Quantcast

Post your 2012 Rides!

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Just got this put together yesterday. Checks in @ 41# on the bathroom scale. This thing is solid like a Tank. Everything is welded beautifully, tight and straight. Some tolerances seem a bit tight, but this frame is very well thought out. I am not a real smooth rider. This is replacing my 951, which although was great riding bike, it not fit my crappy riding style. Just need to mount the new tires, tune in the suspension, and trim the brake hoses and we will be ready to roll.
View attachment 110171
Did you buy that used off of PB?

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
Did you buy that used off of PB?
Actually it was on here. I bought the frame and the fork. I guess the bike was used for test rides and photo shoots. It is still in almost new condition considering the pics and videos I had seen of it getting used.

The frame is very nice. The welds are not as pretty as the ones on my Intense, but they are close. Not real happy with the carbon bash plate over the shock. It is already cracked and splintered a bit. I think maybe ABS plastic might be a better choice, although a little heavier. I also didn't like the way it attached. You kept having to take it off to adjust the shock. Solved that by taking the screws and zip ties off and using Velcro. the Alfine shifts and works great. I am not much of a peddler. but it is so cool to be able to downshift without peddling to power out of a corner or on any small inclines. It takes a bit of thought to remember you can do it, but should not take to long to get used to it.

Other than that I am very satisfied with the frame. It rides great. It really does plow through the rocks better than anything else I ever owned. I only have a couple hours on it on some short runs. Looking forward to a good long shuttle day and race season.

Last edited:

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
2012 - 2016 AM bike

SB-66 AL frame, XL with RS Monarch RT3
Marzocchi 55 RC3 Ti
Easton Havoc UST wheels w/Hutchinson Barracudas tubeless
Race Face SixC cranks 36/24t 175mm arms
KS 6" post
Formula The ONE brakes
Renthal 780mm x 38mm bars
Renthal 50mm stem
X.9 shifting

32.75 lbs

Weight should drop a wee when I install the tapered uppers this week.

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Posting that bike here should be a crime. As punishment give it away to the needing - me ;) Really awesome.

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
I needed some carbon in my world :)

Budget got crushed in my attempt to build it light.

Came out quite light in the end.

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
Nice!!! Is that an XL? Can you give me some real world geo numbers? BB height and ETT ideally. Thanks!
Yup it is an XL, I'm 6'5".

BB height is 13.4" with 2.3 Hutchinson Barracudas
ETT is about 26"

I'll be bringing the bike with me when I head to Ashland for vacation this year. Can't wait to ride the mountain on my own gear!

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
So far so good, still trying to dial in the air pressure on the right leg. Tomorrow I'm swapping the uppers to the tapered ones. That will be its first oil change which should make a huge difference.
arent those stanchions already tapered?
is that oil getting nasty? is that why you think itll be a big difference?

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
arent those stanchions already tapered?
is that oil getting nasty? is that why you think itll be a big difference?
Sorry I wasn't clear, I meant tapered steer tube. Currently it is 1 1/8" move to a 1.5">1 1/8" uppers.

Marzocchi's feel a lot better after their first oil change. There are normally way more contaminants left over from manufacturing that gets cleaned out after the first oil change.

Last edited:

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Yup it is an XL, I'm 6'5".

BB height is 13.4" with 2.3 Hutchinson Barracudas
ETT is about 26"

I'll be bringing the bike with me when I head to Ashland for vacation this year. Can't wait to ride the mountain on my own gear!
Wow! 26?!? That's long. My XL Trance is 25 on the dot and feels great. I wouldn't want it longer though. I guess I need to find one and give it a spin. On that note, see you when you get here! PM me if you want any local trail knowledge. ;)

BigBoi

Monkey
Oct 31, 2011
Long Island, NY
It's right at 65* now. If I were to do it again I would probably go with the -2* but I think this will make a substantial difference as is.
Besides, I don't race. I just like to go fast.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
I bought this last June and dislocated my shoulder 3 times and had surgery since then, so its still pretty much new. Just starting to ride it again and its still sick!

Racebike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2008
Sweden
glory_jon.jpg

Ready for the season! :D

Giant Glory frame, size Large
Fox 40 Kashima, stiffer compression tune than stock
Fox DHX RC4 Kashima w. DSP ti-spring, stiffer compression tune than stock
Truvativ Descendant cranks/BB w. 36t Renthal SR4 chainring
DT hubs/rims/spokes/nipples
Renthal Fatbar 780mm, 20mm rise
Giant DM-stem 55mm
Avid Code R brakes, HS1 200mm F/HS1 180mm R
X.0 10-sp shifter
X.0 10-sp rear mech, SS
X.0/MRP chainguide f. 36t
SDG I-fly C saddle, I-beam
SDG Micro seatpost, I-beam
Maxxis Minion ST F/R // Conti XC-tubes
Lizard Skins Peaty-grips

Misc:
Resi DU-bushing, rear shock
Offset hardware installed, rear shock
Works Components Angleset (-2deg)
Works Components DM spacer (6mm)
Fox Kashima topcap and some carbon spacers
Rock Guardz carbon guard for the downtube
Ti. hardware installed: Stem/brake calipers/discs/seat post/seat post clamp/upper shock mount
Alu. hardware installed: Chainguide/taco/brake levers/shifter/chain ring/topcap
Cables mounted on top of downtube

WB now 23mm longer than stock (1207mm) and head angle down to about 63 deg.

A very big thank you goes out to my sponsors:

Jaguarverken/Giant Sweden
Biketoyz/Fox Shox Scandinavia
PSE Parts/Fox clothing Scandinavia
Bikeplace Gothenburg

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
Not quite your "2012" ride then, more like " hey here's more people in this thread I can sell my stuff to in 2012" ?

Racebike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2008
Sweden
Uncle Cliffy: No weigh in yet, should be around the 37 lbs/16.8 kg mark. I'll throw it on a scale soon. :)

MrPlow/tabletop84: The air assist 40 is specced on all the 2012 9.9 Treks. The article about that bike on Pinkbike has some more info

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Uncle Cliffy: No weigh in yet, should be around the 37 lbs/16.8 kg mark. I'll throw it on a scale soon. :)

MrPlow/tabletop84: The air assist 40 is specced on all the 2012 9.9 Treks. The article about that bike on Pinkbike has some more info
just like unclecliffy to only hit the skinny b1tches. so shallow.