Quantcast

Powertap: Pro or SL?

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
So I've managed to destroy my rear Bontrager Race Lite wheel(cracked 10 of 12 driveside spoke eyelets after 8000 miles), and am in the need for a new wheel. After some contemplation, I've decided to bite the bullet and get a wheel with a Powertap hub.

Now the question....do I get the Pro of the SL? They have the same features and all that jazz, and it's a $140 difference. This wheel will only used for training(maybe an occasional early season crit), so weight is not a concern; but talking to a buddy of mine who is presently on a Pro is having problems with the hub staying tight and mtbr reviews are not so good. He says, however, the problems have been fixed for the SL, which is the only reason I'm considering it.

Roadie monkies, what's your call?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I had a discussion about this with my coach, and he said when are you going to use a powertap during a race? Why pay the extra cost to save some grams...

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
i've been using a ptap for the last 2 years or so. i got the pro model when it was the "upgrade" over the standard black hub.
the biggest difference between the sl and the pro is the sl's guts are much nicer. the cones hold together a little better as well as the freewheels and bearings. the pro uses what more or less is 105 level freewheel and cones. it comes loose from time to time. and honestly, i hate nuts and cones so adjusting it for me makes me grit my teeth.
to me it's worth the extra 140 bucks. the hubs have about 140 gram difference between to two. to lose a bit of weight and get a nicer freewheel and bearings is worth it.

ps use it during your races. the info from races is nice. don't really look at it during the race and try to pace yourself off it, just use it as a timer.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
sanjuro said:
I had a discussion about this with my coach, and he said when are you going to use a powertap during a race? Why pay the extra cost to save some grams...
I think your coach probally doesn't get it then....

You don't neccessairly use it DURING the race, you analyze the data post-hoc, wherein you can pull out all sorts of important nuggets. Of course there are plenty of uses for power information during a race as well...