Quantcast

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
T-Pirate said:
So true. If someone starts saying how horrible it is, the first thing I ask is "Have you tried it?" ..."well....no". "then your points are officially useless."
Missed this post before... And it's just plain stupid. Stupid stupid stupid.

You've gotta be f'ing kidding me. I'll tell you right now that heroin is horrible, and I haven't tried it. It's a horrible, horrible drug. I can tell you that animal abuse is horrible. I can tell you eating dog poo is horrible too. I haven't done either of them.

People can pass judgement without having actually tried something if they have a grounded, well thought out reason for it. You've judged a billion things that you haven't tried.

Stupidest logic ever.

Ciaran... No problem, just curious as to what it was. Stick around, errors are quickly forgotten around here...

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Boone, NC/N. Greenville county, SC
binary visions said:
Missed this post before... And it's just plain stupid. Stupid stupid stupid.

You've gotta be f'ing kidding me. I'll tell you right now that heroin is horrible, and I haven't tried it. It's a horrible, horrible drug. I can tell you that animal abuse is horrible. I can tell you eating dog poo is horrible too. I haven't done either of them.

People can pass judgement without having actually tried something if they have a grounded, well thought out reason for it. You've judged a billion things that you haven't tried.

Stupidest logic ever.

Ciaran... No problem, just curious as to what it was. Stick around, errors are quickly forgotten around here...
I mean on weed man. I have never tried any of that stuff, but I think thats a pretty good point, I know I thought differently of pot before I tried it.

stringcheese

Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Golden, CO
stringcheese said:
After being a multiple-times-a-day-smoker for quite a while, yesterday I decided to come to a sudden and complete stop. I feel smarter already.

Weed is definitely a blessing, and can be used without interfering with your daily routine. That only goes for people who can responsibly use it, though, and that I couldn't do.

hehehe that break didn't last for long. Boy have I had a busy afternoon :dancing:

oh look I still have a nug left

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
T-Pirate said:
I mean on weed man.
I re-read my post and didn't mean to imply you were talking about heroin (which is what I think you got from my post). I know you were talking about weed.

The logic is still absurd, though. Weed is illegal. Smoke is bad for you. It has noticable effects on your body's ability to function normally. It impairs your ability to make correct decisions.

Guess what? That's reason to judge it as stupid. I don't care who you are, what you think, what your experiences are, those are unavoidable facts about weed and they are plenty reason for people to say it's stupid.

The "don't knock it until you try it" argument is for weak people who have no greater logic skills. Don't lump yourself into that category, dude, I've seen you argue better than that.

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
binary visions said:
I re-read my post and didn't mean to imply you were talking about heroin (which is what I think you got from my post). I know you were talking about weed.

The logic is still absurd, though. Weed is illegal. Smoke is bad for you. It has noticable effects on your body's ability to function normally. It impairs your ability to make correct decisions.

Guess what? That's reason to judge it as stupid. I don't care who you are, what you think, what your experiences are, those are unavoidable facts about weed and they are plenty reason for people to say it's stupid.

The "don't knock it until you try it" argument is for weak people who have no greater logic skills. Don't lump yourself into that category, dude, I've seen you argue better than that.

You definately make good points. I know its a played out argument. I will also still say, especially in my experience, I have friends that have bashed it, and given me crap about doing it, then tried it and decided they liked it.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
T-Pirate said:
You definately make good points. I know its a played out argument. I will also still say, especially in my experience, I have friends that have bashed it, and given me crap about doing it, then tried it and decided they liked it.
Of course they like it, man, it's a drug :)

Drugs make you feel good. That's why people do 'em. If drugs weren't easy to like, nobody in their right mind would risk the damaging effects and risk being arrested.

If you did cocaine all the time, and your friends bashed it, and then they all tried it - guess what? They'd like it. Same holds true for most drugs. There are a few that have odd effects (such as LCD) that some people like and some people don't, but by and large, drugs make you feel great and that's why people do 'em.

Which is a big reason why that argument doesn't hold water. The people who say, "weed is stupid" and then go and try it weren't strong enough in their convictions about WHY weed is stupid. They just had this prejudice that they'd never questioned, and when they finally got around to questioning it, they didn't change their mind, they simply realized that they had never really thought weed was stupid.

