Quantcast

"Pray for Obama: Psalm 109:8."

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
§ 871. Threats against President and successors to the Presidency

(a) Whoever knowingly and willfully deposits for conveyance in the mail or for a delivery from any post office or by any letter carrier any letter, paper, writing, print, missive, or document containing any threat to take the life of, to kidnap, or to inflict bodily harm upon the President of the United States, the President-elect, the Vice President or other officer next in the order of succession to the office of President of the United States, or the Vice President-elect, or knowingly and willfully otherwise makes any such threat against the President, President-elect, Vice President or other officer next in the order of succession to the office of President, or Vice President-elect, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.
I think it is time to modify the law....

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Might have a hard legal charge that any threats are being directly made, despite the intentions.

Also wonder if half this forum would be this up in arms if this had/was happening to W?

just sayin...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Might have a hard legal charge that any threats are being directly made, despite the intentions.

Also wonder if half this forum would be this up in arms if this had/was happening to W?

just sayin...
I openly demanded that Dubya be impeached and/or arrested for war crimes. Both would be legal recourses to dealing with the worst President in the last 80 years.

Also, my fellow card-carrying liberals are anti-war, non-violent, pot-smoking hippies and/or homos.

The right wing are militant, 2nd Amendmenters who encourage each other to commit acts of murder, like against Dr George Tiller.

See the difference?

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
I openly demanded that Dubya be impeached and/or arrested for war crimes. Both would be legal recourses to dealing with the worst President in the last 80 years.

Also, my fellow card-carrying liberals are anti-war, non-violent, pot-smoking hippies and/or homos.

The right wing are militant, 2nd Amendmenters who encourage each other to commit acts of murder, like against Dr George Tiller.

See the difference?
Easy, easy. Read my post. Find the "legal" threat in a bumper sticker that says Pray for Obama and quotes a Bible passage? Sure, I understand the intention and am not agreeing with it. But there is no more of a threat in that bumper sticker than your diatribes against Bush.

It's always a joy to witness the view of the world through the eyes of a hard core left winger, helps to balance out the drivel from the extreme right. Reminds me of a what a debate between Cheech and Chong and Sarah and Beck would be like.

Also, don't these people have the right to practice free speech? Putting a bumper sticker on your car or wearing a Tshirt pretty much falls into the right, measured against the cases brought forth by the ACLU in the past.

The psalm reads, “Let his days be few; and let another take his office.”

Presidential criticism through witty slogans is nothing new. Bumper stickers, t-shirts, and hats with “1/20/09” commemorated President Bush’s last day in office.
Hypocrite much??

Straya

Monkey
Jul 11, 2008
Straya
The psalm reads, “Let his days be few; and let another take his office.” Presidential criticism through witty slogans is nothing new. Bumper stickers, t-shirts, and hats with “1/20/09” commemorated President Bush’s last day in office.

Yeah don't gloss over the second part of that Psalm that reads "Let his children be fatherless, and his wife a widow"

There is a little bit of a difference between celebrating the last day at work of someone you don't like and wishing someone was dead.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Yeah don't gloss over the second part of that Psalm that reads "Let his children be fatherless, and his wife a widow"

There is a little bit of a difference between celebrating the last day at work of someone you don't like and wishing someone was dead.
:stupid:

I consider myself fairly conservative and I've read through the Bible well into the double digits. There's no mistaking, IMHO, the intent of using that verse. They want Obama dead not simply out of "office."

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
:stupid:

I consider myself fairly conservative and I've read through the Bible well into the double digits. There's no mistaking, IMHO, the intent of using that verse. They want Obama dead not simply out of "office."
No doubt, but as to Straya's comment referring to the following verse, I suggest reading the entire Psalm to get the full understanding. All of it refers to someone wishing divine retribution to that person's accusers of being heretical in following God.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
No doubt, but as to Straya's comment referring to the following verse, I suggest reading the entire Psalm to get the full understanding. All of it refers to someone wishing divine retribution to that person's accusers of being heretical in following God.
Um, the fact that they take it out of context doesn't change the intent of the message.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Wolf Interstate Leasing in Wheat Ridge, Colorado has put up a billboard insinuating that President Obama is somehow tied to Jihadists and the Fort Hood shootings. The billboard features cartoons that show a caricatured President morphing from a suit-wearing politician into a turban-wearing jihadist. The words, "Remember Ft. Hood" appear at the bottom.

