Quantcast

Procore / Ghettocore progress thread

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
FYI

E-mailed to see if CushCore will do a custom set for the regular price. The answer is "Yes"
So, if you need / want two different sizes, such as a 26 rear and 27.5 front, or you and a buddy both want a rear, but in different sizes etc etc, you are good to go. This saves you 25.00 for the valves which are included in a set, but not for an individual.

That is all.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I can't be bothered to read back through the thread, but remind me again why we're not simply running DH casing tires given the weight of these things?

I haven't ridden on dirt in so long, all my intuitive thinking on the subject is gone.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
remind me again why we're not simply running DH casing tires given the weight of these things?
I am. But i'm also still happily running 26" versions with zero problems.

apparently you'll have to forgive me. :drag:

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Something new: Spin Shield
s1600_SpinShield_4.jpg

Vital says: A brand new project out of France, the brainchild of William Genovese, SpinShield aims to prevent flats but also to allow a rider to finish the run if it should happen. The green part is made of a harder material, it serves to lock the tire against the rim. The special valve is used to tighten the strip around the rim once installed, which should make it easier to install than some other systems. The white foam is softer, and designed to let you ride out your run. This is the DH version, there is also an enduro version which focuses more on protecting against pinchflats (different material used there).

Website http://www.spin-shield.com no info so far except their test riders including Vergier

Metamorphic

Monkey
May 12, 2015
Cackalack
Is this the right thread? Cush Core question.

I started running Cush Core on the rear last October and guys it'll blow your tits off. Zero flats. From October through present. From a guy who blew up 6 tires in 7 weeks in The Flat Times of 2017. So I am totally sold. But here's my question - run it on the front too? I have never done it. I am doing it primarily for flat protection and knock on wood, I have not had that issue on the front. THAT SAID, I can see the benefit to moar traxxxion on the front via lower pressures you can get by with if a CC is mounted on the front.

What are the monkeys' thoughts? I am building a 29 wheelset this weekend and will either be mounting da Cush on rear or on both.....

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009

I started running Cush Core on the rear last October and guys it'll blow your tits off. Zero flats. From October through present. From a guy who blew up 6 tires in 7 weeks in The Flat Times of 2017. So I am totally sold. But here's my question - run it on the front too? I have never done it. I am doing it primarily for flat protection and knock on wood, I have not had that issue on the front. THAT SAID, I can see the benefit to moar traxxxion on the front via lower pressures you can get by with if a CC is mounted on the front.

What are the monkeys' thoughts? I am building a 29 wheelset this weekend and will either be mounting da Cush on rear or on both.....
I did both at the same time, I am 240lb with gear and a 2.2lb Enduro tyre on the front will either squirm or feel harsh, a DH tyre feels good but it adds the same weight as running CC so I did that. I love it equally in front and rear, now I can point my bike(hardtail) across a rut at speed and not have to worry about the front tyre folding and if it does it only goes to a point and you feel the foam hit and the bike is still controllable.

I had never really heard of it and one night I stumbled across it after a few beers at home and they must have made the price seem somewhat sensible, I'd happily pay the price for it again though, great product.

Metamorphic

Monkey
May 12, 2015
Cackalack
I had never really heard of it and one night I stumbled across it after a few beers at home and they must have made the price seem somewhat sensible, I'd happily pay the price for it again though, great product.
Brilliant - maybe I'll have a few brews prior to forking over the cost, because otherwise it sure does hurt. The product has saved me way more in tire costs, so I call it a win....#logic

What PSI do you run in your front?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Hmmm, I'm not really sure what pressure I ran, for some reason mine shipped with valve stems that were about fifty foot tall so I just used my old tubeless ones which make it impossible to read pressure as the foam covers the in/outlet. I am back to the old pinchometer, but you have to squeeze the top rather than the sides now.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo

Yes run front. You will be able to run lower pressure and maximize traction without the tire folding over. Plus pinch flat resistance.

For PSI, I am running 18/22 F/R. On 29" x 2.6" Maxxis Rekons. Will probably run same psi on Maxxis DHF/Agressor combo which is up next.

I weigh 190 w/ gear. My buddy who is 215 runs same pressures and generally smashes things more than I, including strava pr's. FWIW.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I've never tried an actual pool noodle but I have the Vittoria noodle in my back tire and it feels real nice. I prefer the Cush Core because it locks the bead in but these Vittoria ones feel really progressive (maybe more than CC but hard to tell) and make me want to try and rim the tire anywhere I can. Sections where I would normally tip-toe through to avoid flatting are now rim smash test opportunities. It makes the suspension feel really good too.

