Quantcast

Project: Single speed commuter

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Yo. Here be my new project bike (not the actual bike...but closest pic I can find on the intarwebz):

It's a 1980's era Motobecane Super Mirage.

Anyway, I'm going to take pics this weekend when I pick it up from my brother-in-law (originally my dad's bike, but bro-in-law is smaller than I and commuted on it for about a year...he recently got a new bike and now it's mine again!! w00t!). I should be able to strip it and get it ready for new parts sometime this weekend...

Plans are as follows:
- New cranks (Hopefully I can find an external BB system that fits...Maybe go with some new Ultegra cranks), pedals (Ultegra), chainring, rear cog
- New rear wheel built for my fat ass (I think I'm going to try and stay away from the fixie route...I'm not nearly trendy enough to look good in chick pants.)
- Flat bars, lock-on grips (cause I'm a DH'er like that)
- New brakes (Maybe some Ultegra 6600's but I might go with something Avid...like the Shorty 4 <--on my current commuter...decent enough for me.)

The only thing I don't think I'll be able to do anything about without significant assistance from someone that knows their sh*t, is replacing the stem...which should be fine since every component on the bike is probably solid steel.

WaHoo.

Last edited:

Stray_cat

Monkey
Nov 13, 2007
Providence
Nice, I have a motobecane really similar to that... I can't remember what year though. The frame is a work horse. Personally I'd skimp a wee bit on the cranks and put more money into the wheels, but that's just me. Enjoy the lugs!

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Nice, I have a motobecane really similar to that... I can't remember what year though. The frame is a work horse. Personally I'd skimp a wee bit on the cranks and put more money into the wheels, but that's just me. Enjoy the lugs!
It'll take me awhile to acquire all the parts monetarily, so it's not exactly a priority...but I'm 6'7" and 275 on a good day...so I tend to shred drivetrain's and snap spokes at will...this one's getting done right the first time.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I would go with the older style Ultegra cranks, they can be had for cheap and you're not going to be racing that bike. Any plans to paint?

JewBagel

Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
oregon
Do you know the BB thread? It's a french frame and most likely has the ****ty french thread, in which case you won't be able to get anything besides new arms because no one has made that thread for a while now.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Do you know the BB thread? It's a french frame and most likely has the ****ty french thread, in which case you won't be able to get anything besides new arms because no one has made that thread for a while now.
That would suck....in a case like that can mill out the BB and put in a press fit?

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Oh dear god....I totally forgot about that...

I do know that my bro-in-law was able to put in a new cartridge bearing BB about 4 months ago...so that gives me hope. *Crosses fingers*

ire said:
Any plans to paint?
Not at this time. Maybe I'll tape off the the BB and headtube and rattlecan it a nice day-glo orange w/ green accents. I could pull that off!!! :pirate2:

Seriously though...no.

NastySid

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
Sweden
there are french BB available for square oldschool BBs..

They costs alot of money tho..

Didn't sheldonbrown have some of those btw?

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Aight. So I finally stripped it. The frame is in fabulously good condition and cleaned up really well.

For those that care:

-The BB is a standard thread. Has a pretty new square taper cartridge BB so anything ISIS or external (that's the right size) should be fine.

-The original brake calipers will most likey work fine after I clean them up a bit. Just need new cables, housing, and levers (along with the new bar and grips).

-The existing front wheel might actually work o.k. after all.

-Not quite sure what I'm going to do with the bars and the stem as of yet...might need to do some further tinkering to remove the bars...*shrug*

-Will probably need a new, longer seat post.

And now the pics:

I'm going to talk to a local wheel builder this coming week and see what they can do for me regarding the rear (single speed specific, no dish...etc etc...) along with what crank/bb combo and gearing.

That's all for now.

-G

Edit: Gaaaaahhh!!! Photobucket really hoses up the resolution on those pics...damn it...