Quantcast

Project EARTHWORM WAKEUP, 1st communication

WaveDude

Chimp
Sep 7, 2001
TX
fiberglass shovels suck
After you snap a few fiberglass and wood handled shovels, you can "retro-fit" them with a 5' galvanized pipe typically used for chain-link fences. You'll have to slot one end to make it fit, then jam in a piece of wood or PVC to expand it but they're damn near indestructable after that.

Zach Dank

Turbo Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
Gnarcal
Shovels smovels. I've cracked one in the last 2 years, and that was trying to wedge out an 80 pound rock. I use the 8 dollar wood shovels from any wallmart or ace hardware. Anything more is a waste of money.:bonk:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Shovels smovels. I've cracked one in the last 2 years, and that was trying to wedge out an 80 pound rock. I use the 8 dollar wood shovels from any wallmart or ace hardware. Anything more is a waste of money.:bonk:
My thick heavy shovels are an augementation of my manhood.

I buy heavy tools instead of lifting my truck.

I can't stand pinner tools. They all gitter dun though.

After you snap a few fiberglass and wood handled shovels, you can "retro-fit" them with a 5' galvanized pipe typically used for chain-link fences. You'll have to slot one end to make it fit, then jam in a piece of wood or PVC to expand it but they're damn near indestructable after that.
That sounds insanely heavy.

Blown04GT

Chimp
Apr 14, 2008
Raleigh, NC
This thread is like looking at a DuPont Registry (if you like exotics). The cars are friggin sick as hell, but you know you'll never get to drive one.

You guys have created the sickest trails evar!! Awesome work!

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
RIGID makes an all steel shovel that's good for prying rocks and stuff. It's like a mid 90's S&M tho - heavy as f**k. And they only have them in the pointed nosed version. I have an old one that was rewelded to move big rocks.

To be honest I like the $20 wood handled RIGID's. Get some spray paint and give it a camo job so a$$holes don't find it hidden and boost it. I'm sure some of you will agree - there is nothing more fustrating to find your tools stolen.

Wheelbarrows are another thing to argue about. I've seen contractor ones w/ resin buckets and a wide mower type tire but they're $200+. Too nice for most spots but I wouldn't mind one for a private area. I keep a UK style wheelbarrow (weird metal handle style) at the trails. It's light and doesn't hold too much dirt which makes it easier to get up lips and landings and various hills. It's also narrow which is good to get into tight spaces.

Tee Buck

Monkey
Nov 7, 2007
NorCal
The Do It center has the best shovels for $6.99. I broke one and took it back in and they gave me a new one even after it sat out in the rain for a week.
Now thats service!

Zach Dank

Turbo Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
Gnarcal
The Do It center has the best shovels for $6.99. I broke one and took it back in and they gave me a new one even after it sat out in the rain for a week.
Now thats service!
Get your bike rollin dude man. Me and you is gonna shed the Hive in a few days!!

scag

Monkey
Nov 19, 2004
This thread delivers the shovel info. Good stuff.
Shovels with good warranties are where it is at.
Home Depot used to carry wooden "AMES" brand shovels with a lifetime warranty. I havent found anything that stood up to those. I did break one once and brought it back to HD...I still had the receipt and they took it back no questions. Even though there was no part of the shovel that you could ID it as an AMES. I think i'm going to start taping the receipts to the handle so they will never be lost...

Zach Dank

Turbo Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
Gnarcal
Home Depot used to carry wooden "AMES" brand shovels with a lifetime warranty. I havent found anything that stood up to those. I did break one once and brought it back to HD...I still had the receipt and they took it back no questions. Even though there was no part of the shovel that you could ID it as an AMES. I think i'm going to start taping the receipts to the handle so they will never be lost...
Yeah, i have a few Ames shovels right now. I think they carry them at Walmart now.

WaveDude

Chimp
Sep 7, 2001
TX
Time for a shovel showdown/dig-off. I'll find some land and invite all of ya'll over to dig and shape and pack. Last shovel still in one piece at the end wins.

P.S. I get to keep the trails when they are done. All diggers would be welcome to ride.

musicman

Chimp
Jul 18, 2004
My point was, $8 shovel, or $35 shovel, Quality dirt, $hit dirt, it doesn't matter.

We have had a few of the orange fiberglass Ridgids. I liked them, but also have seen them crack like a motherfycker.
home depot, bronco flat nose, $12 best **** ever

S4Sean

Chimp
Apr 30, 2008
7.99 Shovel from Walmart, with the 2.99 shovel SKU number, courtesy of my extremely cheap, dirtbag of a digging buddy lol.
Removed a 175+ pound rock.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Read the thread from front to back (including the shovel debate) and all I can say is willpower combined with knowhow get you somewhere (dirt jumping wise!).

These jumps are simply the shizzle, I mean...