Last edited:

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
Interesting take on the whole insert vs properly designed tire from Maxxis:

https://m.vitalmtb.com/photos/features/WINNING-BIKE-Loris-Vergiers-Santa-Cruz-V10cc-29,11872/Maxxis-Minion-DHR-II-Rear-Tire-with-Breaker-Construction,123355/sspomer,2

I'm not getting it at all though, since the Vital piece states they are adding extra material (~50 grams) to the rolling/center part of the tire. Aren't procore and its siblings all about preventing pinch flats and snake bites?
Something like Huck Norris is good for pinch flats. But the heavy inserts help control rebound of the tire. Adding 50gr to the tire is better than 260gr insert if it works.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Interesting take on the whole insert vs properly designed tire from Maxxis:

https://m.vitalmtb.com/photos/features/WINNING-BIKE-Loris-Vergiers-Santa-Cruz-V10cc-29,11872/Maxxis-Minion-DHR-II-Rear-Tire-with-Breaker-Construction,123355/sspomer,2

I'm not getting it at all though, since the Vital piece states they are adding extra material (~50 grams) to the rolling/center part of the tire. Aren't procore and its siblings all about preventing pinch flats and snake bites?
Maybe the IRC Kujo will make a comeback, 2.65" is on trend right now.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Just finished the Trans BC event for cooked old DHers that are scared. One thing is for sure - Cushcore is not a substitute for a good sidewall. So many riders sliced EXO GRID or snakeskin casings and then had the added bonus of wrestling with a foam insert to try and fix their shit.

dcamp29

Monkey
Feb 14, 2004
Colorado
just did megavalanche... rear flatted (DD Minion DHF 2.3) with a cushcore during the qualifier and rode it (fast) for 15 minutes to the finish. 1 dent in rim (probably from whatever flatted my tire) and beads were still locked on the rim.

9/10 impressed. Would be 10/10 if I hadn't flatted. haha

Also emailed Maxxis asking for DH casing tires with the medium speed rubber (MaxxTerra instead of MaxxGrip). DH Casing+sticky rubber is too slow rolling. Like everyone I would rather have a +150g heavier tire that didn't flat instead of a 1000g tire + 300g insert and still be able to flat/cut the tire.

Last edited:

dcamp29

Monkey
Feb 14, 2004
Colorado
Yeah- would be ideal for enduro guys as a rear tire AND DH bikes could use same tire, same casing with different rubber front to back to balance wear and grip.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Yeah- would be ideal for enduro guys as a rear tire AND DH bikes could use same tire, same casing with different rubber front to back to balance wear and grip.
You mean like what they do for both not-29er wheel sizes?

I see a solution here! :D

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
just did megavalanche... rear flatted (DD Minion DHF 2.3) with a cushcore during the qualifier and rode it (fast) for 15 minutes to the finish. 1 dent in rim (probably from whatever flatted my tire) and beads were still locked on the rim.

9/10 impressed. Would be 10/10 if I hadn't flatted. haha

Also emailed Maxxis asking for DH casing tires with the medium speed rubber (MaxxTerra instead of MaxxGrip). DH Casing+sticky rubber is too slow rolling. Like everyone I would rather have a +150g heavier tire that didn't flat instead of a 1000g tire + 300g insert and still be able to flat/cut the tire.
hey all...fucking props to @dcamp29 are due from everyone on this damn forum. 2nd ‘murican (by one spot) and 14th overall at this years’ megavalanche. hellllzzzzzzz yeahhhhhhh.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I hit a rock (@3:33)

-

Damn dude, that e-bike really seems to make .those trails fly, it's almost like fast forward. :brows:

By the sounds of things, I would harf a lung just trying to get on my bike at that altitude.
Nice riding, with some really good line choice. Seriously well done effort. :cheers: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Monkey Represents :monkey:

Loki87

Monkey
Aug 24, 2008
Salzburg, Austria
https://www.bike-components.de/de/cSixx/FOAMO-Wide-Double-Decker-Durchschlagschutz-p64123/

https://www.bikehub.co.za/features/_/articles/sponsored/no-more-missing-out-with-csixxs-foamo-tyre-inserts-r6727

That stuff actually looks kinda promising.
It´s still heavy in the double decker construction but it beats cushcore by miles in price.
So it is possible to produce cheap spacefoam thingys despite what the lizards told us about how those are not just ordinary pool noodles. Who would have thought...

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
There is a French article comparing/reviewing a few of the options available here: http://www.endurotribe.com/2018/08/comparatif-cushcore-procore-mr-wolf-cie-les-dispositifs-anti-pincement/
The article is quite interactive so be sure you unfold everything before translating.

Their conclusion goes a bit like this: if you think you can go away with much lower pressure and/or lighter casing because you use any of these: you are wrong!

I'll agree, I never understood the really low pressure people run. Go too low and the side knobs push into the casing. But a few psi less and rebound damping is nice.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Just finished the Trans BC event for cooked old DHers that are scared. One thing is for sure - Cushcore is not a substitute for a good sidewall. So many riders sliced EXO GRID or snakeskin casings and then had the added bonus of wrestling with a foam insert to try and fix their shit.
I just installed cush core for the first time 10 minutes ago (rumors of the horror were greatly exaggerated, took me less than 1 beer to get through one wheel). I can totally see how this could be an issue. The lower part of the sidewall, near the bead feels very noticeably stiffer with it in there. Seems potentially awesome for smashing and sidewall support, but I can also see how it would lead to more cuts, since the sidewall is held in place much more firmly and maybe can't squish out of the way.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Came here to post that. Anus Armour?

Seems like it'd result in a pretty stiff tire, no? And how will that not pinch the tube? :confused:

Looks like it'd be a down right pain in the ass to get all mounted up too...

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Fuck all this shit.

Next it will be a tire company with a version with foam pre-installed onto the inner carcass.

or, better yet, foam core sidewalls / carcass, foam pre-injected and sandwiched between the outer and inner rubber walls.
This will of course have various combinations of fibers, cords, rubber inserts, aforementioned foam and in-molded bumpers / protection strips anointed with the latest and greatest bafflegab from the lizzard copywriters.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!