I had a friend who smoked up and, as often happens, didn't get high her first time. She's got a very open family and she went home and told her dad she had smoked up.

He asked, "Did you like it?"
She said, "No, not really."
He then asked, "Did you get high?"
She said, "No."
He said, "Well that's why you didn't like it." :D

Drugs make prejudiced people feel good. They make bad people and good people feel good. They make honest people and dishonest people feel good. They even make people who hate them feel good. That's a universal truth. The question is, are you strong enough in your convictions about the bad parts to drugs, to not try them at all?

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
binary visions said:
Of course they like it, man, it's a drug :)

Drugs make you feel good. That's why people do 'em. If drugs weren't easy to like, nobody in their right mind would risk the damaging effects and risk being arrested.

If you did cocaine all the time, and your friends bashed it, and then they all tried it - guess what? They'd like it. Same holds true for most drugs. There are a few that have odd effects (such as LCD) that some people like and some people don't, but by and large, drugs make you feel great and that's why people do 'em.

Which is a big reason why that argument doesn't hold water. The people who say, "weed is stupid" and then go and try it weren't strong enough in their convictions about WHY weed is stupid. They just had this prejudice that they'd never questioned, and when they finally got around to questioning it, they didn't change their mind, they simply realized that they had never really thought weed was stupid.

I had a friend who smoked up and, as often happens, didn't get high her first time. She's got a very open family and she went home and told her dad she had smoked up.

He asked, "Did you like it?"
She said, "No, not really."
He then asked, "Did you get high?"
She said, "No."
He said, "Well that's why you didn't like it." :D

Drugs make prejudiced people feel good. They make bad people and good people feel good. They make honest people and dishonest people feel good. They even make people who hate them feel good. That's a universal truth. The question is, are you strong enough in your convictions about the bad parts to drugs, to not try them at all?

I got nothin.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
T-Pirate said:
I got nothin.
Nothin'?!

Come on, argue with me a little. It's what I do to keep sane at work - argue on the internet (I hear it's like winning the Special Olympics...).

;)

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
All I know that if it were not for pot Chemo would have been a bitch. All the scrip drugs the doctors gave me did way more damage than pot. Let's for a second talk about some drugs that are legal that the government is cool with. Vioxx gave 28,000 people in the US heart attacks. The acne drug Acutane has been linked to several suicides and unstable mental teens (including 1 of the Columbine shooters). Alcohol leads to more mental and social issues than anything IMO because you can get it anywhere. Don't even ge me started on cigs or cigars they kill more than anything and we all know how that industry targets the youth of this country. But I'm sorry those are legal. Why I have no idea.

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
Ridemonkey said:
What does this have to do with beer and food? I don't know anything about your missing post conspiracy, but we will moderate this forum any way we see fit.
Ya but I would expect that on this subject. Not Darren from PUSH is a cool guy and his engineerese is understandable.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
dhtahoe said:
All I know that if it were not for pot Chemo would have been a bitch. All the scrip drugs the doctors gave me did way more damage than pot. Let's for a second talk about some drugs that are legal that the government is cool with. Vioxx gave 28,000 people in the US heart attacks. The acne drug Acutane has been linked to several suicides and unstable mental teens (including 1 of the Columbine shooters). Alcohol leads to more mental and social issues than anything IMO because you can get it anywhere. Don't even ge me started on cigs or cigars they kill more than anything and we all know how that industry targets the youth of this country. But I'm sorry those are legal. Why I have no idea.
Thats the point here, they are legal. Pot is basicly illegal, bottom line. The reason I made that comment last year was for the yonger kids on this site. They are going to do what they wanna do, but I don't want to encourage a kids choice to try it from what they've read here.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
T-Pirate said:
When you aren't busy correcting people.
:nope: :D
Usually only loco-gringo, and only 'cause he painted a huge target on his back ;)

Ridemonkey said:
What does this have to do with beer and food?
Not that you wouldn't be entirely justified in deleting this thread (given the direction it turned to), but if you take a gander at the first post, it was, in fact, asking what recipes people might have for cooking with it.

