Quantcast

Prep M grease?

noname

Monkey
Feb 19, 2006
outer limits
have you ever tried Englund's "Slick Honey"? From what I understand of the requirement to use Prep M, it is primarily due to the low overall viscosity of the grease. You need a grease with a low viscosity so it can work it's way throughout the fork rather than just clump together like a heavier grease would. think about automotive wheel bearing grease and you'll understand what I mean. I always use slick Honey but haven't had to buy any in so long I don't even know if it's available any more, guess I'll find out when my tub finally empties here soon.

FastTimes

Monkey
Jul 2, 2002
Toronto
I would also like to know what guys are using for inner fork and seal grease. M prep is just too loose IMO, doesn't really stay on anything or stat in place at all. It must turn into oil in a couple of strokes of the fork. What can be used that will coat better, for coating springs rods and such.

Thanks,

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I said screw it and used a waterproof marine grease I picked up at Pepboys. I use it to pretty much every thing else on my bike and have had good luck with it so far. It's pretty thick and definitely stays where you put it. It's also supposed to help resist corrosion as well.

I packed the area between the seals and the foam rings on my flick with it and lubed the threads and o-rings with it. I'm still waiting for my order of Amsoil 5 wt damping oil (nobody here carries 5 wt oil!) to come in so I haven't tested it yet. I should also do a test and see how well a glob of it holds up submerged in some of the semi bath oil.

Hopefully it's compatible with the seals and rings. Oh well, it's too late now.

http://www.docs.citgo.com/msds_pi/465486.pdf