Quantcast

popped a spoke, can I still ride?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I popped a spoke during my ride last night. Here's how it happened...

I was on a section of trail that has a moderate downhill, right before you cross over a rocky run-off stream bed, right before a rather short but steep climb out of the stream bed. Basically, I was carring some speed down the hill, hit the stream bed pretty hard, heard the pop, then on the climb out I heard the spoke hitting the chain stay.

The spoke is slightly bent, but it's enough to make the spoke too short to reach the spoke nipple.

Here are a few pics (click on the thumbnail for a bigger image)...

So, is it safe to ride on one less spoke for a while? I don't really have the time nor the motivation to have it fixed right now, but I would like to ride this weekend.

FWIW... I weight about 180lbs. It's a FS bike, a reasonably stong though reasonably cheap WTB wheel.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
One bad spoke always leads to another - this is a 5 minute repair so... rather than risk screwing the whole build get it fixed while it's still an easy job.

Use this as an excuse to buy another wheel set - then you'll aways have a spare.

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by Serial Midget
One bad spoke always leads to another - this is a 5 minute repair so...
Broken spokes are often a sign of less-than-optimum tension on a wheel. Too-low tension allows the the stress cycles of each spoke to vary wildly, there by increasing fatigue on certain spokes with each wheel revolution. Many stress cycles at low tension = increased fatigue = failure.

Take it to a shop to get the new spoke, and have them de-tension and re-tension the wheel when they replace it. That way the wheel can be brought to a balanced tension again.
This should be about $15.

If you ride that wheel as is, I am certain you will break more spokes.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Originally posted by bomberz1qr20
Broken spokes are often a sign of less-than-optimum tension on a wheel. Too-low tension allows the the stress cycles of each spoke to vary wildly, there by increasing fatigue on certain spokes with each wheel revolution. Many stress cycles at low tension = increased fatigue = failure.

Take it to a shop to get the new spoke, and have them de-tension and re-tension the wheel when they replace it. That way the wheel can be brought to a balanced tension again.
This should be about $15.

If you ride that wheel as is, I am certain you will break more spokes.
:stupid:

Don't ride it like that.

MikeOK

Monkey
Nov 29, 2002
twelve
You can ride it like that as long as your wheel is reasonably true and the remaining spokes are evenly tight. I've ridden on 1 broken spoke for months before and I'm at clydesdale weight. Get it fixed though, it's cheap and easy, and you won't be worrying about it that way...

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by MikeOK
You can ride it like that as long as your wheel is reasonably true and the remaining spokes are evenly tight. I've ridden on 1 broken spoke for months before and I'm at clydesdale weight. Get it fixed though, it's cheap and easy, and you won't be worrying about it that way...
Oh yes, you can ride it as long as the rim will pass through the brake pads or frame, but it's gonna toast the wheel over all.

Riding on a wheel that's out of wack tension wise puts undue stress on the spokes around the spot with low tension. You will be shortening the over-all life span of the wheel considerably.

MikeOK

Monkey
Nov 29, 2002
twelve
Ride the bike... Fix it when ya can...

And dude, next time, before you post pics, get some soap and clean up that scuzzy rim!

:)

Looks like my kid's bike

:rolleyes:

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by MikeOK
Ride the bike... Fix it when ya can...

I hear that way too much.

This is why alot of customers scratch their heads when we tell them that riding on a damaged component will mean they totally need to replace it. I have seen people ruin parts that were easily servicable, if they had had it fixed right away.

"But I only rode it like 500 miles after it broke"

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
I have had no trouble with a wheel where the spoke was pulled through the rim from an impact from the side. I just put a new rim on and the spokes have been fine.

If the spoke was on a well built wheel and was broken from an impact with a rock then replace the spoke and all will hopefully be well.