Plus, I would consider beer & pot to go hand-in-hand. Not that people who drink beer also smoke weed, but both have a fairly benign and enjoyable intoxicating effect when used in low doses.

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
binary visions said:
The question is, are you strong enough in your convictions about the bad parts to drugs, to not try them at all?

it sounds like you're trying to get people to stop smoking pot, so i'll toss this at you. i'm strong enough in my convictions about the good parts of this fairly benign drug (you've acknowledged it as such) to keep using it.

i feel that you (not you specifically, Binary, but folks in general) shouldn't knock other people's use of a drug until you've tried it and decided for yourself. until then, keep your preaching to yourself. i say this because i recently had an great experience with a drug i'd always frowned at others for using. i still think it's really stupid and don't plan on doing it again, but it was a ton of fun and now i know why people use it and i no longer criticize them for it. their body, their choice.

why do non smokers always feel the need to convert smokers, and smokers feel the need to convert non smokers? live and let live, man...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
squarewheels said:
it sounds like you're trying to get people to stop smoking pot
Nothing could be further from the truth. I follow the same philosophy as you: live and let live. If you want to smoke, fine. If you want to do hard drugs, fine. No problems here. Did you read my statement above about being a smoker myself? Would be pretty hypocritical of me to try and tell people not to do it.

My statement was in specific reference to those who have convictions against doing drugs.

i feel that you (not you specifically, Binary, but folks in general) shouldn't knock other people's use of a drug until you've tried it and decided for yourself. until then, keep your preaching to yourself. i say this because i recently had an great experience with a drug i'd always frowned at others for using.
See my arguments above. This is still a rediculous argument.

"Drugs are bad, mmkay?"

No matter what you may think of live and let live, drugs are BAD. They are destructive to your body and cause you to lose the ability to function properly and make good decisions. That's just a plain ol' fact. Weed & alcohol included.

The simple fact that you tried the drug says to me that your convictions about why it was stupid were either not valid or not strong enough.

Use whatever drugs you want to - it's your body, do what ya' like with it. But you are doing something illegal and something that's destructive to your physical and mental well-being - don't sit there and tell anyone that they can't judge it until they've tried it.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Brian HCM#1 said:
Drugs = Losers, sorry peeps had to say it. Obviously if you need drugs or have the desire to try drugs you have a problem.
:thumb: Freakin loser potheads. I mean anybody who smokes weed is a loser plain and simple. I mean they can't keep a job, they support terrorists, and they have those red bloodshot eyes. I mean don't all people who smoke pot live on the streets and smoke to rebel against the man?

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Brian HCM#1 said:
Drugs = Losers, sorry peeps had to say it. Obviously if you need drugs or have the desire to try drugs you have a problem.
So along those lines anyone who enjoys a feeling of being intoxicated is a loser. It's a good thing I stopped drinking..............oh I didn't. Shyt, now I'm a drunk loser of a pothead, who will have any respect for me now?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Brian HCM#1 said:
Oh, I see.

Nice closeminded way of thinking, Brian. Alcohol = losers, too. I mean, look at all the stupid burnouts who spend their whole lives in a drunken haze. Look at all the people who kill other people by driving while drunk. Look at all the idiots who beat their significant others while drunk.

I'm going to show a lot of restraint there, and not tell you what I actually think of that post. And that's only because I'd prefer that this thread not get deleted, since it contains some interesting discussion.

I don't think you have any idea of the number of people you talk to/interact with who have done/do drugs of some kind - whether it's weed or something harder. I'm not supporting drug use, but only a fool thinks that out of all the good, hardworking, intelligent, nice people they know, not a one of them uses some kind of drug. I know many people who hold down good jobs, are smart and honest and hardworking, who you'd think by talking to them are on the straight-and-narrow. Yet they enjoy a joint when they get home on a Friday night, or a little blow at a party twice a year. That doesn't make drugs good, but it also doesn't make them "losers".

