Quantcast

Propane grills

We have used a Weber kettle with charcoal forever.

It's getting to be a PITA to deal with fueling, ignition, and disposal of ashes, so Ihave been using it less.

At H's suggestion, I took a sidelong look at propane grills today - price is all over the place, quality is indeterminate.

I usually grill, very occasionally roast beef or a chicken, so I'm thinking something simple, no rotisserie or any of that crap.

Who uses them, what do you like, what do you hate, &c. &c.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
stick with charcoal. never use briquets or fluid or else you dont deserve nicely grilled meats and veggies and fishes

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
We have used a Weber kettle with charcoal forever.

It's getting to be a PITA to deal with fueling, ignition, and disposal of ashes, so Ihave been using it less.

At H's suggestion, I took a sidelong look at propane grills today - price is all over the place, quality is indeterminate.

I usually grill, very occasionally roast beef or a chicken, so I'm thinking something simple, no rotisserie or any of that crap.

Who uses them, what do you like, what do you hate, &c. &c.
Been successfully grilling bomb ass meals on a shitty hand me down propane grill a few nights a week for years. The convenience of turning on the grill and having food on the table quickly should not be overlooked.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I have always thought a small bike mounted grill or flattop would be a nice bike accessory. Get to the top of a long climb and have a grilled cheese or an omelet and those tasty as fuck maple breakfast sausages (the brown and serve ones, you know you love them..). You would need a little tiny fridge to transport the eggs and butter. A little franks hot sauce bar mounted holder. Bar mounted bloody mary sippy cup thing with one of those crazy straw bad boys....

All that aside a good combo grill will run you some coin. I use this one regularly
Its a char griller duo. At first I was look at this space ship and hated it. Now that I have some time on it. I love it. They are costly however.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I've got a Weber Genesis E330 hooked up to a natural gas line on the patio. It's nice. Consumer Reports likes it and so do I.

We had some generic crap one from Home Depot before, and the differences are readily evident: heat uniformity (huge deal!), construction, ease of cleaning.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
He could carry a chicken in a small coupe and a butter churn, I suppose.
fresh eggs can stay at room temp for a week without refrigeration. but once refrigerated, eggs can be out at room temp ~2 hours with no extra risk of bacteria growth. or up to 24 hours as long as they are cooked through (no over easy or poached, ie anything runny).

butter is good at room temp for 24 hours, or up to a week if stored in an airtight container (but flavor might be affected).

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Look into a traeger. Kinda pricey but worth it. I'd recommend one size up from the junior simply for pellet capacity. Convenience of propane, but food tastes way better. Plus you can easily smoke things which is fun. My main complaint is that it doesn't get as hot as a propane or charcoal setup, so I can't cook steaks the way I like. So easy that my wife, who doesn't even like using propane, loves to use it.
Makes good pizzas too, with a stone at max temp of 450. Hotter would be better, but doesn't make a mess of our oven inside and tastes great

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
Have you heard of ice, ice packs and dry ice? Also my fresh eggs can sit on the counter for longer than a week.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
fresh eggs can stay at room temp for a week without refrigeration. but once refrigerated, eggs can be out at room temp ~2 hours with no extra risk of bacteria growth. or up to 24 hours as long as they are cooked through (no over easy or poached, ie anything runny).

butter is good at room temp for 24 hours, or up to a week if stored in an airtight container (but flavor might be affected).
I'm a recovering Foodie, of course I know this stuff.

Sarcasm detector must need new batteries. That or you're trying to take up the slack in Syadasti's abscence.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Have you heard of ice, ice packs and dry ice? Also my fresh eggs can sit on the counter for longer than a week.
I will need a tiny ice maker on my little fridge for Old Fashions and Vodka Gimlets.... Ice packs and dry ice... Sounds like I would always forget them at home... Then where will I be? Out in the wilderness with spoiled eggs, melted butter, fermented Grey Poupon, and thawed out nasty breakfast sausages... The bread would get mushded under the weight of all those Ice packs. And the eggs would get crusheded from not being in the egg holders on the door. I am not as stupid as I seem.....

