Quantcast

Prokop wins four cross world title

Oct 20, 2009
<p>Michal Prokop won the four cross world championship in Champery, Switzerland, on Friday evening. The Czech racer, aboard his P. Bike, was first to cross the line at the end of an exciting, crash-filled finale under the lights in front of a large, boisterous crowd.</p><p>
</p><p>
"It feels perfect to win my third World title after so many years," said Prokop.</p><p>
</p><p>
Prokop took on Roger Rinderknecht (Switzerland), Joost Wichman (Netherlands) and former world champion Jared Graves (Australia) after working his way into the finals. He had qualified fastest,giving him first lane choice and was considered to be among the favorites.</p><p>
</p><p>
"It was crazy. In the final round, my gate wasn't so good, but I managed to be second into the first corner, and then Joost Wichman crashed," said Prokop.</p><p>
</p><p>
Wichman's crash took out Rinderknect first, then Prokop, and nearly got Graves who managed to dab a foot and ride over Rinderknecht. It looked like the Australian would ride away with it, but a few meters later, he crashed too - with a flat tire caused after clipping someone's downed bike. </p><p>
</p><p>
"Suddenly all four of us were on the ground," said Prokop.</p><p>
</p><p>
With Graves' chances clearly finished, the agile Prokop was the fastest of the remaining three to get back up and riding again. </p><p>
</p><p>
"I took my bike as quickly as possible and sprinted to the finish line. My handlebars were all twisted and my bike wouldn't shift, and I was praying to get down in one piece."</p><p>
</p><p>
Although he was chased by a persistent Rinderknecht, Prokop rode smoothly the rest of the way to the line.</p><p>
</p><p>
"Somehow I managed to get down and win," said the freshly crowned world champion, sporting his new rainbow striped jersey.</p><p>
</p><p>
"My Specialized bike worked great all night. It was just what I needed out of the gate and through the corners."</p>

More...