Quantcast

Privee Shan Nº5

mrgto

Monkey
Aug 4, 2009
I like it except I don't understand why the front shock mount is bolted on. It just seems unnecessary.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I like it except I don't understand why the front shock mount is bolted on. It just seems unnecessary.
iirc it was mentioned to be a carry-over from prototyping... seems a little lazy imo.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Nice looking rig, like the idea of steel...That shock mount is lazy and weird. Unfortunately this thing is waaaay too heavy in this day and age for me to ever consider, esp in the trail bike space.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Frame weight differences between my last few trail frames has been ~1.5lbs. Personally I couldn't tell any difference in weight when riding them, but then again I haven't been in xc racing shape for years now.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
The folks who are riding 29lbs bikes saying a 31lb bike is too heavy are not the target audience in any way. It's not for you. Nothing to see here. Move along. Carbon bikes, rims, handlebars are over there >>> [EXIT]

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Frame weight differences between my last few trail frames has been ~1.5lbs. Personally I couldn't tell any difference in weight when riding them, but then again I haven't been in xc racing shape for years now.
Amazing how the body adapts!

Then we have 200lb guys talking about 2lbs of frame weight...

Let's just say... it's not the bike!

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Then we have 200lb guys talking about 2lbs of frame weight...

Let's just say... it's not the bike!
Hey! I resemble that comment! :brow:

but in all honesty, why push around more weight than is needed?

Sure, it's a purdy bike, but there's a few ticks against it... availability in N.A. being one. Price. The shock thing. Boost. (Boost bottom bracket!? wtf - kill list!). half an ISCG bolt pattern. and then finally there's the weight.

also, I found this: https://dirtmountainbike.com/bike-reviews/first-look-production-privee-shan-no-5-bahama-yellow-special-edition.html

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The folks who are riding 29lbs bikes saying a 31lb bike is too heavy are not the target audience in any way. It's not for you. Nothing to see here. Move along. Carbon bikes, rims, handlebars are over there >>> [EXIT]
It's the guys who bought the Banshee Screams and Knolly Vtachs. Those are who we are looking for.

My pivot has BB92. It is dumb for any not-shimano cranks.

dcamp29

Monkey
Feb 14, 2004
Colorado
My trail bike weighs 33 lbs and is mostly carbon + heavy ass tires. gaining another 3 lbs would be stupid.

If this thing was cheap it would be OK, but expensive and heavy and you're going to break shocks with a flexy single pivot and yoke setup.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
My trail bike weighs 33 lbs and is mostly carbon + heavy ass tires. gaining another 3 lbs would be stupid.
I think most people would say that riding a carbon trail bike that weighs 33lbs is the stupid part.

As you've pointed out - this bike is not for you.

mrgto

Monkey
Aug 4, 2009
I think most people would say that riding a carbon trail bike that weighs 33lbs is the stupid part.

As you've pointed out - this bike is not for you.
Some people like carbon for its stiffness and vibration damping abilities not necessarily for weight savings.

mrgto

Monkey
Aug 4, 2009
IMG_4696.JPG
I highly doubt any monkey will own one of these so....

On another not seems Cotic bolts their front shock mount on as well. I guess they know something we don't?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
View attachment 124998 I highly doubt any monkey will own one of these so....

On another not seems Cotic bolts their front shock mount on as well. I guess they know something we don't?
Would love to give that Cotic a go... almost bought one when they first came out but they were sold out and the arrival of the next batch was unknown.

Theorizing that the reason for the bolt-on could be could be to minimize heating the tube at that point. Also, keeping options open as StiHacka pointed effectively future-proofs it.

dcamp29

Monkey
Feb 14, 2004
Colorado
This place is getting a little old and curmudgeon'y, that used to be the charm but now it's getting to be a bit much. Who really wants to ride an 8lb frame!?
x2

Seriously a 8lb steel frame is cool if you or your buddies made it. Not so cool when you spend $1800? on it. Might as well buy a beginner TIG and some tubing for that kinda money.

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
But wouldn't the load be just as distributed with a similar sized bracket welded on?
It depends on the construction, alu thingy should be safer for thin wall steel tubing, because of possible local buckling. Also, You do loose A LOT of material strength with welding too, no matter if it is super duper Reynolds (which are basically processed Carpenter company alloys btw), regular 4130 or just mild steel.

I'm not sure if that is the case with that Privee frame tho, as they do use a "reinforcement" between the down tube and the alu piece. Also, I'm not sure why is this gusset welded all the way to the down tube, as it just negates the point of using the gusset in the 1st place. It should move the load to the less stressed location, which is the sides of the tube (and the welds should be placed just there). But let's be clear, with 3.9kg trail frame they did not put a lot of thought in that design anyway.

@dcamp29 it is not 1800 USD, it is 1900EUR, which is over 2050 USD :brows:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
This place is getting a little old and curmudgeon'y, that used to be the charm but now it's getting to be a bit much. Who really wants to ride an 8lb frame!?
x2
Seriously a 8lb steel frame is cool if you or your buddies made it. Not so cool when you spend $1800? on it. Might as well buy a beginner TIG and some tubing for that kinda money.
Well hello there! Remember the part about how I asked you to self-identify and exit this thread... this is not for you? I see you're still here. Who wants to ride an 8lb frame you ask? Clearly some in this thread find it interesting. There's plenty of room for ideas that stray from the mainstream. In fact that's where some of the most interesting things are happening.