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm a recovering Foodie, of course I know this stuff.

Sarcasm detector must need new batteries. That or you're trying to take up the slack in Syadasti's abscence.
no, just sharing some info i've recently learned. also, did you notice the lack of a lecture on the benefits of free range cage free non gmo organic eggs and better?

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Traegers are nice, but super expensive....

If you want something better that costs less, look into camp chefs, but remember these are more for smoking and slow cooking rather than grilling.

For a simple propane grill, don't skimp. Get something with a quality grill, and many burners.

This is what I have, it works great, no hotspots, from low to holy hell high temps.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Dyna-Glo-5-Burner-Open-Cart-LP-Gas-Grill-in-Stainless-Steel-and-Black-with-Side-Burner-DGF510PBP-D/302774518

Not over priced, fuel efficient, nice grill racks, holds year in the winter.....

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Traegers are nice, but super expensive....

If you want something better that costs less, look into camp chefs, but remember these are more for smoking and slow cooking rather than grilling.

For a simple propane grill, don't skimp. Get something with a quality grill, and many burners.

This is what I have, it works great, no hotspots, from low to holy hell high temps.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Dyna-Glo-5-Burner-Open-Cart-LP-Gas-Grill-in-Stainless-Steel-and-Black-with-Side-Burner-DGF510PBP-D/302774518

Not over priced, fuel efficient, nice grill racks, holds year in the winter.....
Got my traeger jr for $350 at Costco. Green mountain is another option- I have a couple friends who like theirs. You're right that it's a cooker and a smoker, but for must stuff it's amazing. Only lacks in blasting things with heat which a cheap propane unit can accomplish.
I agree on not skimping if you've got the funds. I would have a $750 traeger if I had $$$

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Got my traeger jr for $350 at Costco. Green mountain is another option- I have a couple friends who like theirs. You're right that it's a cooker and a smoker, but for must stuff it's amazing. Only lacks in blasting things with heat which a cheap propane unit can accomplish.
I agree on not skimping if you've got the funds. I would have a $750 traeger if I had $$$
How is this for value..... Take in mind this is full retail
https://www.campchef.com/smokers-grills/wood-pellet-grills-and-accessories/pellet-grills-and-smokers/camp-chef-woodwind-pellet-grill-with-sear-box.html

Now go but it from a dealer, gonna be cheaper

What I really like about the camp chefs, is they took the complaints people had about traegers and fixed them. You can drain the pellet hopper so you can change flavors with ease, and super super easy to empty the ash box as well.......

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I use my propane grill (I tell ya hwhut) at least several times a week all year and I echo Sandwich's statement on the Weber Spirit. I've had it for a couple of years now and it works great and nothing has broken. I had a Vermont Castings grill before this one and it started to fall apart after only a couple of years. Being a boutique brand, I had a very hard time finding parts for it and had to cannibalize parts from the grill itself, like using parts from the side burner to fix the main burner. I get fed up with more and more shit breaking so I gave up on it after about five years and got the Weber, partially because I know I'll have an easy time getting parts if needed (not needed yet).

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I grill all the damn time. Bottles are $20 exchange or $15 to refill. I bought an OK 3 burner for less than $150 3 years ago and it still works. I've been very happy with my setup, but a 4 burner would be nice. It does have an external burner for pots of things that I use sometimes as well.

The main selling point for mine was cast iron grates. Once properly seasoned, they work amazing.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
I've had.....and I'm not kidding you here....my Holland stainless steel grill for over 25 years now.

It's been through college, 4 different moves, every weather condition you can throw at it - about every 3-4 years, I take it apart and power wash it...looks like new. I've replaced the burners a few times as well as the hoses/regulator, but it still has the same grill screen/wheels/stand as it did from day one.

I keep one of those smaller charcoal grills for when the dish requires that charcoal taste, but the Holland.....it will never die.

https://www.hollandgrill.com/