Quantcast

Post your backyard setup...

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
This could be ramps, Dj's, or pumptracks.

I didn't want to jack the other guys post but I have a feeling that there are people looking for inspiration. I had trails at my parents house which was awesome, and now I have my own place but a rather small yard, actually, its not bad, but nothing like the rents. Anyway, I plan to do a mini but that will have to come after my new kitchen gets done so perhaps a pumptrack for the time being. I can build it, but like I said, its fun to see what others have done and to get additional inspiration.

Thanks!

opjones

Monkey
Aug 17, 2006
Detroit
This is what I have right now. I'm in the process of buying a house, so I'll have some more permanent stuff after the summer. So post up your stuff so i can get some different ideas :biggrin:

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
Still building my Quarter pipe, it won't get done for a while since I'm going away this weekend and have finals the week after.

A little worried its too steep of a radius, any thoughts?:crazy:

grom-dom

Turbo Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Chapel Thrill
damn rhythm to wall looks tight. work a pumptrack going back after the wallride or a pump/jump line? would be tight. nice work.

i'm redoing some stuff/still working on some stuff at my place. new shots eventually. solo digs are slow, and i need a mattock cos my pickaxe is nonexistent and my axe broke today. pics soon.

edit** nvm, you already have a pumptrack thing going. sickkkkk

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
Maybe I missed it, but how tall is it? I love tight quarters, even with big wheels, they just feel better. We built our whole park around tighter radi (?) and it just feels better airing, carving, whatever. To me 6.5 should be fun, and if nothing else it will make you a better rider, right?

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
This indoor pump track is the creation of my friend's Terry Cox and Randy Spangler . I have been invited out to the track a few times and have always had a good session. Terry was kind enough to give permission to post up this pic .
enjoy , we have allot of fun out at this place .

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
Why wouldn't ya? Sweet setup, covered and everything.
Yea pump track in a pole barn is freeking sweet !
We have a starting gate also :biggrin: it get's pretty crazy out there sometimes .

They also have a HUGE backyard track , complete with elevated planke / bridge and table top going under the bridge it's stupid fun , I'll try to get pic's of the backyard next time I'm out there!

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
Maybe I missed it, but how tall is it? I love tight quarters, even with big wheels, they just feel better. We built our whole park around tighter radi (?) and it just feels better airing, carving, whatever. To me 6.5 should be fun, and if nothing else it will make you a better rider, right?
I suppose so, its only 4' tall and no where near vert.

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
I almost took a shovel to my backyard today... I need to find out where buried cables and pipes are and plan accordingly. The one thing that I am worried about is when I need to sell the house how much work will need to go into grading everything flat and how much money will go into seeding or sodding the yard.

Mar 27, 2007
LA, CA
I almost took a shovel to my backyard today... I need to find out where buried cables and pipes are and plan accordingly. The one thing that I am worried about is when I need to sell the house how much work will need to go into grading everything flat and how much money will go into seeding or sodding the yard.
You should bring dirt in. It tends to be easy to find free dirt. Contact a pool company, or look on craigslist. Grass is a waste of space anyways, if you were going to sell your house, landscaping with rocks, high drought tolerant plants is the way to go.

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
As opposed to digging down at all you mean? I was looking at the re-grading aspect when I was done. (Essentially fill in the holes and grade flat. I guess if dirt was brought in I could just work some elevation into the yard?? The wheels are turning.... It isn't a huge yard but I could probably easily fit a start ramp, 2 jumps, berm, 2 more jumps, and some mixed in small hips and rollers, maybe more.

Bushwhacker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
Tar Effing River!! NC
Some from my front yard, side yard and back yard...

Big table...first hit in a 3 hit line..my son Jake is the rider pictured.

Then to a small gap jump.

That led to a nice little stepdown at the corner of the house.
Rider: Wes

jake gettin some barhump

next was the mulch pit kicker

Jake killin it...

Couple of vids of Jake..

This was a continuation of the 3 hit line... a pair of berms to a gap over a berm from another dh line that went through it.

Murphys Law hitting the gap over berm.

My old pumptrack..

Murphys Law...

New pumptrack...

What can I say... I like to build...

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
Update:

I am going to put down the ply wood on the tranny either tonight or tommorrow, any advice on bending it?

I also decided to use PVC for the coping.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Update:

I am going to put down the ply wood on the tranny either tonight or tommorrow, any advice on bending it?

I also decided to use PVC for the coping.
I will add that before you put the ply on, put some scab pieces of 2x4's on the inside face of the transition ply where the ply meets the crosses. There is a lot of torsion and twisting of the ramp as you use it and the Nails or screws that you used to go into the end grain of the 2x4's will pull out with all of that movement. a few pieces of scab wood will pay dividends in the end! Screw the pieces of scab through the tranny ply and then from the cross into the scab.

also use 3/8's or 1/2" ply. and as was said have someone stand on it while you screw it.

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
Soak the wood. We always spray the wood down with some water, let it absorb for a bit, and then screw it in place. It is much less likely to break on you.
Fvck, now you tell me, I already tried putting the plywood on and it cracked a TON, I looked on the underside and burs where sticking out all over the place. you can see how uneven everything is. I guess I am just going to have to pull this peice off and scrap it for another project. I am probly going ot soak the other pieces in my pool for an hour or so. That might help

And to what brungeman said, I am kind of confused, you mean put the extra 2x4 on the sides of the crosses to help support those? They seem pretty solid but I just might do that.

Another BIG problem that i have is that the whole QP lifted up into the air about an inch after I put the first board on, not sure what caused that. ANy ideas?

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
wow soaking ply? I don't think I ever had to do that! I have had luck with using 3/8ths ply on transitions ~ 5' to 6' and I haven't had any problems bending 1/2 inch on transitions over ~ 6'6". I would be worried about the wood delaminating once it gets wet!

ok to explain the other point. Where your 2x4's mount onto the transition is a weak spot on most ramps because the nails and screws won't hold in the endgrain of the 2x's due to the stresses and movement you get from riding the ramp. Cut a piece of 2x4 about 6" long. Lay its face flat against the tranny with the edge against the face of the crossmember. Screw through the tranny into the 2x4 scab and then down through the cross member into the scab. This just insures that with all the stress the cross won't loosen up.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Yea pump track in a pole barn is freeking sweet !
We have a starting gate also :biggrin: it get's pretty crazy out there sometimes .

They also have a HUGE backyard track , complete with elevated planke / bridge and table top going under the bridge it's stupid fun , I'll try to get pic's of the backyard next time I'm out there!
Randy was just talking about that covered pump track last night. nice to see pics of it to get a visual for how sweet it really is!

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
Randy was just talking about that covered pump track last night. nice to see pics of it to get a visual for how sweet it really is!
Randy's good peep's I havent had the oppertunity to ride out there with him yet ,that'll be the session fosho