The manager of the store defended the billboard on David Sirota's morning show on AM 760 this morning by claiming that the words "We are a christian nation" appear in the constitution.

The store owner also provided space for recent billboards that read "Where's The Birth Certificate?" in reference to conspiracy theories that Obama is not U.S. citizen.
Linky with pic of said billboard.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Great interview with Frank Schaeffer - very enlightening. I grew up in this type of environment as well.

That bumper sticker is as nuts as any Islamic fundamentalist beheading/stoning, etc that you see in the news every week. Scary stuff.

dicey

Chimp
Easy, easy. Read my post. Find the "legal" threat in a bumper sticker that says Pray for Obama and quotes a Bible passage? Sure, I understand the intention and am not agreeing with it. But there is no more of a threat in that bumper sticker than your diatribes against Bush.

It's always a joy to witness the view of the world through the eyes of a hard core left winger, helps to balance out the drivel from the extreme right. Reminds me of a what a debate between Cheech and Chong and Sarah and Beck would be like.

Also, don't these people have the right to practice free speech? Putting a bumper sticker on your car or wearing a Tshirt pretty much falls into the right, measured against the cases brought forth by the ACLU in the past.

Hypocrite much??
:eek:Free speech has never allowed or legalized the opportunity to commit or inflame a person to commit treason. Calling for the murder of a U.S President is treason! .... besides isn't the whole jesus fairly tell based around the idea he died for our sins(murder,etc), and loving our enemy(forgiveness and tolerance)??:think:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
:eek:Free speech has never allowed or legalized the opportunity to commit or inflame a person to commit treason. Calling for the murder of a U.S President is treason! .... besides isn't the whole jesus fairly tell based around the idea he died for our sins(murder,etc), and loving our enemy(forgiveness and tolerance)??:think:
Saying you wish someone was dead and saying you are going to kill them are 2 different things.

Read the bumper sticker. Nowhere is there a legal threat. Its close, and its in poor taste, but it is not legally treason.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
:eek:Free speech has never allowed or legalized the opportunity to commit or inflame a person to commit treason.
Read the Constitution. The First amendment doesn't "legalize" anything. It simply gives the people the right to practice free speech. The bumper sticker itself only quotes a bible passage and says pray for Obama.

Calling for the murder of a U.S President is treason!
Really? Are you sure about that?
Section 3.

Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.
Also, where exactly did anyone call for the murder of the President? It's not a crime to wish someone would go away or bad things would happen to them.

.... besides isn't the whole jesus fairly tell based around the idea he died for our sins(murder,etc), and loving our enemy(forgiveness and tolerance)??:think:
Not even sure why you chose to throw this in unless you're trying really hard to earn some "cred" with your misspelled "fairly tell" meaning, I assume "fairy tale".

Understand this...the intentions and meaning behind all this stuff is pretty clear and I personally think it's ridiculous. You don't like the President? Fine, take a lesson from President Obama and form a grass roots campaign, earn the will of the electorate and defeat the sitting Congress/President. That's how it;s supposed to work. However, the rights afforded by the Constitution apply to scholar and idiot alike, as long as they are citizens of this country. (Unless you ask Renegade Rick)

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
The first amendment doesn't grant anything.

It affirms that the government will not interfere with a particular natural right of man.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
All this tells me is that God is a lazy asshole who won't do his own dirty work. Your all powerful God needs Cletus the hick to take a shot at the President? Your religion sucks, my friend.

Make no mistake, this is an incitement to the retards who it's directed towards. Schaeffer is correct.