Quantcast

PRAISE JESUS!!!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
What's the current wisdom on "what if my evil frame breaks?"

If I'd bought an undead or uprising last year and have a problem with it right now........how exactly does that work?

I respect KW because his initials tell me he's a good person. But he kind of runs out of frames with doing small batches it seems.....

Those things look pretty sweet though.

Lelandjt: what no likey?

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Should this be moved to the religious psychosis thread in the PAWN forum?

Buying one of these seems like it would require a more-than-sensible leap of faith.

Good lookin', though. I'll give you that.

Strikes me as the sort of thing that would be awesome for people with solid bro-connections so that they:
a) actually receive the product
b) get covered by this: http://evil-bikes.com/warranty/ as advertised

A buddy of mine is considering one of these. He does not have bro-connections. I have done all I can in terms of mocking him preemptively for being without a bike for one reason or another. The rest is up to fate.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Rode it, liked it, wasn't blown away though.
Why? The Following is very poppy and nimble as hell. It's angles are decent I just wish it had a bit more pogression in the rear. It tracks well and its pedaling platform is much better than say a FSR which tend to bob like a drunken sailor.

jimw

Monkey
Aug 10, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
I demoed a Following a few months back. The first half of the ride I loved it, but then... I dunno, it wasn't doing it for me. I really started to notice the short travel limitations, or more like I felt the bike was going through all its travel when it shouldn't be. I preferred the feel of my bobbing-like-a-drunken-sailor FSR :) on the downhill, which matters a lot more to me than the up. There were other random weird things, like lots of creaks from either the BB or the linkage cage, and the rear axle kept loosening (?). Liked the geometry though, especially for a 29er. I'd definitely be up for giving it another shot, especially if I had more time to set it up or tried one from someone with similar riding style... like this guy who I just happened to ride with a few days ago, sporting his Insurgent:
http://forums.mtbr.com/evil-bikes/evil-insurgent-booyah-988996.html

He also loved his Following:
http://forums.mtbr.com/evil-bikes/evil-bikes-following-%96-user-review-946184-19.html#post12015957

I dunno, the Insurgent looks like a cool bike and talking to him it sounds awesome. One concern I have is that the chain is REALLY close to the chainstay when in the smaller cogs, as you would be when going downhill. Would be interesting to try one out though. The geo numbers are very close to my current ride.

As far as the warranty issues, I'm just speculating, but it seems like for the most part they have gotten past the serious problems of the past. But there are still some horror stories popping up from time to time:
http://forums.mtbr.com/evil-bikes/delta-vs-vpp-982871-post12105730.html#post12105730

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
A buddy of mine is considering one of these. He does not have bro-connections. I have done all I can in terms of mocking him preemptively for being without a bike for one reason or another. The rest is up to fate.
Who dat? I'd hate to think I was missing out on a solid mocking opportunity...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
i have some creaks on my following but I figured that was because of my shitty seatpost or one of the 9 million linkage bolts. I figure you run the risk of those creaks on any bike with 9 million bolts.

jimw

Monkey
Aug 10, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
I will say the guy I mentioned above with the Insurgent didn't have any creaks, and said he didn't on the Following he had previously. He keeps his sh1t pretty dialed though, and I was riding a demo bike.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Looks cool. I want to see leverage curves though. The Uprising flattened out way too much in the second half of the travel (and in fact got slightly regressive).

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Looks cool. I want to see leverage curves though. The Uprising flattened out way too much in the second half of the travel (and in fact got slightly regressive).
I am going to 4 air can spacers on the Monarch next. 2 wasn't really noticeable it still went through travel although it was never obvious when on the bike just after and looking at the shock would I find the o-ring all the way to the end...

How many spacers did you run?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I never owned one. I rode a friend's for a minute but don't know how it was set up.

Just looking at published curves is enough to tell me it wasn't progressive enough for me though. I've owned and ridden enough stuff to know what I like.

Now get off my lawn.

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
I never owned one. I rode a friend's for a minute but don't know how it was set up.

Just looking at published curves is enough to tell me it wasn't progressive enough for me though. I've owned and ridden enough stuff to know what I like.

Now get off my lawn.
its the first thing i noticed about the rear end of the following. I need to add a few spacers. Back to your regularly scheduled 27.5 bike chat now.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
its the first thing i noticed about the rear end of the following. I need to add a few spacers. Back to your regularly scheduled 27.5 bike chat now.
I've got the volume spacers maxed out on my Megatrail (CCDBa CS) and it's pretty much linearly progressive through the travel. I think that might not be enough to make me happy with an Evil.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
i have some creaks on my following .
already?? i really like these bikes (on paper). hoping the qc issues are sorted this go around.

buddy is in line to pick up an insurgent. he's a bro, so not too wrought with trepidation. i am looking forward to trying it, for sure.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
yeah, but I mean I'm running my xfusion seatpost backwards and my saddle creaks in it even if it were forward. I need to correct that before I can qualify a whinge about creaks from the frame. I love my following, I think it's awesome and I was a big evil critic. I've had awesome customer service from them so far.

I haven't experimented with bands yet, but a few to limit blowing through travel wouldn't be bad. it's very supple off the top.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Apparently Strobel was riding the 29" evil with a custom 40 at the NW cup finals. Not sure how they fit a 29" wheel in to a 40 except for some creative dremel work?

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Apparently Strobel was riding the 29" evil with a custom 40 at the NW cup finals. Not sure how they fit a 29" wheel in to a 40 except for some creative dremel work?
apparently a custom 40. appears to have decent clearance (unlike the one bcd hacked to fit):

may take a bit, but i have no doubt we'll see more 29'er dh sleds in the future - for the big blokes, anyways.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Did fox make a bunch of lowers for Intense back when they were in their 2951 phase?

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
apparently a custom 40. appears to have decent clearance (unlike the one bcd hacked to fit):

may take a bit, but i have no doubt we'll see more 29'er dh sleds in the future - for the big blokes, anyways.
I'd guess they used the 27.5 lowers whereas BCD had to use the 26 lowers.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Lelandjt: what no likey?
I liked it fine and I didn't get a proper enough ride to have anything real to say. Perhaps with a real test ride I'd feel the poppyness that makes one take the lord's name in vain. We'll say it got me from 6 to 9 but not the sort of instabone that the OP must have felt to inspire this thread.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I'm not sure the Jeebus would endorse a company with as shitty of a support history as Evil. It seems like you stand a WAY higher chance of being out of a bike either by way of frame failure problems or hardware problems and lack of support than if you were to buy something generic.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I think it's the way the rails are pinched together with the circular clamping mechanism. the one other seatpost that clamped the same way that I've used did the same thing. plenty of creaks.