Quantcast

plyometrics

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Ok, here is where I am.
(way behind, but I am working on it.

I am about 1/2 done getting my areobic base to where I feel comfortable. I am going to start adding PC sprint and LA sprint workouts soon.

I am wondering if adding a few plyometric sessions would be counterproductive?

If not, can someone recomend a simple regime to me that I can build on.

Remember, I'm a DH'er so I'm looking to boost power in 3-10min bursts. Of course a race weekend entails at least two days of this.

Boomer-61

Chimp
Jul 17, 2002
Atlanta, GA
First let me address plyometrics and the potential for aid in DH training. Plyo training is dangerous if you don't have a good foundation in weight lifting or a good trainer. Personally, I would leave them off. DH training is about sprint endurance. Construct your program around those specific needs. I would think about work outs on a trainer or stationary bike. Interval training about three times a week would be best. If you go all out like you should it is very demanding and you need appropriate recovery afterward. There are two books out there I would look hard at by Chris Carmicheal and by both Carmicheal and Lance Armstrong and I'm sorry but I can't remember the names of the book. I believe the Carmicheal book is called something like fitness cycling. You can throw away the first half of the book but the interval routines in the second half are priceless, same with the Armstrong book. I would stay with some weight lifting but as the season nears I would step up saddle time and reduce wt room time. When the season is over get back in the gym and go nuts. Do things like squats, and dead lifts. Think about pulling type movements. Think about the muscle groups you use on while on your bike. Good luck.