and he seemed cool. I gave him a call to talk about sponsorship orders and stuff like that and he was the hardest guy to talk on the phone with. Wouldn't let you finish a sentance, talks way to fast and just wasnt very friendly. I sent him a $300 check to purchase body armor, and a jersey. He claims he never received it, so I cancled the check, sent him another on and he claims he never got that one either. I went to cancel that one and it had already been cashed. Bye bye $300

I also have seen him at the races and other events. He took a couple pics of me goofing around on some rocks at Tenney and gladly showed them to me.

He's just someone I would trust dealing with.

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
Ridemonkey said:
kinda off topic, but who buys left nuts??

Guess?Who

Monkey
Nov 21, 2003
S.I.N.Y
Scott give Porky his money BACK!
This gets me mad because I wanted to buy that frame from Porky but lost the deal to Scott SL . I contacted Scott after hearing that he wasn't happy with the frame but he wanted to sell it for more money then Porky sold it for and without the Avalanche shock, headset and crankset that it came with. I knew the guy was shystee :sneaky: .
Sorry to hear this happened. If I ever see this guy, I'll crack him for you. :nuts:

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Alloy said:
Never trust a man who writes about himself in the 3d person. MikeD sure doesn't.

-MD

PS: Former Marine, I see...good to see he's carriying on the fine tradition of stupid f*cking lance corporals being completely irresponsible with money.

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
Transcend said:
I recognice this guys name for some reason...I think I sold him body armor at some point but I am not sure.
he was the sketchy manager of the shop i worked in a few years back while u were with risse. he tried to buy body armor off of u and said it never showed up. i'm not sure whether it did or not...i dont ride with him and dont know the whole story. anyways ya the guy is definitely sketch.

oh by the way...a marine? he told me he was in the gulf war...do the math, if he was in the gulf war in 1991 and he's 26 now, how old was he...