Anyhow. I'm not going to bother posting any other responses to your comments on this subject, since your mind is obviously made up on this subject, and it won't be an intelligent discussion, just closed statements without reasoning like the one you made.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Why is it closed minded? I used to party, I admit it. I had friends doing the hardest drugs available at the time in the mid 80's (coke, crank, speed, acid, heroin etc). Basically the point I was trying to make is if you need drugs to have a good time, relax, take the edge off a bad day, you have problems. I'd rather be high on life, and in control of my body. To be one of the biggest highs I can get is spending a fun day with my wife & kids or riding my bike. I'm sure many people I talk to on a daily basis may do some form of drug, oh well and that's my opinion take it or leave it. I don't need drugs in my life to help make it better or temporarly cover something, but then again thats me.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Brian HCM#1 said:
Why is it closed minded?
How is it not closed-minded? You may choose not to do them, but that doesn't make anyone who does a "loser". Have whatever feelings you want about drugs themselves but don't lump everyone into a category of "you and people like you" (i.e. non-drug users), and "everyone else" (anyone who touches a drug).

The rest of your post is fine and dandy, but has absolutely zero bearing on your first post, which was a derogatory comment on anyone who uses something you don't approve of. With no regards to why, what, or how often, I might add - not everyone does it because they need to in order to feel good, or does hard drugs, or does them a lot.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i like bill hicks' take on drugs:

See I think drugs have done some good things for us. If you don't think drugs have done good things for us then do me a favor. Go home tonight and take all of your records,tapes and all your CD's and burn them. Because, you know all those musicians who made all that great music that's enhanced your lives throughout the years? Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreal f&cking high on drugs, man.

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
mack said:
OK, i no nothing about weed. I have been smoking for around 3 months, maybe around 10 times. I like it, but i have NO IDEA ABOUT ANYTHING. How do you tell if weed is good? I just buy from the same guy, he could be riping me for all i know.

What are the main strains of weed you buy? what are the good ones i should ask for.

How do you use a magnifying glass to smoke? I just use a pipe. Please help a noob.
Ok take ONE hit... are you friggen ripped... no... it's crud find another guy... yes... make him your new best friend.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Ahh, having a little trouble thinking for ourselves, are we guys? 'cause Brian's couple of posts were so eloquently stated and well-worded ( :rolleyes: ), there is simply nothing more to say, besides "I agree", and then "I agree with the guy who agreed"?

Nothing wrong with your point of view (wait, do you actually have a point of view? Or are you just picking a side and agreeing?) but sheesh, you really have so little to say for yourselves, yet felt so compelled to stick your head in this thread and make a post?

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Well sorry I don't have the best vocabulary in the world, and I've never been know to be the most eloquent speaker either, oh well such is life. I still have a few years on you and maybe when you do get a little older or see more of the repercussions on drug use you'll change your mind. I went to too many funerals of friends who had to push their drug use a little further to get that better high, I don't need to see more people go that way. However I got to remember, when I was your age I thought I knew everything too.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Brian HCM#1 said:
Well sorry I don't have the best vocabulary in the world, and I've never been know to be the most eloquent speaker either, oh well such is life. I still have a few years on you and maybe when you do get a little older or see more of the repercussions on drug use you'll change your mind. I went to too many funerals of friends who had to push their drug use a little further to get that better high, I don't need to see more people go that way. However I got to remember, when I was your age I thought I knew everything too.
Oh, come on, don't pull the old, "I'm older than you and know better" card. I sure as hell don't know everything, I just have strong feelings on certain things, and I enjoy arguing. That doesn't make me right (and I certainly am under no impression that I am always right), it just means I'm stubborn and like a good discussion.

And sorry, it wasn't a dig on your vocabulary or eloquence of your speaking at all (I try not to make arguments personal like that, unless someone has a particularly apalling grasp of language or is clearly not trying). I simply meant that you didn't exactly launch into a detailed explanation of your stance or back it up with much. "Drugs = Losers" isn't the greatest of discourses that's ever been offered on this subject.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
narlus said:
hey - take it to the political forum.

and let me know if you try out my pot roast recipe :D
Shouldn't you be busy making CDs instead of cooking?!

The pot roast sounds delicious.. very similar to the way I make mine...

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Brian HCM#1 said:
And here we have it- the need to boil down complex social questions into elementary school math formulas or parrotable jingles for the simpleminded.

Drugs = Losers...just say no...this is drugs & this is your brain on drugs...

