Quantcast

Plus size bikes

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
ok, so a new, I'll call trend, is this 27.5+ stuff. my basic understanding is that you're able to run wider 27.5 tires, up to 2.8 or so. I've also noticed, at least on one bike, that along with 27.5+ I could also run 29 wheel set too. so as I look at it, this seems to be the best of 2 maybe 3 worlds. 1. you can run a wider tires, not quite fat bike wide but wide enough. 2. I could also run 29 wheels. 3. is it also possible to run just straight 27.5 wheel sets? It appears to me that you could since you can run wider 27.5. It almost seems to be a no brainer. I'm thinking of building up a hard tail and if what I think is true, then getting a + sized frame would be the way to go. Right?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
ok, so a new, I'll call trend, is this 27.5+ stuff. my basic understanding is that you're able to run wider 27.5 tires, up to 2.8 or so. I've also noticed, at least on one bike, that along with 27.5+ I could also run 29 wheel set too. so as I look at it, this seems to be the best of 2 maybe 3 worlds. 1. you can run a wider tires, not quite fat bike wide but wide enough. 2. I could also run 29 wheels. 3. is it also possible to run just straight 27.5 wheel sets? It appears to me that you could since you can run wider 27.5. It almost seems to be a no brainer. I'm thinking of building up a hard tail and if what I think is true, then getting a + sized frame would be the way to go. Right?
If you run straight 27.5 x 2.35" then you're going to have a super duper low bottom bracket. I hope you like pedal strikes: I for one find that I have more than enough pedal strikes as it is.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Worth noting: downhillers stopped running tires that size (2.8" - 3") around 2005/2006 for a reason.

Because they fucking sucked.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
my ibis mojo hd3 came with wide rims and 2.5 single ply DHF tires.

after 3 rides, the rear got promptly swapped for a schwalbe nobby nic for experiment (next in line is a high roller 2).
i find the the drag on 2.5s with a single chainring is obnoxious at best, retarded at worst.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Is there any good riding in Okie?
I'm there right now (with my bike).

Last few rides (like tonight) I've done have been night rides. There were a few people out when the sun was, but when it goes down and gets a little chilly they bolt. I'm the only one night riding.

Basically, no. There are a lot of fat people here. A few trails, if you have a bike there are some places to use it, but far better riding in Arkansas (Slaughter, Womble, etc.)

20 years back when I was stationed here there was a bit of nice chunky tech on Ft Sill in the wichita mtns, but after 9/11 they closed it off to the public and military recreation.

Lots of lakes in OK have trails around or near, but they are all 'meh.

This place could be worse, but not much. Glad to be leaving on Friday.