Quantcast

Pro-war now?

patconnole

Monkey
Jun 4, 2002
bellingham WA
After reading the article in the thread "seems like the protesters only listen to one opinion, their own," one phrase caught my attention-- something like "Bush rule is 1000 better than Saddam's rule" (It was a bit different, but the same idea).

So, what do all you crazy "peaceniks" here think of that? It's been stuck in my head all day.

Should we take the lesser of two evils? I don't think this war has anything to do with helping out the Iraqi people (it may though, if the opinions describing Bush's "messiah" complex are correct), but if we stick it out and build a better government there, things would be better for those people.

I know it's very complicated, with the vacuum effect, the different ethnic groups there, there being no democracies nearby, etc, etc..... But just in general, why shouldn't we take Bush's offer to help them even with all the empire, oil, etc strings attached?

patconnole

Monkey
Jun 4, 2002
bellingham WA
More white house stuff, on our "democratizing" goals for Iraq. The President is giving a speech tonight, and will apparently mention some of this. Notice Helen Thomas' questions near the end.

Q On the Canadian call, is there anything that the President finds acceptable in their compromise proposal at the U.N.?

MR. FLEISCHER: Well, the President has offered a resolution that he thinks is the way to go. And the President will continue to talk to leaders around the world to make the case for that resolution. And he is confident in the end that his position will be accepted and voted on.

Q What's his feeling about the Canadian resolution?

MR. FLEISCHER: Why don't you describe it to me.

Q I think you're very familiar with it.

MR. FLEISCHER: If there something specific you want to bring to my attention about it --

Q One thing, it would push back -- push back the timetable.

MR. FLEISCHER: The President has not established a timetable. The President has said that time is running out, and he has said weeks, not months. And that's the timetable the President has established.

Q It would establish a deadline, as well.

MR. FLEISCHER: The resolution that the President has proposed in the United Nations or their allies does not discuss a specific hard resolution.

Q So what do you think about establishing a deadline?

MR. FLEISCHER: The President believes that the resolution that the United States, the UK, and Spain have proposed is the right way to go, and that's what he is urging action to be taken on.

Q If I could just really quickly follow. Is it accurate, then, to say he opposes the Canadian compromise?

MR. FLEISCHER: The point the President is making is that time is running out, and that this issue has to come to a conclusion, that the time is coming for Saddam Hussein to be disarmed. And that's the point the President has made.

Q Ari, the President is going to talk tonight about the future of Iraq as he sees it. What does he think is the level of sacrifice and some of the downsides to American-led occupation of Iraq after an invasion? And what does he envision the immediate outcome will be, not only in Iraq, but in the area?

MR. FLEISCHER: The President will get into this at some length tonight, but this will be a big-picture speech about the situation in Iraq. It will be a big picture piece about peace and disarmament. The President will talk in the speech about what the future may hold, not only for the people of Iraq, once liberated and allowed to become on their own, democratic; but also what it means for the security of the region, because the President believes that a free Iraq will lead to a more stable Mideast.

Q What about the consequences of American-led occupation of a country in the Middle East?

MR. FLEISCHER: Well, the President has made clear that in the event of hostilities in Iraq, the United States will stay for as long as necessary, but not a day longer. And therefore, the President continues to look at this as a situation where the people of Iraq are capable of governing Iraq. And that is the future of Iraq -- an Iraq governed by the Iraqis.

Q One more question about this. Everybody talks about democracy and liberation for the Iraqi people. He doesn't really believe that it's going to be the sort of democracy that exists here in America, does he?

MR. FLEISCHER: Tune in tonight. The President has very strong --

Q Wait a second. Why do the American people have to wait until a speech before the American Enterprise Institute? Why can't you just answer the question? We're not talking about organic democracy the way it exists here, right? Because if that were the case, then maybe Iraq would be split up in some way.

MR. FLEISCHER: Well, if I answer your question, are you going to go to the speech? I want you to still attend the speech tonight, David.

Q You know I'll be in both places.

MR. FLEISCHER: I hope -- (laughter) -- at the same time. No, the President, of course, believes that democracy can spread to Iraq. Why shouldn't it? Democracy is not boxed in. Democracy doesn't live in limits. Democracy, as the President says, is God's gift to the world. Liberty does not come from America. Liberty is a naturally endowed right that comes from the Creator, according to our own Declaration of Independence. There is no reason in the world that the President does not think that democracy can spread. And the President does believe that the people of Iraq are fully capable of living under a democratic way of life. Of course, they are.

Q Then why are you going to bomb them? (Laughter.) I mean, how do you bomb people back to democracy? This is a question of conquest. They didn't ask to be liberated by the United States. This is our self-imposed political solution for them.

MR. FLEISCHER: Let me guess that you will not be at the speech tonight. Helen, the President is going to --

Q I'll be very interested in what the President has to say because I don't think -- I think if you ask five people anywhere, what's the reason the President wants to go to war, you'll get five different answers. Usually there's one defining moment and solution.

MR. FLEISCHER: Tonight, the President is going to discuss this. I think you will hear the President tonight talk about the threat of Saddam Hussein and how he poses a danger to the American --

Q In 12 years he hasn't done anything.

MR. FLEISCHER: We will temporarily suspend the Q&A portion of today's briefing to bring you this advocacy minute. (Laughter.)