It certainly makes me question whose capacity for rational thought and debate has been limited, though presumably from birth rather than exposure to illicit substances. Why bother filling your pretty little head with original thoughts or scientific observations when all you have to do is echo the distilled agenda of your societal masters. :rolleyes:

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Brian HCM#1 said:
I'd rather be high on life, and in control of my body. temporarly cover something
Ahhhh...I missed another anti-drug cliche in my previous post. Thanks for illustrating my point with bumbling proficiency.

BTW, "temporarily" is spelled correctly above for you, courtesy of another dumb pothead. Please do take note of it for the future lest anyone mistakenly take you for a cannabis user. :D

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Brian HCM#1 said:
and maybe when you do get a little older or see more of the repercussions on drug use you'll change your mind.
While I agree age does have some correlation to knowledge(more because of life experiences) you have proven that is not the case with yourself. By simply stating this like drugs=losers you shut the door on being viewed as mature. It's obvious no argument will ever change your views on pot so I won't try. All i ask is that before you lump pot in with all drugs do a little research. I have and after all the case studies on social aspects and/or the physical aspects I couldn't justify the current classification by our Gov.(schedule I: same as heroin,meth and LSD).

Brian HCM#1 said:
However I got to remember, when I was your age I thought I knew everything too.
Why talk down to people like this? I mean listen to yourself, you sound like pompus windbag. "when I was your age I thought I knew everything too", come on. How do you know what i have experienced in my life? Or what I've studied and researched? Age means nothing if you're not educated on a subject. This is one subject that i would love to debate with you since I've taken courses on substance abuse and know a little something about the social, mental and physical effects of abuse.

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Everyone knows the act of smoking is bad for you. Everyone knows no matter how good you are high, you aren't able to complete tasks in the same manner as when in a normal state of mind. Many people can concentrate well or get work done, but put it this way, most people smoke pot for fun, and its just that. Nobody starts smoking thinking its a good thing to be doing, but how does enjoying the sensation provided make one a loser? Why do you care if someone likes to spark a bowl in their spare time? I see nothing wrong with it if they are causing no harm. Anyone can do whatever drug they please as far as I'm concerned. If they aren't harming anyone thats fine with me. With kids and a career, I can definately see why you choose to take a defensive stance against drugs, but I don't think you are in any position to judge those who have different beliefs on the subject. Yes, I am young, but I know I don't know everything. Its a recreational activity that I enjoy, legal or otherwise.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
The real question is, Which is worse for you, Smokin a bowl, or blastin down the side of a mountain at full speed on a bike? I've never seen anyone get broken ribs from smoking........

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
T-Pirate said:
Everyone knows the act of smoking is bad for you. Everyone knows no matter how good you are high, you aren't able to complete tasks in the same manner as when in a normal state of mind. Many people can concentrate well or get work done, but put it this way, most people smoke pot for fun, and its just that. Nobody starts smoking thinking its a good thing to be doing, but how does enjoying the sensation provided make one a loser? Why do you care if someone likes to spark a bowl in their spare time? I see nothing wrong with it if they are causing no harm. Anyone can do whatever drug they please as far as I'm concerned. If they aren't harming anyone thats fine with me. With kids and a career, I can definately see why you choose to take a defensive stance against drugs, but I don't think you are in any position to judge those who have different beliefs on the subject. Yes, I am young, but I know I don't know everything. Its a recreational activity that I enjoy, legal or otherwise.
Hey, I'm entitled to my opinion whether its right or wrong, just as all of you are. You see nothing wrong with sparking up a bowl and that's fine for you. I don't condone it but that's me, do whatever you guys want as it has no bearing on me unless we're driving on the same roads.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Brian HCM#1 said:
Hey, I'm entitled to my opinion whether its right or wrong, just as all of you are. You see nothing wrong with sparking up a bowl and that's fine for you. I don't condone it but that's me, do whatever you guys want as it has no bearing on me unless we're driving on the same roads.
I agree no bearing on you. If you really feel this way why come in here and state that drugs=losers? I agree if you smoke crack your a loser, but my smoking a bowl in the privacy of my own home makes me no more of a loser than you opening a beer after a long day of work.